Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Poll

What breaking strain leader do you mostly use when Barra fishing?

Less than 10lb
11 to 20lb
21 to 30lb
31 to 40lb
41 to 50lb
51 to 60lb
61 to 80lb
81 to 100lb
higher than 100lb
Other - I will post a reply

Author Topic: Barra leaders ?  (Read 70738 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Barra leaders ?
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2010, 04:39:42 PM »
Remember watching the Dam Hot dvds & seeing Matt Fraser catching big barra on 6kg line. I'm wondering who is going to tell him he's got it all wrong.
I guess its just another example of one fisho having different knowlege and techniques being used.

Open water Vs thick snaggy timber makes a big difference in regard to the original question asked. Awoonga in some ways is quite similar to Tinaroo. Large areas of open water in the basin, you could pull up a horse with some fine cotton;)

Robbie Waterhouse pulled plenty in with fine cotton....but look where it got him!!! :) :)

I use 80lb supple balck magic for softies, and 60lb for Hardbodies. I have had no troubles with either. You can pull up fish with anything...but the percentage of bustoffs (timber or open) thru fault, or no fault of the angler will increase the lighter you go with leader just because of the fish and its charicteristics.

Cheers Steve

Cheers Steve

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • View Gallery
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »
Robbie Waterhouse pulled plenty in with fine cotton....but look where it got him!!! :) :)
I use 80lb supple balck magic for softies, and 60lb for Hardbodies. I have had no troubles with either. You can pull up fish with anything...but the percentage of bustoffs (timber or open) thru fault, or no fault of the angler will increase the lighter you go with leader just because of the fish and its charicteristics.
Cheers Steve

There's always a comedian, funny Steve. Nice one! :)
Your last sentence sums it up nicely.
Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2010, 05:43:16 PM »
Remember watching the Dam Hot dvds & seeing Matt Fraser catching big barra on 6kg line. I'm wondering who is going to tell him he's got it all wrong.
I guess its just another example of one fisho having different knowlege and techniques being used.

Open water Vs thick snaggy timber makes a big difference in regard to the original question asked. Awoonga in some ways is quite similar to Tinaroo. Large areas of open water in the basin, you could pull up a horse with some fine cotton.  ;)

Ask Matt what he uses these days .......  It wont be 6lb

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • View Gallery
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2010, 05:59:16 PM »

Cheers Steve

Cheers Steve

All it takes is to witness just once what one of these big beasts are capable of doing to a heavy leader!  -   
Once you do  .... if becomes difficult to really consider dropping down (in a big fish dam) .
I've had 2 big fish go through 80lb leader in under 10 seconds  -   not overly heavy drag
1 fish went through 80lb 10X in in one swipe of the gill rakers ........ big fish , all over red rover in a blink of an eye.

In the end - its up to the individual........ but why handicap your chances of landing what could be a fish of a lifetime

Chris

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 177
  • Liked: 35
  • Fishin more a religion than a pastime!
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Barratta Ck, Burdekin North Queensland
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2010, 05:10:42 AM »
All it takes is to witness just once what one of these big beasts are capable of doing to a heavy leader!  -   
Once you do  .... if becomes difficult to really consider dropping down (in a big fish dam) .
I've had 2 big fish go through 80lb leader in under 10 seconds  -   not overly heavy drag
1 fish went through 80lb 10X in in one swipe of the gill rakers ........ big fish , all over red rover in a blink of an eye.

In the end - its up to the individual........ but why handicap your chances of landing what could be a fish of a lifetime

Chris

Agree Chris, it was watching my daughter's 1m plus 'potential fish of a lifetime'  (she still talks about it) chomp through 60lb leader in a clear open run out into the basin after she had already fought it for sufficent time to think she had a look in to landing it that made me think - back to the future - why not wire like we used to?