Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Ashamed to be a Queenslander  (Read 6511 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Ashamed to be a Queenslander
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/dam-engineers-referred-to-cmc-as-flood-report-handed-down/story-fnbwrsv2-1226301488593

Anna has found her scapegoats.  I cannot believe the attitude of our current, soon to be ex, leader.  Many millions of dollars will be paid out by all Queenslanders to  reimburse some who chose to live on floodplains.
To Paul Tully I ask one question.  Did your house flood in 1974?  I know the answer so don't bother explaining why you now believe this flood was the fault of 3 employees of SEQWater and yet 1974 was an act of God.  Be gone you fools.

Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
Re: Ashamed to be a Queenslander
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 03:17:39 PM »
Steven I added a comment and was waiting for it appear and you popped up, exactly how I feel buddy, well done..

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 03:36:25 PM »
Dale and Sel

I am hearing you guys.

Interestin but, check out this

http://www.couriermail.com.au/interactives/anatomy-of-a-flood

have a look at the inflows at Jan 9 then Jan 11. And this is just the two dams (somerset and Wivenhoe), not the rain that fell below the wall and other catchment areas

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
If they had just pulled out all the stops on Wivenhoe it would have met the water from Lockyer Creek (Remember the other flood that hit Grantham) and made the flooding downstream much worse.  The sacred "manual" for SEQWater doesn't take into account the water that is already flooding down the Lockyer and the Bremer.  I know, I drove through or around most of it on January 12th trying to get home.  There was a sh!tload of water.  On Jan 11th I couldn't get home.  You know the valley before you get to Fernvale, the road was under 10 feet of water there when I got to it on the morning of the 11th.  There was over a metre of water came through Woolworths carpark in Fernvale.  Not one drop of that came from Wivenhoe, or the Brisbane River, it came from the 18 inches of rain we received in Lowood that day.  Now Blight wants to hang out 3 Engineers who probably saved lives in Brisbane to dry so it will go away before the election.  These three will be exonerated by the CMC, but too late to save their reputations.  When will we see the communication from Anna and the Minister during this time?

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:08:47 PM »

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 03:40:25 AM »
If they had just pulled out all the stops on Wivenhoe it would have met the water from Lockyer Creek (Remember the other flood that hit Grantham) and made the flooding downstream much worse.  The sacred "manual" for SEQWater doesn't take into account the water that is already flooding down the Lockyer and the Bremer.  I know, I drove through or around most of it on January 12th trying to get home.  There was a sh!tload of water.  On Jan 11th I couldn't get home.  You know the valley before you get to Fernvale, the road was under 10 feet of water there when I got to it on the morning of the 11th.  There was over a metre of water came through Woolworths carpark in Fernvale.  Not one drop of that came from Wivenhoe, or the Brisbane River, it came from the 18 inches of rain we received in Lowood that day.  Now Blight wants to hang out 3 Engineers who probably saved lives in Brisbane to dry so it will go away before the election.  These three will be exonerated by the CMC, but too late to save their reputations.  When will we see the communication from Anna and the Minister during this time?

Exactly Dale

that is what is shitting me. And checkout the smile as she is getting handed the report.

What a f#%king goose.

The only one smiling is all those involved in the CMC with their fat little payout.

Losers with NFI disease.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba Dam
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:08:43 PM »
Dale, I couldn't agree more.  Time for me to vent......

Our family was in a similiar position to you - we couldn't get home from up near Tin Can Bay back to home in Wivenhoe Pocket (mercifully on the hill).  When we did, we could see the magnitude of the flood.  We drove over Wivenhoe Dam wall on the Thursday and were simply staggered at the amount of water it was holding back.  To the point where I said to my wife "this is just plain scary, we need to get over this wall pronto!".   

I can't get my head around people who CHOOSE to build or buy a home on the banks of a river, just to get that "magical" river view, then complaining the joint floods?  WTF?  Thought that would be obvious - guess not.

