Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Monduran Barra in timber  (Read 10742 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 82
  • Liked: 18
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Monduran Barra in timber
« on: December 12, 2010, 05:57:52 PM »
Had a fish at Monduran just before the rain moved in again,landed this one on the ever reliable Lively Lures Arafura Barra 130 in Green and Silver[my fav colour in the Arafura for Monduran] and best lure I've found for heavy timber work.

Landed the lure deep in the tree top  that defined a old ck bed by the tree line in about 9ft of water rising to roughly 5-6 ft on a flat weedy area,where the new Minn Kota Ipilot in anchor lock mode was holding the boat in position, a couple of winds of the handle to get the Arafura down to a working depth then a twitch and pause retrieve with impact still well inside the snag

A bit of grunting and a thumb lock turned the fish out to wards more hospitable water, a few jumps and strong runs and lunges back to the pen and it was over and on the mat for a quick measure and pic.

A very healthy fat pig from it's pen was sent back to it's watery home to hopefully fall for the same trick or simular on another day for someone else,their in a good paddock at the moment with plenty of tucker to be had but a lure presented in the right place will still be eaten.

Love this style of impoundment fishing,accurate casting is critical, sudden impact is awesome then hang on for the ride,you win some and lose some but thats all part of the game,other fish were encountered but didn't they didn't stay connected to the hooks.
With another big blast of rain as I type this report things will change again day by day and different methods will need to be explored to find the key to opening the door,but that's part of the learning curve for all that fish the impoundments for Barramundi what works one day or year may not work the next or will it?

Paul

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • View Gallery
Re: Monduran Barra in timber
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:08:03 PM »
nice one PD!!

that's the fattest fish I've ever seen!!!!! :o

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:35:46 PM »
Nice fish Paul, love the trackline of the cast ;D

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 24
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »
Ditto to Dicks comments Paul, thanks for high lighting the cast alley.
Shes a fatty all right.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 08:37:30 PM »
She needs to to do a couple more laps around the inlet to work of the condition I reckon. 8)  I noticed that snag has branch going horizontal.  Do you reckon that is what might have attracted the barra to it or is this reading too much into it ?

Cheers and nice job   :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:54:25 PM »
BBM, I reckon there would be about one billion lay down branches in the drowned timber at Monduran! If only there were that many barra! I'd hazard a guess that there were other factors that came into play for Paul to be working that area, and that the cast line was an opportuity, in side a bigger opportunity, if that makes sense?
Low water levels, the horizontal lay downs were a worthy target if that was your poisen, bang it in deep, twitch, pause, hang on and hope, a lot of that is under 10 meters of water now, but where old doors close, new doors open.
But yeah, horizontal lay downs are allways worth a look.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 10:41:27 PM »
Slates hope ya keepin well mate,and yeh she could have used some Jenny Craig tips,she fought hard, I actually thought it was a smaller fish in the high 90's or just in the meter class but it surprised me when it surfaced with the speed of a couple of the runs.

Here's a few more for ya Dick and Brian this is how I fish this type of country when solo fishing or fishing with good acurate casters,I methodicly work every gap/ ally way I can to get the most out of an area walking the lure through the tree tops and having little to no wind is a big bonus as you can put casts in places they shouldn't be put ;D  casting acuracy is very important to avoid getting hung up all the time and gee they get a lot of bites  but getting the lure back is a problem when a hookup happens in deep,but I know the guy that makes the Arafuras ;) so it doesn't hurt too much,and it's better to have hooked and lost than to never of hooked at all.

BBM,there were a few decieding factors in the location choice, prevailing wind in previous days, water temp[not so critical in the choice] bait movement around the trees,[I'd rather a cooler bay with plenty of bait than a warm bay with none]local birds roosting on the point near by and I know it's a creek bed from the tree line and there were fish caught in there when it was slightly lower in 04-05 so a good reason to fish it as they will be there again at this level and one I really rely on a lot is gut feeling.
Just love fishing tree tops and shrubs  in the right depth of water :thumbsup Bonies love it so do the Barra and any lay down is worth a cast even in 2 ft of water.

Paul

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 19
  • Liked: 1
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Where ever the fish are
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:01:23 AM »
That all makes perfect sense.  What I can't figure out is how you would get that fish outta there which being wrapped and and busted.  ;D 

A bloody good effort  :yourock

I definately would rather have hooked a fish and had a chance rather than see no action that's for sure.  "Risk it all to win Big!!"

Cheers  Geoff

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 07:24:52 PM »
Thanks Paul, nice to note multiple casts down the same line as well, thats a good work out of that spot, with a change of angle or 2 in there as well, whats that old saying - if you think youve thrown enough casts, throw a couple more?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 08:31:24 PM »
Geoff some times you do get wraped up,free spool will often see them come out the same way they went in then hit them again and win and sometimes it ends in greif but it's fun trying.

Brian I do that same thing right along a tree line,fishing slightly forward of the boat so max casts can be made as they come into line then fish back over it,I've made up to 20 casts into the one tree top or shrub and then got a reaction bite when the angle is changed or another colour Arafura is cast in,yozuri mag darter is another favourate but they get hung up alot, suspenders aren't that flash in the heavy cover because they don't float up over branches and get hung up and an upgrade of the hooks destroys the action.
Whenever I get the chance I'm in the timber rattling the pen,will be doing more with fly in timber  when I get the chance.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 419
  • -Receive: 279
  • Liked: 46
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:40:08 PM »
Nice fish Paul and thanks for sharing some great advice, very much appreciated.

I've lost confidence recently in fishing tight timbered spots as I tend to loose more fish than I land, time and time again, however the adrenaline rush is much higher and more of a spectacle with so much going on and to concider, trying to keep one step ahead of the fish, especially when you're on your own. There was some words you wrote in a one of the above posts that has made me think more positively when fishing these areas. :youbeauty It's better to have hooked and lost than to never of hooked at all. Another one for the memory bank!

Thanks Dave

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 09:53:15 PM »
Dave,glad you got something out of the thread,
I love timber fishing!it keeps you on your toes :thumbsup

Paul

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 06:01:55 AM »
Thanks Paul for your post......as Brian said when you think youve thrown enough casts throw some more......I believe most of us are impatient to a degree and should stick around likely spots a tad or two longer.