Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: SIP Scheme - QLD Fisheries Review  (Read 37090 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: SIP Scheme - QLD Fisheries Review
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2013, 06:43:31 PM »
I'm pretty much giving most of my stocking group memberships  away, more in life than spending endless weekends selling sausages.
Lucky everyone didn't think like that before the implementation of the SIP scheme.  We wouldn't have a Sweetwater fishery in Queensland.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
In those days we also had progressive and supportive pollys who could see a vision not like now when all they can do is kick us in the guts whilst giving forth with a progressive flow of meaningless  bull.
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2013, 07:19:18 PM »
Pity you weren't a member of SWFSA, you would have met two MPs who were very, very supportive of our group and interested in our vision for the future.  Positive attitudes by members encourage positive actions by the pollies.  Abuse and insults get squat.  If I was a politician I'd probably give up on some of the groups who are more concerned about personal agendas than they are about providing a voluntary community service.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
My thoughts...

-Set in stone criteria that impoundments/waterways need to pass for inclusion in the SIP.

-SIP required for all recreational anglers regardless of fish/crayfish being targeted.

-A requirement that once on the SIP, stocking groups can no longer charge a fee ( be that a boating access fee or the like) on top of the SIP for use of that water way.

-Protection of current SIP funding arrangements/replacement funding if QLD introduces a general fishing licence.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2013, 07:11:51 AM »
Pity you weren't a member of SWFSA, you would have met two MPs who were very, very supportive of our group and interested in our vision for the future.  Positive attitudes by members encourage positive actions by the pollies.  Abuse and insults get squat.  If I was a politician I'd probably give up on some of the groups who are more concerned about personal agendas than they are about providing a voluntary community service.

Supportive enough to take away funding? Supportive enough to sack many of the staff that support Sweetwater fish stocking? or did they just gloss over those little issues?
You have a strange idea of what support means. Just because your pocket feels warm doesn't mean your being supported.

Its a joke. The application to have Baroon Pocket added to the SIP is approaching its second anniversary, no response. 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2013, 09:25:10 AM »
You're confused Binder.  As I said, we invited our local MP's to our meeting.  They are not employees of a Government department, they are elected officials who want to help their constituents.  Your continued attacks on the integrity of all people involved in the Government probably earn you the treatment you receive from them.  Polluting Sweetwater with your vitriol does your cause no good either. 

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2013, 12:06:26 AM »
Settle please gents, we're all on the same team.

There's not much we can do about the budget cuts & the fallout from that, however sitting down with state members we can demonstrate the importance of what we do & possibly turn the tables on the hard decisions made.

It's us against all the other interest groups with their hand out.

I'm convinced that this is make or break time for fish restocking groups not on the SIP.

Look at what the Literacy Awards have done, they relied on $100k per annum from state govt, lost it & thought the world was going to end. Then they went out & got alternative funding. They have now put down their best ever awards. It's a MAKE for them, are we going to be a MAKE or BREAK?

$168k for all waterways across Qld was chicken feed. If we play our cards right & present a good case we could end up with 10 times that amount once the books are back in the black (or sooner). Yep the pollies were expecting some flack over cuts & they got it in spades. Now it's time to show them we aren't a bunch of sooks who throw in the towel without their meager handouts. Meetings with state members and mayors is they way forward IMHO.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2013, 12:12:07 AM »
The application to have Baroon Pocket added to the SIP is approaching its second anniversary, no response.

And it's going to have a couple more before any funds make it to EMFMI for restocking Lake Baroon. To add any locations we're going to have to go through a legislative change which won't happen until after fisheries review, then any new location will need to be on the SIP for a year before getting any funds at the end of that year.

That's the best it's going to get unfortunately..... Short term I'd be having meetings with the Meleny & Montville Chamber of Commerce, local council, local MLA etc for short term support.

Is there a hydro station on Baroon or power lines across the lake anywhere? If so, whoever the operator is will have community grants programs.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2013, 08:05:35 AM »
I am rather disappointed by the remarks denigrating stocking groups being used to push a political agenda.
 Some groups are not part of the SIP scheme and also are not fortunate enough to have major corporate identities in their area that they can approach for funding.
If you are fortunate to crack a few spots in the  Bunnings Sausage sizzle ballot ( Yes there is a yearly ballot) and you have the numbers of members to put in the time you can raise a few grand a year.
Only problem Bunnings are only in the larger cities and in the smaller country communities you are lucky to get a spot for a pub meat tray raffle that usually only raises around $150 and you wear out your welcome fairly quickly.
Its a big deal if you can scrounge $100 from the local mill otherwise all you can get is a $50 cheque from local IGA.
Letters to local pollys usually only result in platitudes and vague promises.
Definition of vitriol =. Bitterly scathing; caustic:
Bit over the top.
It would appear to me that some people are taking a dog in the manger attitude and saying I am ok we have the finances and political pull to look after ourselves and out particular interests and stiff poo to those less fortunate groups.
 Ray Kennedy

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
Hi Ray,

I understand your frustration. What is the answer? Give up or keep going? There is other funding via community grants and sponsorships. For the want of writing a letter a couple of years ago, 'basser & I got $5500 from a power company for fish restocking in the Brisbane Valley.

In most areas there's some type of big player other than govt; cotton, mining, forrestry, power generators, dam operator. All are potential investors in community groups and many use community support to offset their impact on envorinment.

When I communicate with pollies, I always try to do it face to face. Letters are a dime a dozen. If you can get a verbal agreement & then followup with a letter it seems to work better.