Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Boondooma Or Barambah ???  (Read 9723 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Boondooma Or Barambah ???
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:26:57 AM »
G'day guys,
with under 3 weeks untill I leave (19 sleeps) just wondering if anyone has heard how these dams are fishing ?? I will be staying at proston for 2 days before heading to Awoonga & I see that Boondooma has been overflowing !! Does this lessen the chance of getting onto a bass ?? Do bass head for the sea when dams are spilling over . With Barambah being 50 odd % full would this be a better option ???  So many questions !! But to a virgin Bass fisho ,I need all the help I can get !!
Any help would be appreciated
cheers AL

Proud Member Of The F.F.F.C

I SUPPORT "WE FISH"

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Boondooma Or Barambah ???
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »
Based on recent form/reports.
IMHO I'd probably think about hitting Wivenhoe or Somerset if you're after bass (size & numbers), but it depends on the route your taking up there I guess.

Fitz..

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 03:27:44 PM »
Thanks Fitzy
 :-[ :-[ Unfortunately we booked our accomodation already , do you know if Cania has recovered after the fish kill???
cheers AL

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:15:14 PM »
AL,

From memory there is a tournament being run at Cania this weekend (electric convention).  The results from that tourney should give a good indication as to how the recovery process is going.  I will keep an eye out for the results and let you know here if you would like.  Unless with Fitzy's permission I can put the link up to that site.  Happy to share the link just not sure of protocol to linking other sites.

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: around Sunny CQ
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
I hear on our local radio fishing show this morning that plenty of fish were caught at Cania last weekend. (Not sure if that was the comp though). Good to hear all the same.

Jono

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 02:09:23 PM »
If you go to Cania, say G'day to Chappie and Marion at the camp ground.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 05:51:50 PM »
Hi
There is only 6cm deep over the spillway at Boondooma the fish seem to still be up the back of the dam . I fished there last sunday got 9 bass 2 yellos ,
first cast 48cm bass fat as mud hit hard and run hard , out of the 9 bass 3 at 48cm 2 at 45cm and 3 at 40cm all taken on blades hopped along the bottom ,
fish sitting between 14ft and 20ft deep,
                 cheers johno

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »
AL,

The first day of the electric convention has been run and won.  There were a total of 64 anglers with only 29 fish from 24 anglers being presented to the scales, winning weight was 1.64kg.  Not sure if that answers any questions in relation to the fish kill however the photos of the 2 fish caught were healthy specimens.  There is 1 more day of competition left to go so I will let you know how that goes when the results are posted.  Hope this helps.

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 05:34:10 AM »
Thanks Fellas
We are booked in at Proston ,so we'll probably stick to the original plan & fish Boondoomah & maybe Bjelke
 :thanks
cheers AL

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:16:45 AM »
AL,

The following is the report from the Electric Convention held at Cania over the weekend just past.  I realise you will be doing Barambah or Borumba but figured I would follow through on my promise to report.

For the 68 strong field it was a frustrating weekend, with 54 bass hitting the scales, and endless stories of just-unders rife throughout the field. For day one victor Anderson it was a game plan executed to perfection that delivered him his best result to-date in a MotorGuide BASS Electric Convention.

Cracking the winning pattern the week prior in a rival tournament Anderson hit the rockwalls upriver to secure his limit, the approach delivering him his first fish at 6.50am and the second at 7.50am. 

"It was the standout pattern the week before and it all came together as I hoped," explained Anderson. 

With his boat in 20 feet of water Anderson worked his way parallel along the bank, casting a Jackall TN60 in ayu up into the shallows, sinking it to the bottom then rolling it back to boat. The technique saw the lure swimming just above the bottom and worked slow enough to keep it just ticking over. 

"There were small fish everywhere, so many so that we caught 80-100 the week prior, but it was the big ones actively feeding up in the shallows that offered the most reward," explained Anderson. 

The pitch specific approach for the big fish was spot on with Anderson bagging the two standout fish for the session and securing the win over his nearest rival Shaun Falkenhagen by 250 grams. His catch card for the day saw him with ten bass for the session, including two legal bass, and three yellowbelly. 

The tackle he used to secure his win included a G.Loomis CBR783 rod, Shimano Chronach reel, 10lb Fins mainline and 12lb Berkley Vanish leader. 

Not to be overshadowed by Anderson was day two winner Ricky Simmons, 1/1, 1.05kg, who in contrast to Anderson fished a flooded grass point in the upper reaches of the dam to catching his winning fish. 

"I found the spot during a prefish on the Thursday and while it didn't produce on day one it fired on the second", explained Ricky. 

