Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Regarding the sharing of information  (Read 20762 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Regarding the sharing of information
« on: December 31, 2011, 07:03:36 AM »
SteveM made reference in another post about the pink ribbons Fitz has tied around posts and signs along the Brisbane Valley Highway and other roads showing access points to the river.  Down here on the border of NSW and Victoria offor a holiday and travelling the road between Yarrawonga and Wangaratta often we've found that the Government down here have proper blue signs with a fish and a fish hook to show people that they can access the river from these little tracks.  Others have signs that say "river access" or even "no river access" to save the trouble of looking.  At Parolas Bridge, which is where the Murray Valley Highway crossed
s the Ovens River There are open areas for camping.  No charge, no bookings, not gates, not signs saying keep out.  We pulled up and  two Rangers pulled up behind us.  The saw an old camp fire, and raked it out and hosed it down, then gave us a couple of free newspapers.  Up home they probably would have told us to nick orf.  They just wanted to be sure we enjoyed our stay and didn't start any bushfires.  When he found out that my nephew was his supervisor he radioed him and we found him only 5 minutes away, so there must be plenty of these guys getting around and helping people enjoy their holiday  He couldn't tell us where the bloody fish were though.

Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Regarding the sharing of information
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 07:53:43 AM »
Sometimes I think qld get by on its natural beauty, and the government is too busy trying to lock us out rather than to help embrace it. Spose they cant make any tourist dollars if your camping. Fairly shortsighted though.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Diamond(JB)
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »
Very typical for queensland though. They seem to think banning everything is the way to go. It's an absolute Nazi state.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:38:21 AM »
I think Queensland see the tourist dollar more on the foreign visitors to the coast.  Also if this area was close to Brisbane it'd be full of idiots in Hiluxs and trail bikes ripping it up and ruining it for all

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 09:45:07 AM »
Isnt that part of the rangers job? Either way hiluxs and motorbike riders arent endemic to qld.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 09:45:56 AM »
I think Queensland see the tourist dollar more on the foreign visitors to the coast.  Also if this area was close to Brisbane it'd be full of idiots in Hiluxs and trail bikes ripping it up and ruining it for all

Yes but Queensland has all their farmers running their cattle to the water's edge, ruining the river for all the fish.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:54:49 AM »
In NSW you can find the locations of TSRs quite easily I believe, while in Qld you have to do a FOI search in DERM giving GPS coords or specific map grid reference & if there isn't one where you thought, you've got to cought up another 150 clams for the next search.

Look at recent post from Tasmania Fisheries, they make map for angler show where you can & can't access.

There are some states that recognise fishing as a significant lfestyle past time & the tourism dollars that flow from attractining visitors, some states are woeful. In Qld the peak rec fishing body only focuses on the rustwater areas, especially beach fishing for tailor. Qld transport never is almost never doing anything with non-rusty ramps & Boating & Fisheries Patrol are hardly ever seen. It all adds up to an across the board attitude of not giving a rats clanger about sweetwater fishing in the state.  This is where the likes of FFSAQ need to be far more pro-active, tell SUNFish to pull their heads out of sweetwater all together, get the gloves off, get some dirt under their nails & have a fair dinkum crack for those they claim to represent. Qld is 20 years behind the other states & is falling further behind.........

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:58:05 AM »
How can you compare QLD to the likes of NSW and VIC when these states have the full blown salt/freshwater fishing license..there is huge money generated to be spent on restocking and facilities in these states. Until QLD comes on board with a similar licences don't winge about the government not doing enough. I reckon the sooner the better...

Cheers

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:07:57 AM »
How can you compare QLD to the likes of NSW and VIC when these states have the full blown salt/freshwater fishing license..there is huge money generated to be spent on restocking and facilities in these states. Until QLD comes on board with a similar licences don't winge about the government not doing enough. I reckon the sooner the better...

Cheers

So an all waters fishing licence in Qld is going to solve all problems & pay for facilities for the; bird watchers, water skiers, grey nomads, campers, etc etc etc- groups that have no interest in fishing. The other states have had their ducks in a row alot longer than the introduction of fishing licences.

