Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Awoonga and Competitions  (Read 21425 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Awoonga and Competitions
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 11:40:01 PM »
Oh No.....

Looks like the weather at Awoonga is gonna be raining and raining hard.  Well that is what the forecast on the old I-Phone is saying.  First we lost our boat owner so we are down to two and now the weather.

Apart from the possibility of being miserable standing in the rain all day(a previous trip to M saw two days of heavy beating rain) what is your experince of fish activity during these periods.  From everything I have read generally they might shutdown a bit and things get a bit tough ?

What do you guys reckon

Cheers   :thumbsup

I've got no qualms about fishing in the rain. I'm a believer in a connection between high humidity and fish activity in coastal rivers/lakes. Leading edge of a front can be a brilliant time to be have a lure out. The fish don't mind the rain either, they're already wet. Pleated pantaloons and pressed shirts must not look the best wet, many noise boats often clear out when the frogs are croaking. Less vroom & more room makes for better fishing options.  :thumbsup

fitz..

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 06:28:35 AM »
Fished Awoonga in the rain last Christmas.  The fish didn't seem to mind.  They're already wet.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 07:37:05 AM »
Interesting info.  Thanks

I have been out on the water fishing for bass and have found they have shutdown but this might be more to do with sudden baro changes more than the rain. 

I guess we will be wait and see.  At least it won't be stinking hot and I'm getting sunburnt every second. 

Cheers guys   :thanks

p.s.  I dont think I have ever, or will ever wear pantaloons!!!   8)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 93
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 07:53:28 AM »
Fitz and Dale have given you enough info to keep it positive. Positive minds catch fish.
Make sure you carry ideal wet weather gear, to keep you not only dry, but warm- to stay healthy. Bright warm sunny days can sometimes produce cr@p fishy conditions whilst heavy overcast, low light, warm days can be dynamite- it all depends how nature delivers the rain. (One big day long pour down in calm conditions, or, small squalls with lighter skies/periods between.) The latter will provide more bite windows than the former. The fish choosing their moment to feed, not necessarily biting whilst the rain is pouring. Days of calm will settle the fringes- wind will ruffle the edges creating fishy opportunity.  Mornings where it's o/cast, warm and calm are usually better than windy mornings on Awoonga- in the summer months.
If guides cancelled every charter due to the weather being a bit unfavourable for people's comfort- we'd miss out on many days of ideal fish catching conditions. One of the battles when fishing solo/ charter/ comp/whatever is finding where to be- depth, water conditions, technique.
There's some good fish being caught trolling in the deeper water, so it's up to you how you approach it. Tow a lure, 10-20 ft down if doing nothing else.
Johnny

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 11:11:06 AM »
All this advice is very greatly appreciated.  I am storing all of this in my head and creating my own little check- list of variables to take into account when I get there and whilst I'm on the water now and in the future.

Many thanks indeed. :yourock