Adjacent to deep water and a near by creek bed, Simmons money spot was comprised of a steep sloping point with an 8 feet deep plateau on the top where the fish were holding. 

"The were plenty of signs of life from the minute I got there. Baitfish were flicking everywhere, and the fish I caught were spitting up bait as soon as I put them in the boat", explained Simmons. 

Picking an active bait for the active fish Simmons used a custom (ayu and red) coloured Jackall TN50, casting it across the flat, sinking it to the bottom then working it back with a wind-pause retrieve. 

"They'd only hit the lure on the pause so it was crucial to stall the retrieve and let the lure flutter back towards the bottom", explained Ricky. 

The approach delivered Simmons 25 fish for the session and his first BASS Electric win. The tackle he used to catching his winning bag included a 7' G.Loomis PR8400 rod, Daiwa Caldia 2000 reel, spooled with 4lb Fireline and 6lb FC Rock fluorocarbon leader. 

Post victory Simmons was acknowledging of the people that had helped him throughout the weekend and the tournament year. 

"It's the people that you meet, fish with and help you out that help make these events as special as they are. Ian Galloway, Dave Bullard and the guys at Parsun electric motors are the ones that I'd really like to thank", explained Ricky. 

Securing the overall fishing crown for the weekend was Redland Bay basser Shaun Falkenhagen, who compiled a 3/3, 2.07kg two-day limit to write his name in the records book as the 2010 Convention champ and pick up the 70 ranking points on offer at the event. 

Fishing a steep rock wall in the middle reaches of the dam, Falkenhagen focused on a particular 50 metre stretch, working it over and over during the weekend. 

"There were plenty of places holding fish, but most of the fish were small. This place in contrast seemed to hold more than its share of bigger fish for some reason. It may have something to do with the fact that it had shade on it for much of the day", explained Shaun. 

Using a combination of lures to catch his fish Falkenhagen started out with a silent Jackall TN60 before swapping to a ¼ oz Evergreen Little Max blade when the sun hit the water. The retrieve for each lure varied also, with the Jackall worked with a slow roll and the Evergreen fished with an aggressive burn. 

"It was important to get the retrieve just right for each lure, if you didn't the fish wouldn't touch it", explained Falkenhagen. 

The tandem lure approach was partnered by a similar contrast in outfit choices, with his Jackall tackle comprised of a G.Loomis CBR783 rod, Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker reel, 10lb Sunline Super PE, and 10lb Nitlon leader. The Evergreen was thrown with a 7' Daiwa Heartland rod, Shimano Stradic 1000 reel, Sunline 6lb Super PE, and 6 and 4lb Nitlon leader. 

Fishing wasn't the only thing on the agenda for anglers over the weekend, with a quiz at the Friday night briefing testing anglers' knowledge of the year on the MotorGuide BASS Electric Tour and bass fishing in general. 38 anglers scored a perfect score on the quiz, with Bassman spinnerbaits alround for the winners. 

Saturday afternoon saw the casting comp once again take centre stage, with friendly banter and outright sledging dominating as anglers tested themselves against the two minute time trial, and one minute point accumulation. Paul Holmberg claimed casting honours for 2010, with perennial casting star Dave Bullard second and Dale Ianna third. 

The random draw of the third Blue Fin/ MotorGuide bass electric package was the final activity for the weekend with Jason Shepardson heading home with a new bass rig strapped to the roof of his car. 

"This is great, to head home with a new Jon Boat on a weekend when finding a legal fish was tough was more than I could have hoped for", explained an ecstatic Shepardson. 

David Trinder ended the year where he started, once again securing the number ranked BASS Electric angler crown, and with hot form throughout the year Dave will once again be the man to beat in 2011. The calendar for the 2011 MotorGuide BASS Electric Series will be released later in the year, so stay tuned to www.australianbass.com.au to see what's in store for the new tournament season.   

Regards
Colin

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 05:56:53 AM »
Thanks Col ,
Cania was where we were originally heading as we had an overnight stop with a quick fish for 1 day last year . We really liked the look of the dam & the gorge area ! so we thought we'd give it a go for a couple of days this year , untill  they had the fish kill . Thats why we thought about Boondoomah , although it seems to be hard to get much of a report out of it , & the few that i've had it seems to be pretty quiet  :(  But we'll give it a go for a couple of days 7 see what happens !! It's still guna beat the cr@p out of workin  :youbeauty
cheers AL

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 08:09:54 AM »
No probs Al,

Fishing does sure beat the heck out of work  :thumbsup  I have heard that the fish were schooling up all over the dam in Boondooma recently but given the nature of our finned friends I could be made to look like a fool if I was to put my house on it!!! Hope the trip is a great one stay safe and most of all enjoy.

Regards
Colin