Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Sterile carp receive radio transmitters in ongoing fight to eradicate  (Read 7939 times)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Sterile carp receive radio transmitters in ongoing fight to eradicate 
Tasmania Inland Fisheries Service - 10 October 2013

In an exciting breakthrough male carp that have been sterilised are being implanted with radio transmitters. Juvenile male carp, captured from Lake Sorell, were identified using ultrasound in trials undertaken last summer and then allowed to mature to a point where they were producing sperm in autumn. A number of fish were then either surgically or chemically sterilised. The fish were allowed to recover over winter with regular checks to monitor their condition.

The warming water temperatures in spring would normally see an increase in sperm production as the fish prepare to spawn. This has allowed a check to be made to test the success of the sterilisation techniques that have been applied.

Today carp that have been monitored and identified as sterile were implanted with radio transmitters containing an individual radio frequency built by Advance Telemetry Systems. The “Judas fish” will be held for a week to ensure recovery at which point they will be released back into the wilds of Lake Sorell. Over the coming months the sterile fish will be monitored alongside non sterile transmitter fish to ensure that the sterilisation process has not altered their behaviour as they will become a vital part of the strategy to catch the last female carp from the lake in coming years.

The timing of this deployment has been planned to use a carp sex bias that is currently occurring in Lake Sorell where the young male carp have begun to mature yet the females appear to be a couple of years away from being able to spawn. This provides an opportunity to trial sterile/non sterile “Judas carp” side by side and assess their ability to betray the locations of wild carp in the lake. It should ensure that when the non sterile transmitter fish are removed next year that the program has method of safely tracking and following carp movements throughout the lake and enable the targeting of the last females while avoiding the risk of “Judas” males being involved in spawning events.

This project is being coordinated by consulting scientist Dr Jawahar Patil and veterinary surgeon Dr Andrew Nicholson with funding supplied by the Fisheries Research Development Corporation and the Inland Fisheries Service.

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Sterile carp receive radio transmitters in ongoing fight to eradicate
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
A similar thing was done to me following my sterilisation many years ago.  I don't mean the radio transmitter, I mean that I was returned to my natural habitat after a period of convalescence.  I hope the carp were given little bags of frozen peas to ease the swelling.  Go forth little Judas Carp, enjoy life.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 228
  • -Receive: 21
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 10:47:03 AM »
They should do the same thing all over Australia or find away to cook these mongrels, that's the only way how carp will be close to eradication.

As one person said "There is nothing man cannot do if he puts his mind to it"

Bondy99

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:45:42 PM »
They have been trying to get rid of them for over 30 years, and nothing has worked.  I'm not sure what giving a few males the snip in one lake is going to do. 

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:59:36 PM »
They have not tried it on a massive scale. If they pull their finger out and head out of the sand then it can be done.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 09:45:11 PM »
For it to work they have to find every male carp and desex it.  They are infesting the water from Southern Victoria to Southern Queensland, and you think if people pull their heads out of the sand they can miraculously irradiate them.  Any estimates on the cost of this exercise?  The same people have been trying to get rid of Rabbits, Foxes, Deer, Feral Cats, goats, horses, crown of thorns starfish, tilapia, fire ants, crows, European wasps and a few other introduced species.  Yep, best they extract that digit if that's all that's required.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 11:19:21 PM »
Aussiebasser,

I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing.

In one place carp have been successfully eradicated, using  not entirely but nowhere near in plague proportions.Judas carp were tracked..that was either in Vic or Tas....Landline segment about 4 years ago or so. No fishing was allowed for a period of 12 to 18 months whilst the eradication took place. Trout fisherman were pissed off with fisheries for doing that...I for one very pleased that happen.

You cant have your cake and eat it too.

There's always a workaround. It can be done and not impossible over time. Solution presents itself.

Nothing will be done overnight. Govts and landholders always have different views and none of them until recently decided to work together i.e. wild pigs. Once the pig goes into NP, sorry cant go, its an NP no rifles allowed , let the Ranger shoot the bastards. Cant do that...Activists in the way....

No wonder there are so many pests run amok as there is no national coordinated approach or effort made. The Pommies brought rabbits, foxes, starlings out here for sport and to remind them of England...Tally Ho..and all that rot. pftf pft pft.

