Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Green light on fishing for bass during closed season?  (Read 51676 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Green light on fishing for bass during closed season
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 07:38:02 PM »
The advice was not from a fisheries enforcement officer, personally I believe it is wrong.

I also reckon the Fisheries Enforcement Officer who caught you sitting on top of a school of bass pulling them in one after another would just about spit his teeth laughing if you told him the reason you were breaching a law was because you had a verbal interpretation of the rules from someone in the Department who was not an enforcement officer.

I believe it was just a discussion amongst a group of fisho's and a personal opinion from the gentlemen concerned. (not the opinion of the Department) , very few people are empowered to make public statement on behalf of any government department. (Which I dont think he was intending to do, as said, just his opinion)

Please no one go spouting this as gospel, or stating they have a statement from someone in authority, or god forbid mention his name - you'll only get the poor buggers but kicked. (Whether he is right or wrong, and he is a good bloke who helps us out a lot).

Extract from the current guide, similar to the attachment  Fitzy found on the web site, attached.

The advice was from a fisheries employee in a public arena (not a closed or top secret group), actually three of them, which differs from other advice. Yep, they're all good guys for sure & they're my mates as well. That makes no difference to the point at hand.... For anyone reading; any implication that advice offered and/or discussions had at this meeting were of a secretive nature, or that there's two sets of rules (double standards) is not the case.

What I'm trying to point out by this, there are interpretations of rules being put out there by people on the same team; clear definitions are lacking on what is obviously wishy washy wording. I would suggest that any thought of prosecution in this regard is well nigh a waste of time.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 07:48:02 PM »
Specifically in regard to what Steve?

fitz..

Well how abouts for arguements sake if anyone has posted a reply to this or will to highlight what a few Pro's and a few Con's to the said change of allowing bass to be targeted in the said closed season.

At the moment i see both sides of the story . I see the point that not all bass in fact the good majority cant make it back up ( not so much down ) from brackish water (another point in itself)

Pro New change

I also see a different point that yes bass do need a bit of a break to keep the fishing on par and give them a chance to grow, We dont want to flog them all out and make them lure shy do we ?

Con New change

Also think what may happen in the future to the in place wiers and fishways that stop travel up and down stream. If a be all to end all or even something that does give them a chance is put into place do we want to change the rules after that back to what was already in place ?

Give it a think, I am in no way saying im right or wrong.

Steve

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
I would really like to see the ruling expressed officially in writing otherwise we are just going to have a rehash of the previous bunfight that Anita gave her opinion on.
"You will notice that attempting to catch fish is included in the definition of take and therefore my understanding is that if someone is attempting to take a species of fish during a closed season they would be in breech of the regulation."
What is the difference between attempting to catch and targeting?
Would not we be better off defining areas such as above Mt crosby in with the sip dams where you are allowed to catch bass all year round rather than some opinion that will allow immoral persons to flog the guts out of a fishery .
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2011, 08:07:37 PM »
Fitzy there is a lot of discussion above and many good comments from 8 or 10 people.

Then there is the couple of hundred fellas who just want to get out there and fish, more interested in the colour of the skirts on our Spinnerbaits next time we go out.  If the fisheries say it is a no go area we will go some where else.

Its only for short while. And let those big Bass go to the rusty water and have some fun.

Regards Gordon

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 08:35:21 PM »
Ok, I'll cut to the chase.......

Q- What is the purpose of a closed season?
A- To protect fish from exploitation when they school up during spawning; to allow them to spawn & to deprive anglers of an unfair advantage at spawning sites at this time.

It was brought in with the intent of protecting wild fish. Since then we've introduced stocked fish to the equation. There has been no genetic diversity considerations to the fish chosen for breeding of these stocked fish, no industry wide monitoring, limited guidelines.
Bass is Qld are stocked in impoundments only (weirs and dams) wholey & soley for recreational fishing enhancement, they are not stocked for conservation purposes, hence the above is allowed to continue.

From a management persective, it is desirable that stocked bass genetics do not enter a wild population, however in most cases the horse has bolted...eg Brisbane, Pine, Nerang and possibly the Albert / Logan.

Also, the vast majority of bass stocked in Qld are purchased with public monies, be that from SIPS or RFEP funds given to stocking groups in the form of grants, to improve recreational fishing opportunities.

Another point to consider is that bass have been translocated north of their natural range. The general consensus is that Australian Bass' northern limits is the Noosa River. However bass have been stocked north of Noosa in several rivers eg, Mary, Gergory, Kolan, Burnett and their many tributaries.

So where the underlying question is: Why protect stocked bass, purchased with public monies, with no genetic value with a closed season that prevents the public from fishing for these bass for 25% of the year?

