Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Trial run  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Trial run
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:29:33 PM »
Went for a bit of a test paddle in an OK prowler 13 and a small Mission nemo at maroon and it really gave me a new perspective on kayak fishing and i love it. Caught 5 small bass and a few spangles between my dads cousin and i with a few rippers busting us off before we new what happend !

The prowler 13 may be a bit big for my needs but that makes it a toss up between a scrambler 11 and a venus 11 still.

Cheers

Steve

Ocean kayak Scrambler 11

Professional yob

Donut King

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
Re: Trial run
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »
Good to hear you took a kayak for a test paddle Steve..

Like all of us you sound like you may be hooked..

You certainly look the part in the Prowler...If you think you ever want to fish larger dams the Prowler might be the go as it really is an all rounder kayak.

But I think your a small water yakkin man from what I can tell from your style of fishing..

If you want to paddle a Scrambler let me know or wait for an Ocean Kayak Come and try It day, then you can try out multiple kayaks from their range. I believe there is a Come and Try It day programmed in for Southport some time soon before Christmas...

Cheers

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:45:07 PM »
The come and try it day sure does sound pretty good but i doubt i would get kicked into gear to go deal with a heap of people unfortunatly. And i dare say i would be using a yak 50/50 creek/ river and dam so its a bit of a toss up. it took a fair deal of effort to get accross maroon in that small nemo but from what i hear the venus 11 is a bit ahead in the times with function.

The Prowler 13 sure is a great kayak without a doubt and if i was to only fish dams i wouldnt hesitate to buy one !

I read your reports on the Scrambler 11 Sel how do you personnaly find them for tracking and turning ?

Yes im a small water fisho without a doubt at heart and could show you some great secrets but the dams are starting to appeal to me a bit but when you drive past creeks everyday for work there is only so much one can resist! :thanks

Cheers

Steve

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:33:32 PM »

I read your reports on the Scrambler 11 Sel how do you personnaly find them for tracking and turning ?

Mate, for a small yak tracks extremely well, like others have mentioned it does have a lot to do with the paddle stroke. It's important to make your stroke through the water straight to keep the kayak in a straight line, but honestly you do not have to concentrate that much in doing this with the Scrambler.

Turning, well it turns on itself with ease and when paddling at speed it takes a couple of strokes on one side of the yak to get it to turn. It has a large keel under the hull so it's very responsive to a change of paddle direction, this hull also helps with the tracking as I mentioned above. Like most kayaks that don't have a rudder, at times you may have to ease the paddle to the rear so the blade of the paddle acts as a rudder, like a correction to get the kayak on the course you so desire.

I have not paddled the Venus but I'm sure it's much the same. I have gone with the Scrambler because of its capacity. It's 149kg, I'm 115kg to start with and it has a little more legroom. I would have liked to get the Venus but I would have been too heavy for it and I know from sitting it Fitzy's my legs do not comfortably fit in the foot wells.

It's good to see that you are trying before you buy, you find out just how the kayak suits you before you part with your hard earned dollars...

Cheers