Then the fish imports that are dumped in creeks, rivers and dams. Blame people who owned them for that instead of killing the fish outright....nah, dump it in the stream instead.

Canetoad, not to mention other flora and fauna

Effort = Man hours x X, plenty of volunteers in this country. Maybe give those aslylum seekers something to do instead of wasting millions of dollars overseas.

This is what I reckon about carp  :Hunting)  :walkplank

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
Not arguing, just promoting discussion.  You mention that there are plenty of volunteers in this country.  I would suggest that is not the case.  Ask any volunteer stocking group how many people really do give their time and money to help out.  Just last year there as a huge fish kill in the Brissie river which was left to volunteers to clean up.  Considering the number of people who fish the area, the turn out of helpers was feeble at best.  The Albert/Logan stocking group have a huge carp problem, ask them how many volunteers they get to help out.  How many people here belong to a volunteer group, probably a reasonable proportion because of the type of people drawn to this site, but there are still many, many more who could help.  Really, suggesting its a matter of taking their heads out of the sand is insulting to many.  I was involved in studies back in the 1970s, intact I wrote a paper on the movement and distribution of European Carp in 1974.  Have a quick guess as to who was responsible for their distribution?

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 01:52:48 PM »
There is a solution to lack of volunteers,

Lot of people unemployed at present for one reason or another and would be in receipt of a Government payment. Woman included.

The oldman was around during the depression (after WWII)  when vouchers were issued and food rationed. People would do anything back then to survive.

Soviet Union people even cooked dogs and cats during the war to survive.

What can be done is relatively simple via a Govt initiative, instead of so called "Work for the dole" , how about "Work to reduce the carp population in the environment" under supervision. Govt does not care about seriously tackling these issues of pest erradication due to lack of balls, vision or committment.

No flies in China.

Carp is eaten in various countries except Australia. Solution, import a chef who knows how to cook carp, train others to do the same , similar to Japanese who know how to kill tuna and stop the flesh from burning by spiking the brain and run a wire down the spine, stops the electrical conductivity, resulting in beautiful tuna meat. no yellowing.

Back to Carp...once people know how to prepare and cook carp,,,the demand will come and that's when a dent will start on the carp population.  Seine nets with codends would be ideal for that purpose.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »
Really, suggesting its a matter of taking their heads out of the sand is insulting to many.  I was involved in studies back in the 1970s, intact I wrote a paper on the movement and distribution of European Carp in 1974.  Have a quick guess as to who was responsible for their distribution?

I'm not here to play a violin or give someone a rose. I'm not into crystal balls aussiebasser. Which university was you studying at what was the name of your thesis?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 02:53:49 PM »
I didn't go to a University and I didn't say it was a Thesis.  It was a 6 month project I did at Wangaratta Technical College which was then forwarded on to the Victorian Department of Fisheries and Wildlife.  What is your point?  Which volunteer group do you belong to?  What are you here for?

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 03:39:05 PM »
Aussiebasser,

TAFE is different to University studies, I've been to both.

I've know a few people in DPI Fisheries (CI's) take short cuts and dismiss expert advice from those who have spent their entire life on a particular subject and yet boast to say we (DPI) are right.

I've liased with certain people within DPI Fisheries , not all is what is seems to be, no further explanation is required on that.

How rigerous was your papers; where they read by peers? Any constructive criticism?

Did you read any other journals by other authors and verified their sources to see if they true or false when writing your report?

Anyone can write a report but facts need to be proven to substantiate the claims one makes in their report otherwise its just hearsay.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 03:54:56 PM »
I've not professed to be an expert on this Bondy, I merely suggested that your recommendation that "they" take "their" heads out of the sand and that "they" pull "their" fingers out was not the solution to what you tell us the unemployed and the boat people can rectify.  I would really like to see European Carp and also the Cichlid species eradicated.  I just don't think we'll see it in my lifetime and I don't think it has anything to do with heads in sand or fingers in arses.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
  • Liked: 3
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 07:24:27 PM »
Settle it down gents. If the experts can't cure noxious fish on a large scale, rec anglers have a slim chance. At the end of the day, any inroads to carp reduction are welcome and should be encouraged.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 10:44:28 PM »
Admin,

I agree with what you said.

Aussiebasser. At last you understood what I was saying. In essence you acknowledge its not impossible.