Should we protect genuine wild genetic pockets of bass?
Hell yes!! If we as anglers are genuinely worried about the generic future of Australian Bass, we should be screaming for total & permanent closed waters in places like Noosa River that are as yet not impacted by restocking. Do we or are we calling for this? Hardly.... So the double standard is actually quite endemic. We want our cake and to eat it too!!  :OMG

What is the answer? Well in my oppinion, the closed season is a great thing for genuinely wild fish. For fish upstream of weirs and dams, my thoughts are the closed season is counter productive, not to mention bloody rediculous ao anglers should not only be allowed to target & take bass up from barriers years round, should be encouraged to do so the closer to the salt these fish get.

anyone want to offer answers to those above? I'd love to hear your thoughts.  :thumbsup

Cheers,

Fitz..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 08:41:24 PM »
I would really like to see the ruling expressed officially in writing otherwise we are just going to have a rehash of the previous bunfight that Anita gave her opinion on.
"You will notice that attempting to catch fish is included in the definition of take and therefore my understanding is that if someone is attempting to take a species of fish during a closed season they would be in breech of the regulation."
What is the difference between attempting to catch and targeting?
Would not we be better off defining areas such as above Mt crosby in with the sip dams where you are allowed to catch bass all year round rather than some opinion that will allow immoral persons to flog the guts out of a fishery .
Cheers
Ray

I couldn't agree more Ray, hence the timing is right with a review coming soon.

I've been asking for clear definition from Fisheries & even FFSAQ (claim to be representative body  :o ) for close to a decade as to what the difference is between a weir and a dam.... Apparently its too hard to get consensus. This is important for things like admission to the SIPS or for defining impounded waters such as the topic we're on now.

Its easier to tackle this by location, simply add to the excluded list; Mt Crosby Weir, Caboolture Weir, All waters north of the Noosa River etc. Thaty way true wild fish get protection & anglers can still fish for bass. In effect, the best of both worlds.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »
Fitzy there is a lot of discussion above and many good comments from 8 or 10 people.

Then there is the couple of hundred fellas who just want to get out there and fish, more interested in the colour of the skirts on our Spinnerbaits next time we go out.  If the fisheries say it is a no go area we will go some where else.

Its only for short while. And let those big Bass go to the rusty water and have some fun.

Regards Gordon

Gordon, you're fine to go fishing with a spinnerbait on your rod anywhere you could 2 weeks ago. If you want to fish the Pine, Brisbane, Nerang, Logan, etc etc etc you jolly well go for it mate. If someone asks you what your chasing.. tell them "Fish mate".
Part of the reason for the discussion is relly more about an ingrained attitude of bass anglers that we're holier than thou. You don't see these discussions around barra or cod closed season... Funny that......  :-\ 

Skirt color? How long is piece of string mate, but hopefully the color that I have on at the time is the best.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Diamond(JB)
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »
Unfortunately Fitzy. Once the horse has bolted, as you put it it is virtually impossible in reality for the average fisho to differentiate between wild and stocked bass. If there is no impassable barrier downstream then there is not always a way of telling whether a fish is wild or not. Why don't people just avoid Bass is brackish water. They are not stretched over a large area so if you get some when chasing other fish then move.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »
Unfortunately Fitzy. Once the horse has bolted, as you put it it is virtually impossible in reality for the average fisho to differentiate between wild and stocked bass. If there is no impassable barrier downstream then there is not always a way of telling whether a fish is wild or not. Why don't people just avoid Bass is brackish water. They are not stretched over a large area so if you get some when chasing other fish then move.

G'Day Brett.

Only closed season in brackish water. That's  a very good point, simple and constructive. That's what I'm looking for   :thanks

C'Mon guys, lets get this to a point where we can deliver this to fisheries as a recommendation for change.  :youbeauty

fitz..

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 09:01:16 PM »
Knowing ignorance is no excuse, The fact that nearly 80% of the people that i talk to while out and about do not even know the bass closed season existed or what it entaild.

Another arguement for a later date pending.

Steve

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
Knowing ignorance is no excuse, The fact that nearly 80% of the people that i talk to while out and about do not even know the bass closed season existed or what it entaild.

How true is that. And there are those that know that continue to target them

For me I will leave them alone for the 3 months, as there are more than enough other fish and places to play with. Why? its the current law. I agree that there are places that this law should be lifted, such as above weirs but until then ......

I am with you Paul. Chasing some pinks in the rust water next week end. :thumbsup

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »

Steve

Agreed..........  :'(

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 09:23:30 PM »
How true is that. And there are those that know that continue to target them

For me I will leave them alone for the 3 months, as there are more than enough other fish and places to play with. Why? its the current law. I agree that there are places that this law should be lifted, such as above weirs but until then ......

I am with you Paul. Chasing some pinks in the rust water next week end. :thumbsup

Same as you Steve, I won't be fishing for them in any river, however I know full well I can do if I want to.

Knowing something is wrong, or rather not quite right and not trying to fix it is not going to get it changed. If enough people / groups put in similar submissions then change should happen.

cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »
closed season on brackish water is about the closest thing to a way out / alternative i can see remotely possible .

How would that go with bream coming in more in the cooler months ? The same fishing basics are used for both .. Would it be like the closed season on cod or no take species just release them as quickly as you can if one does pop up as by catch ?

Most rivers and creeks have a defined barrier between fresh and where the brackish can reach, would as many of these be identified as possible ? and considered the boundary ?

Steve

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 144
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »
Problem with this situation not being black or white is that its like watching a sporting game its up to the refs own interpretation of the rules. One says its OK and the next one says no, I think Ray is on the money when its safe to fish is when its in writing. We would all like to keep fishing the way we have lately we have had a ball.

Dino