Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Jigging spinnerbaits  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
Jigging spinnerbaits
« on: May 05, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »
I went out to one of my regular spots today to toss a few lures from the bank.  Usually pick up a Bass or a Yellowbelly.

For a while now I have tried jigging with spinner baits in a couple of holes.  The river is 1 to 2 metres in depth but these holes are down to 3 metres or more and can be very productive if I were to use live bait.

What my question is has anybody ever been lucky jigging a spinnerbait in deep holes.  The vibes are there on the lift and should be on the drop also.

Interested to hear any reports.

Gordon

Be kind to the Natives.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
Re: Jigging spinnerbaits
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »
Got a 4 x bass on morning and the best going 50cm in NPD by lifting and dropping all the way back to the back.  Thats sort of jigging I guess.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:59:22 PM »
I went out to one of my regular spots today to toss a few lures from the bank.  Usually pick up a Bass or a Yellowbelly.

For a while now I have tried jigging with spinner baits in a couple of holes.  The river is 1 to 2 metres in depth but these holes are down to 3 metres or more and can be very productive if I were to use live bait.

What my question is has anybody ever been lucky jigging a spinnerbait in deep holes.  The vibes are there on the lift and should be on the drop also.

Interested to hear any reports.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

One problem with vertical jigging standard spinnerbaits is they can flip over and tangle on your leader if you drop them too quickly, especially with spinnerbaits that willow leaf blades on them.
Willow leaf blades have less resistance and require more velocity to make them spin compared to rounder blades (eg colorado, hatchet or french). So at slower speeds eg jigging, a willow blade can just flop around instead of spinning, this flopping around can easily pickup any slack line & tangle it. Also you need to think of a spinnerbait as a sea saw or coat hanger. When retrieved as normal, the weight of the jig head opposes the lift of the blades, the lead pulls down & the blades pull up thus keeping the spinnerbait in a more or less vertical presentation looking from front on & most definately this stops the whole thing from spinning around like a bull roar & twisting the heck out of your line.

To avoid this, drop your line at the same sink rate as your spinnerbait ie, don't give slack line between rod tip & terminal.

A spinnerbait worked vertically can't use gravity on the jig head & uplift from the blades to keep it in line so a different design works better.
For vertical work on spinnerbaits I like to use either double or single colorado spinnerbaits (prefer the single). A colorado works well both up & down, the occurance of "tumbling" is far less with this configuration based on my experiences. That's why I get my own spinnerbaits made, nobody was making them the way I wanted for best all-round work.

Does it work? Well if you're fishing where I think you are & the species I'm thinking you're chasing,,,, bloody oath it works.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:15:30 AM »
Thanks for that Fitzy, you are worth your weight in gold.

You are correct on where I am fishing.  Very hard to access now since the big wet, I had to go in on a pushbike with backpack.

Thankfully it is being left alone as the cod are breeding at present.  ( We hope )

Gordon

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:36:11 AM »
Have you considered using freestyle (or butterfly) jigs?  They are like a mini knife jig with two assist hooks at the top.  Hard to get in Australia.

Very successful and popular with bass in USA...

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-XPS-Freestyle-Jig/product/90542/-1317696

Cheers

Pete

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 07:04:10 AM »
Thanks Pete, they look like the one I am after.  Think I have a pickup arranged.

Gordon