Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Freshwater Closed Seasons - Qld Fisheries Review  (Read 25526 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Qld Fisheries Review - Freshwater Closed Seasons
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 09:35:27 AM »
The problem is Dave, everybody's answer is a "guess".  You cannot formulate effective, enforcable fishing regulations based on a "guess".  There must be some verifiable data available.  Growth rates of Bass would indicate that those fish "could" be fingerlings we released just prior to the 2010 and 2011 floods and smaller fish now could be from 2012 releases.  Surely my "guess" is as good as your "guess" without data to back it up?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 11:41:43 AM »
Last September I got 2 Bass @ 35mm while collecting other fish in the tidal fresh of the Brisbane Dale. Recruitment or stocked could not say definitely but most likely recruitment. Spent a lot of time collecting various fish in brackish/fresh for 40 years and have caught a lot from 25 to 70mm in spring before and after stocking commenced. Anyway off topic in this thread sorry Fitz.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 12:00:50 PM »
As I said, it's all guesses.  Why do you propose to extend the closed season by one month?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »
Mary River Cod closed season.

From August 1 to November 1
Total fishing closure in the Mary catchment from point/points X upstream except in and upstream of Lake Macdonald, Lake Borumba, Baroon Pocket. 
Total fishing closure upstream of Tallegalla Weir in the Tinana Coondoo catchment.
Closed season in and upstream of those impoundments listed as exempt from the No Take legislation.

Point/points X any suggestions ? the junction of Six Mile Creek ?                                                     ;

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 12:20:37 PM »
As I said, it's all guesses.  Why do you propose to extend the closed season by one month?

Ample evidence of Stage 5 fish in May and Stage 6 fish in June though it varies year to year. Spawning triggers are natural, photoperiod, lunar, temperature not some arbitrary Gregorian calendar date.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »
" Add the paragraph to the regulations printed after the review as it appears for Barramundi in current printed material.
It is also prohibited to deliberately target Bass for catch and release during these closed seasons, as the stress of capture may prevent a fish from spawning. "
Excellent idea will leave no excuses for all the bush lawyers and shonky charter operators.
It is extremely important that all grey areas are removed from the legislation and matters are clearly spelt out with no chance of ambiguity

" We don't know if any of the fish stocked into Wivenhoe and Somerset are suitable for breeding.  "
Is there something different to the genetics of the fish placed in these 2 dams. It would appear that a lot of the hatcheries are now sourcing their brood stock from the dams rather than chasing wild fish.( Which in most cases are not truly wild anyhow}.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 05:30:45 PM »
" Add the paragraph to the regulations printed after the review as it appears for Barramundi in current printed material.
It is also prohibited to deliberately
 target Bass for catch and release during these closed seasons, as the stress of capture may prevent a fish from spawning. "
Excellent idea will leave no excuses for all the bush lawyers and shonky charter operators.
It is extremely important that all grey areas are removed from the legislation and matters are clearly spelt out with no chance of ambiguity

" We don't know if any of the fish stocked into Wivenhoe and Somerset are suitable for breeding.  "
Is there something different to the genetics of the fish placed in these 2 dams. It would appear that a lot of the hatcheries are now sourcing their brood stock from the dams rather than chasing wild fish.( Which in most cases are not truly wild anyhow}.
Cheers
Ray

Nothing different about Somerset and Wivenhoe fish from any other fish bought under the SIP scheme Ray.  They are not proven genetically pure, and they are definitely not stocked with the intention of them breeding/inbreeding. They are quite probably detrimental to any pure, wild Bass that may be left.  Then again, as I keep harping on, all this is just guess work isn't it?

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 05:44:38 PM »

Cheers
Ray
I think that is what Dale is saying.... with brood stock being sourced from Dams & then bred with, who knows for sure the gene pool isn't being corrupted by line breeding, or worse, in breeding?
When these fish go "over the wall" into rivers, they are joining what is left of wild fish.

I've had hatcheries guarantee me they source wild brood stock, then ring around asking for help to get brood stock from dams or from plunge pools of dams (escapees). WTF???

In essence, fish stocked as part of recreational fishing enhancement program are there wholey and soley for the purpose for the community to fish for them, not for conservation or to augment any wild fisheries. Protecting stocked fish with a closed season appears to be quite silly. If I bought a car and had to park it for 3 months I wouldn't be happy. Fish in stocked dams are owned by rec anglers by way of RFEP or SIP funds, and any other fish stocked by restocking groups from other funding sources relinquish ownership once the fish are released into the crown waters. The community own the fish; fish that are put there to be caught, eaten or both.

IMHO stocked fish that go over the wall and end up in a river with access to the rustwater, fair enough the horse has bolted, apply a closed season. But if the dam enters into a river that just goes downstream to another dam or weir that doesn't have an adequate fishway, then I feel that these fish should not be protected with a closed season.

If wild stocks are in decline, then that is for the gubberment to manage, as is their charter. Stocked bass, I feel, should not be relied upon to augment wild stocks IMO.

Interesting comments / conversation so far....  :thumb

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
With Fisheries being more pedantic on new stocking permits, its going to be harder to stock fish like yella's which give the bloke who like s a feed a reasonable sort of catch to take home.

How about raising the possession limit for bass in stocked waters to 5?

I know, its drifting off topic, but so is everyone else!

Dale, I dunno about everyone else, but every time I stock I'm doing it illegally, because a condition of the permit is notifying fisheries, and I never bother.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 07:17:56 PM »
Purely because of the SIP scheme we now have Golden Perch (a Murray Darling specie) in the Brisbane and Pine rivers.  How can that be acceptable?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 07:31:54 PM »
Purely because of the SIP scheme we now have Golden Perch (a Murray Darling specie) in the Brisbane and Pine rivers.  How can that be acceptable?
Same as bass in the Gregory  and Burrum.
 At least the yellas go belly up when they hit the salt.
Are the yellas breeding in any of the dam headwaters on the east coast?
 Re bag limit for bass an increase for SIP dams makes sense to me what does everyone else think?
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2013, 07:44:04 PM »
Raising the possession limit of Bass to 5 in stocked impoundments? I would agree with that, no problem except trying to enforce it as it would be highly unlikely that the possession limit outside of stocked impoundments would be raised.
Don't find it acceptable that there are Golden Perch in any of the SEQ rivers but people want them stocked and they are on some management plans/stocking permits and can be stocked privately in most catchments despite the "Translocation Policy"

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »
Basser,  Instead of shooting people down ( acceptable debating  ) Tell us what your honest opinion on the matter is and suggestions to fix it ?
My suggestions will go to DEEDI, not that it will matter.  DEEDI know what is wrong with the system, and they know how to fix it.  The fact that they don't have a leader with the gumption to do that means this, like most public submission schemes, will probably die a slow death with little effective change.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 09:42:02 PM »
Bass closed season only in sections of river with access to ocean if stocked dams upstream.  :tick

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 06:07:14 AM »
Raising the possession limit of Bass to 5 in stocked impoundments? I would agree with that, no problem except trying to enforce it as it would be highly unlikely that the possession limit outside of stocked impoundments would be raised.

Never hear anyone complaining re the differential in possession limit of barra/

Cheers
ray