Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Australian Lure Expo 2012 5 1

Author Topic: Australian Lure Expo 2012  (Read 70917 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Australian Lure Expo 2012
« on: January 10, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »
I'm in the planning stages of putting together the first ever Australian Lure Expo (ALE).

This event is designed to highlight & celebrate Australian made lures, (commercial, cottage & home made), both current and past and to have a place for all admirers of Australian lures, lure collectors, and interested anglers to get together.

It is also intended to be a place where those keen on getting into making their home made lures can come along to learn how to do it and pick up some hints & tips from some work shops.

Where
The planned venue is the new Somerset Regional Council's Community Hall at Fernvale, Qld. A brand new facility with secure large under cover floor space, large parking areas. There is also space for exibitors to be able to camp on site with toilet & shower facilities being available.
http://maps.google.com.au/?ll=-27.455379,152.65725&spn=0.004789,0.010525&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6

When
Speaking with some lure manufacturers, winter is probably the best time so the plan is to hold the ALE in July/August. Dates will be confirmed.

Initially it was thought that this event would be a one day afair, however the growing enthusiasm & excitement in lure collectors and industry has shown the need to make it a 2 day event.

If anyone would like some input or is intersted in attending, feel free to post a reply to this topic or drop me an email HERE>>>

This topic will be updated as information is confirmed or changed. I appreciate that there are numerous forums or groups who may be interested, however I simply don't have time to visit the many sites to replicate this info so feel free to add a link to this topic in other websites or email groups. Members of sweetwater fishing can set a notification so that you get a message of any new posts/replies to this topic.

In the mean time, feel free to post your ideas, thoughts or questions as a reply to this topic, also if you would like to attend either as an exibitor or visitor.

Kind Regards,

Garry Fitzgerald

Update 24/1
Pictures of venue loaded onto ALE face book page

Update 5/5
A webpage has been made for the event. Go to http://www.lureshow.com.au

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Australian Lure Expo
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:10:34 AM »
Hi fitzy sounds awesome mate,.

Being an Australian Lure Expo, I personally would have no interest what so ever looking at plastic lures made in china.  does the name in itself explain what it should be about ?  You can see enough plastic lures in any shop or K-mart for that fact without bringing them to something like this. ( just my thoughts )

I would be keen to talk to and share info on Collectable Australian Lures
 ( what is classed as collectable I have my idea but would be different to others )

I would like to learn about Older Australian Lures and I reckon there is nothing better than seeing one in person and asking the story about it ......A picture on the internet just isn't the same sometimes.

We have some very talented cottage lure makers around at present and this would be a great chance to see some of the models up close.

I reckon the Valuation and confirmation of past lure makers art would be a great asset for the new up and keen collectors whom have trouble picking a real or no so real lure.

But as the time comes closer it would be good to know the finer details as it unfolds............ In saying that, Who is or who are the main organisers in this event ?

I hope it would be a two day event as I don't think one day would be enough to have a chat and oggle over peoples lures and catch up with a few new faces.

anyway that's just a couple of my thoughts but most of all keep it ...... AUSSIE  AUSSIE Aussie

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 31
  • Liked: 5
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Noosa
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:40:42 AM »
Hi Gary ,
l think this is a great idea and l would like to attend. 2 days sounds great.
cheers,
Barney.

DEEP RIVER LURES.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »
What an awesome idea Garry, you can count on me being there & if you need any help give me a call. I assume lures would be for sale as well, better start looking for a job.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
Hi fitzy sounds awesome mate,.

Being an Australian Lure Expo, I personally would have no interest what so ever looking at plastic lures made in china.  does the name in itself explain what it should be about ?  You can see enough plastic lures in any shop or K-mart for that fact without bringing them to something like this. ( just my thoughts )

I would be keen to talk to and share info on Collectable Australian Lures
 ( what is classed as collectable I have my idea but would be different to others )

I would like to learn about Older Australian Lures and I reckon there is nothing better than seeing one in person and asking the story about it ......A picture on the internet just isn't the same sometimes.

We have some very talented cottage lure makers around at present and this would be a great chance to see some of the models up close.

I reckon the Valuation and confirmation of past lure makers art would be a great asset for the new up and keen collectors whom have trouble picking a real or no so real lure.

But as the time comes closer it would be good to know the finer details as it unfolds............ In saying that, Who is or who are the main organisers in this event ?

I hope it would be a two day event as I don't think one day would be enough to have a chat and oggle over peoples lures and catch up with a few new faces.

anyway that's just a couple of my thoughts but most of all keep it ...... AUSSIE  AUSSIE Aussie

G'Day Tony,

Thanks for the reply.
Basically I'm the organiser in that I've had the idea rattling around in my head for a few years & started kicking it around a bit more seriously over the past several months. In saying that, I've had some great input from some avid collectors I know & have taken their ideas on board so in essence this is as much their doing as anyone's. I would love to throw names out here but until I get their ok I wont (I'm sure you know who they are). So I guess all the official stuff is on my plate, the ideas and concept is from a few folks. Like alot of events I've run over the years, to pull off anything successful you need good people on the team and we will certainly need some volunteers to pull this off successfully. I'm shooting for this to work on a cost recovery basis & to make it work as cheeply as possible as I'm paying the bills. So if I can't get enough volunteers, I'll have to pay workers which will put the cost of the event up. At the end of the day, the success or failure depends on who comes.

I will be inviting some collectors with alot more knowlege & experience than myself to come along to do lure identification / confirmation / valuation etc and encourage everyone to bring their "old unknown" lures from from the box or shed along.

