Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Humminbird 597CI Combo fitted to an Ocean Kayak Prowler Torque  (Read 17767 times)

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
Humminbird 597CI Combo fitted to an Ocean Kayak Prowler Torque
« on: January 28, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
Well I have had the Prowler Torque here for a while and I have searched the internet world wide to find solutions on how best to mount a Humminbird Sounder to my Prowler Torque. Fitzy and others have provided a couple on this forum too and I did see an install on a utube clip a couple days ago and I was fully convinced I needed to drill a hole or two into the centre hatch lid of the kayak. I had the area marked out, where the holes needed to go but I just couldn't do it. On the inside of the hatch lid it says not to mount anything directly onto the lid so I always had this in the back of my mind. So a couple weeks ago I came up with a solution but discounted it but today I went back to it and this is what I have come up with.

At this stage of the project it is showing just the sounder in place where I think it will be best for viewing. I still need to do the wiring of the power lead and the transducer cable.

I purchased a BLA product, Model Number 526204, Plastic mounting plate. This plate is a mounting base for a Humminbird sounder and is normally screwed into a predetermined spot on the Australian P13/15 Prowler range. I decided to use this product as it gives me a mounting base so I can attach it to the straps that hold the battery/Centre hatch lid in place on the Torque. This plate comes in a little short in length. so to get more length to it I added two flat pieces of aluminum bar on each opposing edge to get a longer length to the mount plate.

So if you look at the pictures attached here, I have a Humminbird sounder mounted in a convenient spot to make easy viewing while fishing. No holes are drilled in the hatch lid and it can be stored in the vacant spot below for transport when the battery is taken from the kayak.  Remember under this hatch area when the kayak is in use is a deep cycle battery. I plan to run the cable for the power and transducer forward of this area through a hole that I will drill in the top of the kayak. When doing this I will make sure there is plenty of reach in the cables to allow the sounder bracket to stored in the empty hatch area, as when transporting this kayak the battery is taken from the kayak.

I plan to have a separate battery supply to run the sounder as there will be days where I won't be using the electric motor on this kayak and I will just install the paddle plug in the rear of the kayak instead of the electric motor housing. So I will have a power cable running from this battery back to the sounder mount.

The transducer is another story as I have a transducer on order but I haven't heard back from Charltons even if its available in Australia but if all else fails I suppose I can get it from the states, I just hope it will be compatible to the Australian Sounder. Check out this link to see how I intend to do the transducer mounting, http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/showthread.php?t=75725

Anyway check out the pictures so you decipher what I am on about...as I said it's work in progress...

The blank canvas

The BLA humminbird mount plate with the added aluminum flat bars to each side

The underside, later I will apply some self adhesive cushioning foam on this side to make this surface more even.

The top view with Hummingbird bracket attached.

The top view with the sounder installed. The flat area to the right(in the Pic) of the curved molding is where I plan to bring the cables through to the sounder.

The finished look...

Sel

Stacer Proline Angler 399 - Yami 30hp 4str
Hobie Outbacl
Hobie Revolution 11
Hobie Quest 11

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Humminbird onto the Prowler Torque...still in progress
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »
G'Day Sel,

A good job there mate.  :thumbsup

I've got qualms about mounting a fish finder directly onto the hatch cover.

I dropped into Charltons Tackle tonight on the way home from Brisbane & noticed a through hull transducer was there, must be yours.  ;) As soon as I saw it I thought it would be perfect to go straight through a kayak scupper.  :tick

You're going to set come winter for Wivenhoe mate.

fitz..

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »

I dropped into Charltons Tackle tonight on the way home from Brisbane & noticed a through hull transducer was there, must be yours.  ;) As soon as I saw it I thought it would be perfect to go straight through a kayak scupper.  :tick

Yes mate, they called today and I now have it in my possession. Making that washer on the link I have in my last post was a handful though but now all good. It helped to have the right size holesaw which I had to add to my collection today after a visit to the hardware store.

You're going to set come winter for Wivenhoe mate.

Ah yes Wivenhoe, that's if there are any left in there. But the the thought of Fishing there this winter in my Prowler Torque is exciting me.

I will post up my further progress soon when I tackle the next step of the installation.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:41:27 PM »
Well after a busy weekend I managed to complete the install today. I have a bit of silicone to apply here and there to make it completely waterproof for testing on the water.

As this kayak has no centre console as most other sit on top kayaks do it was a challenge to mount it without having a sounder mount protruding from the top side of the kayak. I could see loading issues down the track if a sounder mount was in an open position above the sides of the kayak. With this semi permanent sounder mount it will still allow easy loading of the kayak on racks on my 4WD.

I have to say I am satisfied with the way it turned out, no holes in the Centre hatch lid which is marked on the instruction clearly not to do. I have chosen to have a seperate power supply as I might get interference from the main battery that powers the Minn Kota if I was to use that battery. Also the days where I don't take the motor with me and use the Torque just as a paddle kayak I still have an independent battery supply to my sounder.

Check out the pictures below...

This is the transducer that is best suited to fit in the transducer scupper of the Prowler Torque.

Transducer installed, the washer below the locking nut is a DIY project which can be found here
, http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/showthread.php?t=75725

My normal independent battery supply which I use on all my Kayak DIY Projects

The completed look, Sounder in position, Transducer fitted with square cover plate installed, the wires from the sounder mount run under the lip of the front hatch
for tidy finish.

To pack up when you are finished, install the Humminbird Boot over the sounder mount

Then open the hatch and put the upturned plate inside the empty hatch, by sheer luck it fitted in.You can see the power and transducer cable here routed inside the kayak.

Then put the centre hatch lid back on, everything is inside for safe traveling.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Humminbird 597CI Combo fitted to an Ocean Kayak Prowler Torque
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:01:15 AM »
I've just had a big weekend in my Torque Sel, and learnt some things about the sounder and set-up.  I'm running a 70AH Gel battery in mine, but I don't put it in the front compartment.  It goes quite nicely in the rear compartment where the esky cut-out is.  Because the Minn Kota on the Torque has a maximiser, my sounder will not work unless the motor is off or at full speed, anywhere in between and the sounder blanks out with interference.  Not sure if there is anything I can do for the interference, apart from a second battery.  I use the original battery compartment for tackle, so it's easy to get at.  Do they do those thru hull tranducers for a side scan?

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 09:03:27 AM »
Awesome setup Sel, you do some very fastidious work mate!  :thumbsup

Shane

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 11:09:16 AM »
Nice work Sel and it's been enjoyable watching how much thought you have put into the installation process.
 :youbeauty

Cheers.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 11:44:58 AM »
Another tip for Torque owners.  Keep the auto cut out lead in the battery compartment as well, not on a shelf in the shed.  Don't ask how I know this, however the cut-off switch can be held open with two judiciously placed cable ties.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »
Bit like leaving the Bungs in the splashwell and travelling 300km's over rough roads to the back of nowhere and expecting them to still be there ...dooohh...thank god for fillet knives and she oak branches.

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »
Do they do those thru hull tranducers for a side scan?

Yes they do Dale, not sure they if it available in Australia and whether it will fit in the scupper transducer, I suppose Fitz may know the answers to these questions. http://store.humminbird.com/products/314032/XPTH_9_HDSI_180_T

I also stumbled onto this site while looking around for your request, http://www.xumba.scholleco.com/index.php?sid=58aef9c4fe12191de00dcf8eefcfc172  Looks like there is some good info here for all the Humminbird fans amongst us..... :youbeauty

Cheers

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 07:00:49 PM »
You have a pretty good mind set to tackle challenges with kayaks sel well done  :youbeauty

Steve