Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: First fishing attempt on the upper Brissie.....How do I get there.  (Read 6869 times)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
G'Day all I've finally decided to make the effort and head south next w/end and have a fish of the upper Brissie river entering via the notorious Heart Attack Hill. I've printed off an aerial shot from goggle but wondering what is my best route there from the Sunshine Coast (Mooloolaba area) as my street directory is at the limit of the maps in that area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd be heading down early Sat. morning so if anyone is already heading there and wouldn't mind a Brissie virgin tagging along or just someone else to fish with let us know. At this stage I will be solo not sure if a mate will join me after a fish less "tour" last w/end exploring new water via our legs dragging our yaks through way to many portages. Cheers Pat.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: First fishing attempt on the upper Brissie.....How do I get there.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 08:42:14 AM »
Mate I live close by & go up the Sunny Coast every fortnight. The best way to go IMHO is via, Peachester, Kilcoy, Somerset Dam, then the back road along Wivenhoe to Fernvale (going through Esk is longer).
When you hit the Brisbane Valley Hwy, turn right towards Wivenhoe Dam wall (not left to Fernvale), take first road on left (Wivenhoe Pocket road) & just follow it. When you come to a crossroad, go straight ahead on Shines Road & you will end up at Heart Attack Hill at the end near the houses. Drive slow at the end so you don't stir up the dust near the houses, look for track off to right at the end of the dirt road. Close the gate behind you.

Have fun, bring good shoes for the climb back up the hill.....  :OMG

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
Thanks Fitzy that's exactly the type of info I needed. I was wondering about the slippery crocs climbing back up :o glad you filled me in on that one. I'll be heading down in the dark so avoiding wrong turns would save losing that prime time of the day - I better eat my weeties by the sound of it. Thanks again Fitz Cheers Pat.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The water ;)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 09:10:50 PM »
G'Day all I've finally decided to make the effort and head south next w/end and have a fish of the upper Brissie river entering via the notorious Heart Attack Hill. I've printed off an aerial shot from goggle but wondering what is my best route there from the Sunshine Coast (Mooloolaba area) as my street directory is at the limit of the maps in that area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd be heading down early Sat. morning so if anyone is already heading there and wouldn't mind a Brissie virgin tagging along or just someone else to fish with let us know. At this stage I will be solo not sure if a mate will join me after a fish less "tour" last w/end exploring new water via our legs dragging our yaks through way to many portages. Cheers Pat.

I am always keen mate, It was a fun creek to explore last weekend. Fish are usually a bonus in those situations.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 06:12:11 AM »
Lets us know how you go Pat im toying with the idea of going up Sunday morning.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 05:52:05 PM »
Will do Warren Sun. looks to be the better day wind wise but I've got committments hence my choice of Sat. Hoping not too much rain has fallen down there but looks like it was only light - a steep slippery climb is all you need after a long arm stretching session on the bass  ;D I hope. I'll update Sat. night Cheers Pat.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:19 PM »
yes im watching the weather too. its not going down the hill that worries me in the wet its coming back up. either way just remember to take a good length of rope for towing your yak down and then back up the hill, especially the launch spot. good luck.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:51:46 PM »
Just make sure you turn left at the big tree as you go down following the flood markers ( it leads to the more easier launching area .If you take the track to the right at the big tree ,you'll end up at the more difficult launching area ( which was the one used in the IFISH epsiode ) .Both have foot holes cut into the bank .

Downstream there are some sections of the river that are now 5-6 metres deep. Upstream averages 3-4 metres. The river has changed plenty since the flood , google satelite maps do not represent what it looks like now. Goodluck.

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 06:07:02 AM »
Thanks Dave very helpful info. Some serious water must get through there judging by those markers. With the wind forecast I'm contemplating doing it in more favourable conditions as I'd like to take the flyrod along. Being what looks like a couple of hours drive down I may wait till I stay at a friends place at Boondal one night and head up next day to cut out 45 mins or more. Leaving at 2 am for a 4-4.30 am launch  :o not tomorrow. Looks like I'll hit a local spot instead - still very tempted though knowing the wind shouldn't be too bad real early. Decisions decisions ????? Thanks again Cheers Pat.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 06:50:15 AM »
It fishes better in the afternoon, and be careful you don't trip over that chainsaw on your way down the hill.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 04:24:35 PM »
I decided with the strong wind to shanghai the Brissie river this morning and headed up the Mary river hoping the other side of the range wasn't as windy. It was marginally but still made positioning to snags a pain and alas no fish were caught. I will do a separate post under locations. Cheers Pat.