Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Bremer session  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 30
  • Liked: 5
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Bremer session
« on: November 17, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »
Last weekend I decided to buy a new baitcasting outfit to fish the local creeks. I was after an outfit that would cast small light hardbody lures and while the spin rod is fine I do like baitcasters. I finished work and headed to the Bremer and the first thing I noticed was how dirty it was. Obviously the rain last weekend had stirred it up but the amount of rubbish was a bit of a shock.  The worst part was all the little white beads floating on the surface that look like they came from a bean bag.

I launch the kayak and headed up stream and found a nice snag to try my new outfit out. I had done a few cast in the back yard to set it up to reduce the chances of a backlash but unfortunately first cast reminded me why I had been fishing with a spin outfit :Oops). No worries, that’s life and I soon started to cast with no issues but also no fish, no hits and I started to think the bass had moved.

I decided to slow my retrieve down and cast at each snag at least four times thinking if they are tight to the snags I would at least annoy them into hitting my lures. The snag I had caught bass off before, it was one of those spots I love, it had like a little recess with a tree on a point. I have found by casting into the recess and then slowly retrieving my lure so it was hard up against the tree I had caught bass before. I put in a nice cast slowly brought the lure out with no success so I cast at it three more times. This was not good and out of frustration I cast into it again and finally the fish gods smiled on me and I caught my first bass on the new outfit.

I caught another two bass over the next 30 minutes doing the same thing and my confidence started grow thinking I had cracked the pattern.

I continued my way up stream when my lure got snagged so I was just trying to get it off when all of a sudden another kayaker said hi, well I sh## myself. Bloody kayaks are just to quiet. We ended up having a chat and he had never fished here before so I explained with my limited knowledge what I had been doing and let him fish the stretch and I stared to head back. I caught two more bass and went back to show him where I had caught them and we worked our way back trying to get him a bass. I would point out different spots to try but unfortunately no luck.  We were just about back to the cars and I thought I would have a couple of more casts and sure enough I caught my sixth bass of the session. I would have preferred blue catch it but he was happy to take a photo so he could show his mate. I ended up giving him one of my home made lures I had caught them on so next time he could give them a try. It was a great arvo, a nice paddle, a few fish and met another kayaker.

Hobie Outback
Old Town Vapor 10 Angler

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 26
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Brisbane River
Re: Bremer session
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »
Great session! Nice way to christen your baitcaster. Was there friday morning myself with yakfish.  Had those white beads all over my kayak. Nice one, when you get to turn those slow days around!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 23
  • Liked: 7
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Bremer River
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »
Yeah the beads were everywhere

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 09:33:04 AM »
Wonder what it will be like now with all the rain yesterday? Great fish on Friday morning btw Yak Fish. Should do it again soon.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:21 PM »
You beat me by 3 I'll get you next time ! Haha and definitely, how about this Sunday? :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 07:37:24 PM »
I will let you what the river looks like tomorrow night as i am heading there for a fish after work. :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 08:16:59 PM »
You beat me by 3 I'll get you next time ! Haha and definitely, how about this Sunday? :youbeauty

Hahaha....  Yeah, it was my best session yet!   :) Am taking my young nephew fishing on Sunday, so that could be good!   :thumbsup

I will let you what the river looks like tomorrow night as i am heading there for a fish after work. :youbeauty

Good luck with your fish tomorrow, Gav!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »
Fished the bremer for a few hours today after work. The water is very dirty still &  there are still a lot of the white beads floating around. I only got the one bass on a black  hardbody but i did try a spinnerbait as well.

Good luck on  Friday

Cheers
Gav

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »
Not Friday Gav, Sunday  :)

And only one? That's unusual I normally pull at least 3-5 every session

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 08:03:00 PM »
Not Friday Gav, Sunday  :)

And only one? That's unusual I normally pull at least 3-5 every session

Fingers crossed it clears a bit by sunday for you. The one i got was small as well, where as i have normally  been getting  up to six so it was a bit quiet. I thought they might be holding tight so tried a spinnerbait on way back with no luck at all.

Good luck on Sunday