Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Fly fishing in Thailand fishing parks  (Read 4631 times)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
Fly fishing in Thailand fishing parks
« on: October 17, 2011, 09:52:15 PM »
About twelve months ago I went on a trip to Thailand and Cambodia to check out some of the culture and temples in particular Anchor Wat in Cambodia. Knowing that there was some good fishing to be had in parks close to Bangkok I organised a guide for the day to fish for Barra and Snakehead. I didn't want to lug a rod around for three weeks just for a days fishing so organised to hire a rod off the guide and just took my reel with a #7 tropical clouser line and a box of flies I tied leading up to the trip. The fish in the ponds aren't fed pellets but live Tilapia and fish scraps which meant they are quite aggressive and very receptive to lures and flies. Black and grey were the colours to use like the patterns on the convict cichilids. I caught about 25 barra between 60 -83cm(the biggest) with about 5 in the morning session on sub surface flies and the rest in the arvo on surface poppers,dalhberg variants and gurgler style flies. I was using a 7/8 weight rod and a simple 2 metre 50 lb leader. The barra ranged between 4 and 6 kg's. Around 2 pm we went to another pond/park to see if I could snare a Giant Snakehead. The park had various different ponds with barra,snakehead,featherbacks (belindas),pacu and various catfishes. The park manager came up to my pond with a bucket of 3 inch Tilapia and proceeded to throw small scoops of fish into the pond. Immediately the surface was thrashing with snakehead getting a feed. The fish wouldn't take a fly until all the livies were gone and even then you had to really coax them to bite by trying different retreives and then changing flies. I caught them on 4/0 Flashtail Whistlers in black/grey with gold flash,all white Wiggle Minnows,a Venison fly a variant of the Dalhberg with a zonker tail and bead chain eyes to give a bit of dipping on the strip. Also the Toga Destroyer was a winner not returning after the 50 lb was bitten through. They fight a little bit like a Toga without jumps - short powerful runs bwith the odd head shakes. After this I went to another pond and fished for Pacu a relative of the Pirahna from the Amazon. THese fish made strong powerful runs and the fly of choice was a black/grey grizzler Half & Half. These are a real nice looking fish. It is nothing like a wild fishing experience but a great sidetrack from the hussle and bustle of busy Bangkok. Leave the partner in town to shop while you sweat it out burning holes in your stripping glove as mine was melted at he finger tips by the barra. Next time I intend to fish the wild for Snakehead and head up into the far north east to fish for wild Thai Mahseer a fish with very trouty habits but loks like a really attractive carp. Here's a few pics Pat.