Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Poll

Did you enjoy the 2011 Wivenhoe Convention?

Absolutely, I had a great time
I some what enjoyed it
undecided
I didn't really enjoy it
Absolutely did not enjoy the event
Other - I will post a reply to the topic

Author Topic: Wivenhoe Event - post event feedback  (Read 24401 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Wivenhoe Event - post event feedback
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »
Ok in my own words and in my own opinion. Fishing in a barrel. That was how I perceived fishing the river. Other years the barrel has been schools of fish, once they have been found. The usual barrel wasn't available this year. If I had attended for twenty years I would never have sat with 20 other people around a school of fish. Fish school up in Wivenhoe in winter. NOT all of them. The muddy water that was Wivenhoe  still had to go through the washing machine gates of the dam. The river was just as muddy, it has to be if Wivenhoe is. I figure if conditions are tough then nut it out and formulate a plan of action. I don't agree with changing something that's not busted. There were fish there. Not a lot perhaps. Doug nutted it out, Couldn't tell the time though ;D I might have fluked one but did so by following a plan. Would have been two if I had checked my new lure didn't have a hook protector on it.
 ::)  Hey there are fish in there to be caught. Just because it might be harder, or different to other times is not a valid reason to take an easy option.
cheer John.

I agree there are still fish in the lake, I believe there are way less than before & until some surveys are done we won't know. There were 3 caugt in the lake all up, possibly a reflection on the angler/hours put in on the lake for the weekend which was almost zero on saturday due to the closure of the lake but still encouraging to see some brave the waters on sunday to give it a go.

Understand the "if it aint broke" sentiment.

Thanks John.  :thanks

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 07:18:20 AM »
I couldn't make this year either, but a couple of comments

1. Dont really care that much about the rules/ where your allowed to fish etc etc. Its a social event for me on water I never fish - so my chances of being in the prizes depends on the raffles ;). As long as I can get my ol dunga yak, and Ray can get his yak and electric on the water I dont care. Leave the concerns about winning sheepstations to others.

2. Thing that annoys me? all those in the know booking out the camp site months before the event is even officially launched! Having said that and being an old fart these days, the ability to camp on the next point away from the noisy party brigade has in the passed turned out to be an unforeseen bonus! I'll probably do it deliberately next time. Gotta keep my distance from Novice by the sound of it!

3. September is a risky time of year for the event from a weather point of view, as we have seen the last two years it can blow pretty hard this time of year. However I wouldn't want to be there in mid summer or mid winter either. I would not have been able to fish if I had gone this year, steep river bank launches are not an option for my dodgy knees.  I was pretty worried early on last year, even pulled off the water for a couple of hours in the morning on the Saturday.

4. Rescue Boat, good idea, as long as it doesn't spend the day rooster tailing around the dam, and is only used for emergencies, no idea what you used this year, but it was a skeeter last year.  Perhaps a boat that is more suitable for a rescue, something that could fit a half dozen in it safely wrapped in blankets etc if something tragic did occur.

5. If the sheepstation brigade truly want to tighten rules etc, thats fine but how about a social division, where the social fisho's can do what they like, only eligible for raffled prizes. That way someone could bait fish, someone could use 6 rods, heck someone could even fillet something for dinner IE just let the social division fish legally and have a good time.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »
The annual wivenhoe Convention after going there has its own magic as it has been run, and with little modification needed to keep well supported and is already in my 2012 planning, with similar reactions seen in this reply on AKFF by a first timer Gazz who clocked up a few kms to attend ........ his reply says it all.....
"It was my first trip to Wivenhoe and on a round trip of 2600km I may or may not met some of you. I just want to say it was a tremendously run event and one of the best weekends of my life. Look forward to coming up again next year. Gaz"

In regard to future options I would say do not fiddle with the existing format to much at all for the future Fitzy

The comp hours are OK as they stand, giving enough time for the enthusiasts as was seen last weekend, and in normal conditions more than adequate for the social butterflies like me who has a fish for a few hours only, and enjoys catching up with the once a year mate yarns again.

Marquee was an excellent move, as was the evening tucker setup this year but doubt the ice cream bloke had a big session, also think the safety boat is important.

