Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: cania and wuruma dam  (Read 8757 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
cania and wuruma dam
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:07:12 AM »
hey guys i was thinking of doing a little road trip to both of these dams in the next few weeks or so and was wondering if anyone has fished them lately or if they had heard how they might be going.  both dams are at 100% and i think it is one of the first times wuruma has been that full.
thanks in advance for anyones help
ps are there redclaw in either of these dams also?

thanks matt

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
Re: cania and wuruma dam
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:38:01 AM »
Not sure how the fishing is up thier, but I can tell you I have spoken to a few fisho's who are going thier over the easter week end.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »
Yeah I was thinking of going there over the may day weekend.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »
Well it's a great looking dam, will be a great fishing spot in a couple of years after they restock it, if I could make a donation to the local fishing club I would, so if anyone can let me know that would be good.  We caught a lot of turtles and red claw, one large Jew and a few spangles.  The dam goes about 11km up the river now until you get to a road bridge.  Plenty of shrimp on the banks for bait.  A lot of fish holding around the island in front of the spillway but nothing bitting.  I must say I did enjoy the long weekend up thier.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 08:18:04 PM »
Well it's a great looking dam, will be a great fishing spot in a couple of years after they restock it, if I could make a donation to the local fishing club I would, so if anyone can let me know that would be good.  We caught a lot of turtles and red claw, one large Jew and a few spangles.  The dam goes about 11km up the river now until you get to a road bridge.  Plenty of shrimp on the banks for bait.  A lot of fish holding around the island in front of the spillway but nothing bitting.  I must say I did enjoy the long weekend up thier.

G'Day Rodney, assuming you're talking about Wuruma Dam.....

At one of the first Cania Dam fly comps (some years ago now), we told a couple of fellas the best saratoga were found up past the bridge. They came back next day wondering how far up the bridge was because they dragged their tinnie up through some rough country looking but couldn't find it. We told them they were only one corner away, so they tried again the next day..... Silly buggers believed us. It's marvellous what alcomohol will do. There aint no bridge if anyone is wondering.........   :-[   :-X

Fitzy..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 08:59:48 PM »
Gday Matt,

I've just got back from Cania & although I had a great weekend catching up with old friends & doing some wild 4wdriving the fishing was pretty average. Three of us fished for about for about fifteen hours each in total & covered a fair bit of the dam but only caught six Bass to 35cm one yella at 43cm & a couple of spangled perch. The dam is a vastly different place to what it was, lots of newly flooded country. I had the Redclaw pots in for four days for one claw, so it was worth going to check out the new dam but the fishing for us at least was pretty tuff. I did drop into Wuruma on the way back today with the idea of fishing it for a day or two but with heavy showers & strong wind I decided to head home.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 07:56:47 AM »
Yes Fitzy,  :o. I was talking about Wuruma, the trick with getting under the bridge at the moment would be to duck as my 4.5 meter side console Hornet would have just fitted under it, and as no one goes up there make sure you've got plenty of fuel or a sat phone.  At the moment there is 4.5meters of water depth under the bridge.  I did try my fly rod on the dam, next time I go up their probably in a couple of years, I'm gunna try that trick on the other side of the bridge for that elusive Saratoga “Just for the fun of it”.  Alcomohol stories and never let the truth get in the way of a good fishing story, keeps us looking just in case there was some truth in there somewhere.   ;)