Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Access to River just before Lowood bend.  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: colleges crossing
Access to River just before Lowood bend.
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:20:25 PM »
G'day all,

Was wanting to know if anyone has been up Vermor road just before Lowwood bend recently??? Can a 2 wheel drive car get up there and turn around and is there much of a walk to the bank??

Road Reserve #5178 ( first one road reserve spot when approching Lowood from fernvale. How overgrown is the path going down to the water??  I've got a kayak trolley and some tie down straps if needed.

I'll be scouting it out this w/e, As i prefer to paddle up stream and drift down.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Access to River just before Lowood bend.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 06:48:33 PM »
Depends which Vernor Road you're looking at. Inside the Wivenhoe Pocket or on the Fernvale/Lowood side.
Inside the pocket, Vernor road is shown on google maps as going west to the river, but it doesn't. The Vernor Road heading south goes right to the top of the bank next to a couple of houses, you will find there's a couple of trucks permanently parked at the end blocking further access.

Linum Road was once partially closed but the partial road closure has been removed. The road goes to the river bank where a fence stops vehicle access, right next to a house. You can go down the river there, but its very overgrown when I went looking recently.... I wouldn't be going down there, preferring to go around the other side & launch at Lowood.

On the eastern side of the river (outside of the pocket), you can drive a car n/n/w along the dirt section of Vernor road to the top of the riverbank. At the end there's a track cutting down to the side. You can only go straight ahead, the side track is private property & there is often an irrigation pipe across it. To be clear on this, YOU MAY GO STRAIGHT AHEAD FOLLOWING THE ROAD TO THE RIVER, BUT YOU CANNOT GO OFF THE ROAD.

The 2 un-named roads downstream of Lowood Bend..... I would advise parking your car at the road & talking the short walk / drag to the river. There are gates on both and cattle in there so be sure to close the gates behind you. The 2nd one (closest to Fernvale, can,t remember the road number) is regularly used by adjoining land owner but I'd still advise leaving the car up on the main road. Will have to go down & take a better look myself.
But, why go to all the trouble when you can drive very close to the water at Lowood Bend which is only a few hundred meters upstream...?

View Larger Map