Re the river aspect ..... and at the outset declare myself to be a lake only starter at any time it being so unique a venue to fish, despite me having a smaller river kayak at home as well as the Swing, and know three GC blokes who gave the event a miss this year due to the river being involved, as they regard the event purely as Wivenhoe Dam.

Can appreciate the reasons for including the river this year, but heard plenty of level playing field comments on the weekend.

If the river is to be included in the future, have lake and river divisions separate from a comp perspective for major prizes, and with all entrants in for lucky dips as at present.

Fitzy re your great love for the district "Another part was to showcase the area, the facilities and our great waterways." while understood, perhaps is not shared to the same degree as us outsiders who just come enjoy the lake and the company we meet there each year.

And your input is always appreciated by the conventioneers mate "Noting that I personally don't make a cent out of it if the event is successful, I certainly could if I wanted to do that, but all profits have always gone to the fish restocking. (bet no other kayak event of a similar scale can say the same)." At any time you cop out of pocket expenses that are not covered let all your mates know on the forum and reckon 24 hours would see that rectified

Finally Dave has my favourite quote that reflects the convention in a nutshell "Overall, the event the way it is/has been , has a great laidback feel to it . The chance for people to come and camp and go for a fish amongst other like minded fishos has a certain appeal to it ( almost like a drinking club with a kayak problem )  ." 

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 08:38:01 PM »
I couldn't make this year either, but a couple of comments

5. If the sheepstation brigade truly want to tighten rules etc, thats fine but how about a social division, where the social fisho's can do what they like, only eligible for raffled prizes. That way someone could bait fish, someone could use 6 rods, heck someone could even fillet something for dinner IE just let the social division fish legally and have a good time.

Thanks for the reply Binder. Have taken your whole reply on board, but can I throw this one point out there for specific comment from everyone?

How many others would like to take a bass or golden perch for a feed during the event? If there's enough support we could look at something where a fin was clipped prior to the photo so we know it was taken & possibly mark it on the shore card as "taken".

I'm easy going about it....

Cheers,

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »
I'm not going to dive into the debate over fishing in the river other than if it was a full on comp then it would have not been a good idea. But as well as the fishing, I went for the socializing and to meet the people behind the names  on KDFU, the fishing was a bonus. The only possible solution would have been to divide the results for River caught and Dam caught fish. Which I suppose would have involved people being honest about their captures, which was stated if you really wanted to cheat there were many ways. It was a roaring success I thought either way as I thoroughly enjoyed myself, as did many others. Got to meet some great new people and made some new friends which I believe is what fishing is all about. Good on you Garry and all the others who put in the effort to make it a great weekend. See you all next year.  :thanks

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 20
  • View Gallery
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 12:00:20 PM »
I won't add to the above comments except that it was a great event and well organised and I will be back next year.
venue, good
Timing, good
Cost,good
Safety, good
Boat, good
BBQ, good

I personally didn't want to fish the river for this event ( but would love the opportunity on different occasion ). I came to fish the dam and for the social get together, I really didn't fancy driving here, there or anywhere. I do like to fish though, just a shame the weather didn't play fair.
One criticism :

For those that slept in on the first morning ( yes me, I blame the wind for keeping me awake ). I missed the briefing AND the warnings. Perhaps a black board with the important points listed.

Yes to Charletons bringing more  gear. I was keen to purchase all sorts of stuff but with mainly bass lures there I held back.Great to view all the new yaks there as well.
Some ideas :

A kids comp. with perhaps a prize to all that caught something.

More entertainment in the main arena, comps, games to bring more people together. Oh I dunno? like a darts at water balloons with prize tags in them or a paddle race in the inlet in categories of course. Yes, i am still a big kid.

An info session on how to catch bass held in the marquee.

A big shame about the music, was acoustic banned also ?

Would prefer to see biggest Bass OR Yellowbelly not one of each being a requirement.

Perhaps more than one safety boat on standby ?

Next year perhaps list your intent to fish river or dam or both on the entry so resources can be better allocated in advance.

Yes, a dam caught bass on the dinner plate sounds good to me too, gotta try one at least.

