Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: An Inspirational Effort  (Read 10556 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
An Inspirational Effort
« on: August 09, 2012, 10:15:30 PM »
I've got to share a story...

Coming up to the recently Australian Lure Expo I took a call from a fellow from Victoria, who calls me all excited about the expo. I gave him the info and he threw caution to the wind, booked a site, packed the missus into the car, drove across Victoria, got on a plane to Qld, hired a car, booked a motel and fronted up with his collection of home made lures to show the world.

Now every master has to start somewhere & this fellow is admitedly a learner so his lures are not works of art as yet, in fact they're pretty average next to some long established makers to be honest. Now I'm not sharing this to sledge the fellow, rather to show how keen this guy is to learn the lure makers craft. He sat at all of the seminars taking notes, asked question of many other lure makers present and wore his passion on his sleeve from start to finish. I'm also so impressed that legends like KC gave him the time of day and offered hints and tips on how to improve his lures; that in itself is a testament to the attitude of those who attended.

To top it off, he sent a big thankyou message to pass onto all of the workers and other lure makers for "A GREAT EVENT BEST FISHING SHOW WEVE EVER BEEN TO"

For those that had the foresight to pick up one or two of his lures, you're sitting on something worth adding to any collection, because given time, this fellow is going to be making lures as good as anyone. I'm proud to say I did & his lures are sitting in my collection next to my prized collectables and next year I'll buy another couple to sit next to those, the difference will be profound I'm sure....

This in my mind, is what the Australian Lure Expo was all about. Good on him.  :youbeauty 

The name to look for is Beardy's Lures. Watch this space......

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
Re: An Inspirational Effort
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 10:45:04 PM »
Yeah Fitz

I bought one after you told me about him, yep they're a bit rough around the edges but a very unique look I thought. Luremakers all start somewhere and he is only going to get better. Good on him for having the courage to make the effort and make it to the show..Certainly was worth supporting in my view...

Cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:49:26 AM »
As we discussed on the day Fitz, a bloody shame we didn't think about an Encouragement Award for the event, because Beardy would have won it, hands down.
Let's face it though, any Victorian would be looking for an excuse to get to beautiful Fernvale at this time of the year. 

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
As we discussed on the day Fitz, a bloody shame we didn't think about an Encouragement Award for the event, because Beardy would have won it, hands down.

Dale and Fitz, I was thinking the same thing, I think next year you will have a a few more novices after so many learn't new skills this year thanks to the Lure Expo...

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 339
  • -Receive: 135
  • Liked: 7
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »
Agree Fitzy,

I hope Dan continues as his comittment was unbelievable, he sold three lures for the weekend!
A thank-you should also go to Leigh from Mac's Lures for taking him back to his place to show him some of the equipment and techniques he uses.

Cheers Jason