Granted, there will certainly be some positive spin offs to an all waters fishing licence. However I'd be the first to scream if this money was to be used for boat ramps & camping facilities over habitat restoration & several hundred weirs to be fixed.... Then there's the general anti-freshwater attitude in Qld, 99% would end up getting sucked into rustwater IMHO.
I recon an attitude change could & should be the first step towards Qld catching up with other states, not a new tax.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »
So an all waters fishing licence in Qld is going to solve all problems & pay for facilities for the; bird watchers, water skiers, grey nomads, campers, etc etc etc- groups that have no interest in fishing.

Bird watchers will never pay and I would be happy for them to look for free, Water Skiers well some dams have a boating licence, Campers, some pay some don't, Other groups??...picnickers, they can have a picnic for free too

Granted, there will certainly be some positive spin offs to an all waters fishing licence.
Absolutely yes, huge positives

I recon an attitude change could & should be the first step towards Qld catching up with other states

Millions of new dollars bought about the change in attitube in the other states not a view or wish of a bureaucratic

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 12:17:02 PM »
Millions of new dollars bought about the change in attitube in the other states not a view or wish of a bureaucratic

What I'm saying is that there's already dollars in the kitty for alot of things in Qld already, but little to none percentage wise gets through to freshwater in the form of ramps & habitat rehab, facilities etc, why would more dollars make for a higher percentage.
We already pay in the form of a Private Pleasure Vessel Levy (PPV) on boat rego for boat ramps etc; 17% was promised for freshwater - an outright lie as there is no accountability to show ANY of it has gone to freshwater ramps etc.

We already have a SIP for lakes & this system is showing itself to be a winner (but still requires some efficiency changes), if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Sweetwater being the poor cousin there is an attitudinal change that is required, another tax and the associated dollars will just see filleting tables every hundred meters at Indian Head long before a launching area for kayaks is seen at Villeneuve Bridge IMHO.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 04:20:22 PM »
All that license money got them 40000 bass in Victoria  that's about 10 grands worth.  We get ten times that just for somerset and wivenhoe and you want to trade that for a license so th money can go towards salt water fishing?  I guess I don't look at the big picture enough

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 9
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 05:07:24 PM »
Yes but Queensland has all their farmers running their cattle to the water's edge, ruining the river for all the fish.

That comment is totaly irresponsible, farmers are the caretaker of the land with lots of money invested in their acreage and water infastructure, as a ex-farmer in Qld, who took a lot of effort to protect his river (Condamine) only to allow a few ignorant fisherman access, who then pillaged the river and the environment.

It is not the farmers who should allow access to all, please be considerate, breeding paddocks, watercourses locked off to revigate. Lots of reasons, you may no agree, but if you want free access, why not get together and buy yourselves a property and open it to all.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 06:19:22 PM »
You say that the condamine was your river.  Sadly that is the attitude of many land holders, note that they are not river holders, just land holder who think they own the river.  That is what has been stopped along the ovens and Murray rivers.  Nobody owns the river

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »
You've only got to drive along the Highway near the Glasshouse Mountains to see what the hoons are up to. As far as the farmers "ruining" the fishing that's not entirely true. The problem goes way back further, it just hasn't been dealt with. The Qld Govt is madly spending money trying to lure OS visitors instead of chasing the locals to spend their money at home. Victoria and the NT are the only two states that have really got a grip on freshwater fishing and the access it needs. NSW is coming along nicely now we have a change of Government; I hope it continues. We really DO need a decent rep body to look after the needs of all fishos too. I also believe that because of all the dams in Queensland the decion makers simply take the attitude that "let 'em play in the dams, that will keep them out of the rivers." The NSW DPI even has a book on the stock routes that Fitzy mentioned showing access points and exactly where to find the TRS's. I don't even know if a change of Govt will fix things in Qld. The Sir Humphry system is too well entrenched.
JD