What is Collectable? How long is piece of string? Some people will collect anything, other only want specific things so what is collectable is a personal thing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yep, Aussie all the way. At this point I'm not interested in specifics or politics of who or who shouldn't be "allowed" to display. Heck if its an Aussie made lure, plastic, timber, foam, rubber, metal or spinnerbait it's fine by me. I've seen some Aeroplane spinners that have got to be 50 years old that are true works of art.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:40:07 AM »
Hi Gary ,
l think this is a great idea and l would like to attend. 2 days sounds great.
cheers,
Barney.

DEEP RIVER LURES.

G'Day Barney,

Thanks for the reply. It will be a pleasure to have you there & to check out your lures.  :youbeauty

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:43:52 AM »
What an awesome idea Garry, you can count on me being there & if you need any help give me a call. I assume lures would be for sale as well, better start looking for a job.

Cheers Andrew

G'Day Andrew.
Cheers mate, will be handy to have you on board.  :youbeauty

I recon there will be the odd lure for sale or trade  :P  Noting that commercial lure makers sell at a wholesale / bulk level, I've invited the local tackle store along (Charltons Fishing) to have a stand for any commercial guys to work through them to make their lures available to the public.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 12:54:51 PM »
G'Day Fitz I imagine you have spoken to some of the guys involved with Lure Lovers as there is a huge depth of talent and variety coming out of that site. There appears to be a good number of QLD makers on there and judging by the last meet and greet/fish together up a Borumba last November plenty are prepared to travel to share their passion. A great idea mate all the best in you planning and preparation. Cheers Pat.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Cape York
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 03:33:43 AM »
G'day Gary ,
l know you have 100 different things to organise with the ALE , but l was thinking maybe a stand could be set up to show/sell 'remote' luremakers from far and wide parts of Oz who cant attend the event?
lt could be run by a couple of volunteers?
Just a thought...
Barney.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: water
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 04:44:20 PM »
Fitzy,
this will be a decent turn out mate, have had a lot of interest shown, and a few interstate makers have shown a definate interest,and are willing to travel....... will be good to see it get off the ground, if I can volunteer on the days in any way Id be happy to help.
A few of us are discussing setting up a stall together............A couple of quality makers, and then just my busted ass homemades thrown in amongst them... :thumbsup.
Hope all goes well, could be bigger than you think.
Jas

Nichos Maulers..............Homemade timbers

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
Fitzy,
this will be a decent turn out mate, have had a lot of interest shown, and a few interstate makers have shown a definate interest,and are willing to travel....... will be good to see it get off the ground, if I can volunteer on the days in any way Id be happy to help.
A few of us are discussing setting up a stall together............A couple of quality makers, and then just my busted ass homemades thrown in amongst them... :thumbsup.
Hope all goes well, could be bigger than you think.
Jas

Nichos Maulers..............Homemade timbers

G'Day Jas.

Thanks for the info. Can I get you to email me yours & your staff mates info to add to a database for mailouts?

Appreciate your offer of support, I will be sure to put your talents to use.  :thumb

Oh, & the ALE will get off the ground. Just waiting on info from council for floor plans, costings etc then more details will be forthcoming.

Cheers,

fitz..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:10:43 PM »
G'day Gary ,
l know you have 100 different things to organise with the ALE , but l was thinking maybe a stand could be set up to show/sell 'remote' luremakers from far and wide parts of Oz who cant attend the event?
lt could be run by a couple of volunteers?
Just a thought...
Barney.

G'Day Barney,

Thanks for your input.  :thumb A great idea. For commercial makers/sellers (anyone with an ABN) can make their lures available through Charltons Fishing who will be there for the event. However from a hobbyist perspective, if there's enough call for it I'll call for local helpers, or possibly team the remote makers up a local surrogate/sponsor to fly their flag for them.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
G'Day Fitz I imagine you have spoken to some of the guys involved with Lure Lovers as there is a huge depth of talent and variety coming out of that site. There appears to be a good number of QLD makers on there and judging by the last meet and greet/fish together up a Borumba last November plenty are prepared to travel to share their passion. A great idea mate all the best in you planning and preparation. Cheers Pat.

G'Day Pat.

Thanks for your input.  :thumbsup Once I've got some firm idea on how much many inside / outside stalls (for want of a better term) we can fit & the costs, I will be doing some advertising. There's enough people involved to be able to diseminate the info to clubs/groups etc once the info locked & loaded. From my position (part owner of this sweetwater) , its poor "netiquette" for me to post info on other non-affiliated sites without permission/blessing.

Cheers,

fitzy.. 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 06:23:31 AM »
I'd certainly come along for a looksee, bring my mate who dabbles in lure making.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:47:25 PM »
For commercial makers/sellers (anyone with an ABN) can make their lures available through Charltons Fishing who will be there for the event. Cheers,

fitzy..

I don't know how the above can be taken to mean that if you have an ABN you wont be permitted to attend unless your contact Charltons Bait & Tackle store.  :o 
This is only an OPTION for the commercial makers who:
A- don't sell direct to the public, and/or
B- cannot attend.
The mention of the ABN is that to sell any goods through Charltons (or any tackle store) you require an ABN to trade as many hobyists have found out when approaching tackle stores.

I trust that the above has clarified any misunderstanding or misinformation. BTW- if anyone wishes to contant ME regarding this event, my email is
info[at]sweetwaterfishing.com.au, feel free to drop me a line & I'll give you my phone number.

Kind Regards,

Garry Fitzgerald