Cheers,
Pam

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 12:22:29 AM »
I won't add to the above comments except that it was a great event and well organised and I will be back next year.
venue, good
Timing, good
Cost,good
Safety, good
Boat, good
BBQ, good

I personally didn't want to fish the river for this event ( but would love the opportunity on different occasion ). I came to fish the dam and for the social get together, I really didn't fancy driving here, there or anywhere. I do like to fish though, just a shame the weather didn't play fair.
One criticism :

For those that slept in on the first morning ( yes me, I blame the wind for keeping me awake ). I missed the briefing AND the warnings. Perhaps a black board with the important points listed.

Yes to Charletons bringing more  gear. I was keen to purchase all sorts of stuff but with mainly bass lures there I held back.Great to view all the new yaks there as well.
Some ideas :

A kids comp. with perhaps a prize to all that caught something.

More entertainment in the main arena, comps, games to bring more people together. Oh I dunno? like a darts at water balloons with prize tags in them or a paddle race in the inlet in categories of course. Yes, i am still a big kid.

An info session on how to catch bass held in the marquee.

A big shame about the music, was acoustic banned also ?

Would prefer to see biggest Bass OR Yellowbelly not one of each being a requirement.

Perhaps more than one safety boat on standby ?

Next year perhaps list your intent to fish river or dam or both on the entry so resources can be better allocated in advance.

Yes, a dam caught bass on the dinner plate sounds good to me too, gotta try one at least.

Cheers,
Pam

G'Day Pam,

Blackboard with weather report already on the list for next year, I realised that afterwards that it would be beneficial.  :tick

Safety boat. Unfortunately due to the damage to Dale's boat this year, this particular rig won't be an available in the future, we cannot ask him to provide the boat and expect him to wear the damage to the gel coat & motor that was incurred with getting that canoe back from out near Pelican Island. So we will need to come up with a suitable alternative boat or if anyone is in trouble they may need to call in SES for assistance.
Why was he out there when the lake was shut? Either:
A- he wasn't at morning briefing, or
B- he was there & didn't listen, or
C- he was there & chose to ignore it.
Either way he was out past the mouth of the bay & we need to learn from that. We trialed giving out the cards the night before, but to ensure everyone hears the briefing/weather report we will revert back to handing out cards in the morning + put weather report on a blackboard. No briefing = no competitor card = no points for the day.

Kids section. A very tricky one..... I was once a representative junior sports coach, then in came certification, then blue card & all of a sudden I have to pay fees & personal insurance for the privelege of volunteering my time,,,, so I simply quit coaching kids & never will again. The kids loss.
The litigious paranoid types in society make me dread including anything to do with kids in any event, that's why we haven't had a kids section to date, but I'm all for encouraging kids to get into our sport. Then there's the extra safety concerns if kids are cut loose on the lake without their parents being with them. As it is, kids may enter as adults & I ask all parents to ensure they stay with them. I've had parents call in the past & ask if they can send little Johnny to the lake for the day & pick them up that night....... the answer is NO WAY!!!! Be buggered if I'd be letting one of my kids out on a huge lake without me hovering VERY close behind.
A shame really, but unless someone else wants to take over running the event, I can't see a kids section happening. Noting that I will have my kids out there with me next year for the weekend. 

Entertainment I tried to get the Barefoot Fisherman (Dave Hodge) up this year & offered him $500 to come, but it wasn't enough for him to drive up from NSW again, or he just didn't want to.  I didn't want to pour all the profits into someone's pocket so drew the line there. I did try tho.....
Music. SEQWater by-laws prevent any amplified sound (eg PA system etc) at these camp grounds. However I will include it in the application (so its in writting) next year & see what they come back with. There's no reason the accoustic guitar's couldn't have come out again, but one of the previous offenders (Yakfly) couldn't make it this year & I forgot to bring mine or I would have pulled it out.
Games. The quick trivia comp on saturday night was just to add a bit of fun. Will look at improving this.

Friday Seminar. Will see who else I can muster to give some tips next year. Any specific topics anyone would prefer covered? eg fish finder use, bass techniques, paddle techniques, fly fishing, casting techniques etc.
Have previously payed a qualified instructor to be on site each year & this was VERY much under utilised, so i dropped it & rolled the $ into other things like the marquee. I've always offered a slot to Canoeing Qld to come and talk or be on site, but they don't seem interested quite frankly out side of giving some phone numbers of 3rd party instructors. I won't offer any longer. A shame that a peak body doesn't recognise that probably the biggest growth area of kayaking is in fishing ATM & doesn't seem interested to engage.  :walkplank
I was encouraged to see another peak body FFSAQ take up the offer to attend & engage with those attending.