Just infuriating.  Don't blame the umprecidented amount of rain received in a short space of time - blame 3 dam engineers.  Makes sense.  I've spoken to a few farmers in the area since.  Now these are guys who've been in the Lowood/W.Pocket area for many, many years, and they had never seen rain like it.  We got 18 inches in 12 hours in W.Pocket.  One farmer said the marjority of the flooding came initially from the torrent raging down from the Lockyer Valley via Lockyer Creek - sure, the releases from Wivenhoe added to this - but from what I can gather, the destruction was well under way before the releases were amped up to near full-tilt.  As you say Dale, had they opened the gates fully any earlier, imagine the chaos then!  People don't seem to realize how much rain fell in areas BELOW the dam wall, and flowed into the river from other catchments.  The 18 inches that fell at my place was bad enough, but I know others downstream in the Pine Mountain area that received well over 20 inches.  Of course, none of this is a major factor to the damage received by the mansion-owners on the river, or the floodplain dwellers who didn't take note in '74 - it's all the fault of 3 dam engineers.

Seeing photos and TV footage is one thing, but living where I do I got to see the dam first-hand, and if some of the people affected downstream had've too, I'm sure they might not be choosing to blame SEQ Water and these 3 men.  The amount of water they had the responsibility to control was utterly phenomenal. 

Just by opinion, but I think they deserve praise rather than condemnation.  I reckon they did a remarkable job under the most trying of circumstances.

Tim. 

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:36:40 PM »
Seeing photos and TV footage is one thing, but living where I do I got to see the dam first-hand, and if some of the people affected downstream had've too, I'm sure they might not be choosing to blame SEQ Water and these 3 men.  The amount of water they had the responsibility to control was utterly phenomenal. 

Just by opinion, but I think they deserve praise rather than condemnation.  I reckon they did a remarkable job under the most trying of circumstances.

Tim.

Just my opinion, but I fully believe these engineers should be praised rather than held responsible.   

:GoodPost)

I couldn't agree more.

I've not heard mention yet about SEQWater calculating & allowing for tidal influences as well as the flood waters coming from the Lockyer, Bremer/Warrill and all other feeder creeks downstream of Wivenhoe, let alone Lake Manchester, Gold Creek Dam, Moogerah Dam, Enogerah Dam...
and Wivenhoe was meant to stop all of these as well? The three sacrificial engineers must have been going nuts with their abacus' working it all out.

IMHO the flood enquiry witch hunt is just to find someone to blame other than god (can't sue him).

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 04:51:34 AM »
Fitzy, I believe their calcs must take in to account tide size and timing, because in that December / early January we had water in the yard at work multiple times on high tide, all coming within cm's of flooding the building, but it never did until they had to let her go to save the dam. You could not constantly go that close without it flooding unless it was being deliberately calculated.

They were letting as much go as they could without causing flooding.

I live in the Bush, my constant danger is one day the lot will go in a bush fire, its part of the risk I take for living where I want to. People who live on th flood plane should accept the risk rthat comes along with their choice of place they want to live.

In the future, If my house burns down and I start whinging about rural firefighters, people not doing enough controlled burns, or anything else to do with it being someone elses fault my house burned down, feel free to string me up from the nearest remaining gum tree.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:27:36 PM »
In the weeks leading up to the main flood event , Wivenhoe was releasing the maxium amount possible WITHOUT closing the Brisbane Valley Hwy ( Geoff Fisher Bridge ) or Allawah rd at Mt Crosby Weir.

The thought of releasing water at a much higher rate and therefore closing these two vital roads , would of never occurred with the mindset of the community and government before the flood of 2011 . In a way , this flood event was the wakeup call to everyone especially as its not even close to levels reached in the 1800's . Keating would call it, " The flood we had to have."

Hanging these Seqwater engineers out to dry is an invention of the naive who live in the fantasy world where floods never happen on rivers.

Would we have the same level of hostility towards Seqwater if Brisbane itself had the ridiculous rainfall totals that the Bremer and (more so)Brisbane valleys recieved between the 9th and 11th of January 2011? I don't think so.

One thing is for sure now though , nothing short of a new levy or tax will be forced upon us all to help pay for the payouts the insurance companies are now lining up for. ( thats on top of the extra these companies are slugging us in higher premiums ).

Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba Dam
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 09:17:41 PM »
I live in the Bush, my constant danger is one day the lot will go in a bush fire, its part of the risk I take for living where I want to. People who live on th flood plane should accept the risk rthat comes along with their choice of place they want to live.

In the future, If my house burns down and I start whinging about rural firefighters, people not doing enough controlled burns, or anything else to do with it being someone elses fault my house burned down, feel free to string me up from the nearest remaining gum tree.
You know what Binder, I was going to draw the same comparison to make a point, but thought I may offend!  Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events