Charltons Are a great supporter throughout the year. I don't know a dollar figure, but they gave a stack of gear, as did our other sponsors. The give aways this year were great.

Lake / River "IF" the river is included in the future, I would be confident that the two will be separate divisions & require this to be nominated on the entry form. Also think we need a non-combatant entrant for those who don't intend to paddle or fish, but are there just socially and for the draws. This might save on insurance costs...... your thoughts?

Will give your other comments due consideration.  :tick

Thanks to you (and everyone) for taking the time to respond / comment.  :youbeauty

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 12:25:19 AM »
The wife and myself did not attend this year but had been to all previous conventions. Strictly a freshwater beginner did not restrict us going. I look at the convention as a 2 sided event. There is the fishing competition for those that are serious about their fishing...and the social aspect which included everyone.
The location is superb and the organisation excellent.
River and lake fishing ..I would say that either would be okay for the serious fishos. In the past people have driven to other access points on the dam so not much difference if going elsewhere. The only problem I could envisage with the river..and hopefully it would never happen ..is if an injury occurred. Locating and assisting the person could be difficult.

Displays..in the past these have been very good and informatrive.

Food..the evening barbies have always made life easier...and if someone  makes a buck for their organisation even better.

Prizes etc...Never been into fishing for anything other than the fun of it since I left the fishing club I was in ..and that was about 30 years back. But, once again, I only speak for me ...others may be interested and enticed by the array of prizes.

Cost...cheap for a fishing comp as well conducted as this one,

Would I change anything...nope.

Would i attend again..definitely.

Did not attend this year as we have sold the yak and thought someone that was fishing could use the camping spot we had booked so we cancelled it.

I would even attend again if not fishing..just a top weekend away with a great bunch of people and great surrounds.

well done Gary once again .

I would make one suggestion...a clinic for the freshwater beginners perhaps...what gear, lures, finding fish etc etc etc. Not everyone is an expert on this type of fishing and many could do with some informative assistance.

One day I may even catch a bass and a barra somewhere.

G'Day Greg,

Comments taken on board, thanks for taking the time to comment.

Will shoot for a more comprehensive Friday night seminar next year.

We missed you both this year, are you coming in 2012?

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 12:30:25 AM »
I'm not going to dive into the debate over fishing in the river other than if it was a full on comp then it would have not been a good idea. But as well as the fishing, I went for the socializing and to meet the people behind the names  on KDFU, the fishing was a bonus. The only possible solution would have been to divide the results for River caught and Dam caught fish. Which I suppose would have involved people being honest about their captures, which was stated if you really wanted to cheat there were many ways. It was a roaring success I thought either way as I thoroughly enjoyed myself, as did many others. Got to meet some great new people and made some new friends which I believe is what fishing is all about. Good on you Garry and all the others who put in the effort to make it a great weekend. See you all next year.  :thanks

Good on you for commenting Pills and thank for coming.  :thanks

Comments taken on board mate, we want to get it as good as possible for the most who attend.

Hoping to improve things each year & to see you back again next year.

Cheers,

Fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 81
  • View Gallery
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »

will revert back to handing out cards in the morning + put weather report on a blackboard. No briefing = no competitor card = no points for the day.

Will see who else I can muster to give some tips next year.......... bass techniques,............ casting techniques etc.

Also think we need a non-combatant entrant for those who don't intend to paddle or fish, but are there just socially and for the draws. This might save on insurance costs...... your thoughts?

1...Fitzy can see the morning hand out of comp cards as being the way to resume as before.

2...Always keen to take the opportunity to hear from any gurus re  fishing techniques, and also good to learn any tips/hints from proficient casters attending the convention.

3...Think many of the non paddlers this year were mainly influenced by the weather conditions on the lake, and additionally having no great desire to load and drive to the river ..... for myself it is the first time I have not gone on the water to fish from Capt Logan.

And personally am happy just to social fish and be called a non-combatant if it helps costs, but quite willing to continue to pay the normal entry listed as a donation seeing it benefits fish stocking.