Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Spooling up  (Read 5518 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Spooling up
« on: November 26, 2011, 02:34:36 PM »
Most would agree that putting new line on a baitcaster is a lot different to spooling up a spin reel. I like to fill the spin reel to within a couple of mm of the lip, but I don't think baitcasters need to be completely filled right up. I just put 100m of 16lb braid on one of my Bass baitcasters which after topshotting with mono left the braid about 3mm  from the lip of the spool. THis extremely fine Japanese Braid and it casts really well. So I don't think it needs to be as close to the lip of the spool as you need with a spin reel. Any thoughts on the matter?
Cheers,
JD

fishing is not essential to life, it's much more important

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Spooling up
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:59:13 PM »
If your spool isn't full you won't get as much line in with each turn of the handle.  Baitcasters cast better full, because the spool doesn't need to turn as many times to release the same amount of line.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 06:21:18 PM »
You're right there Dale, I'm trying out this very fine Japanese Braid that changes colour every 10feet. It's spooled to about 3mm from the lip, but you recommend taking it right to the lip?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 09:51:12 PM »
Have a bit of a practice first.  Some of the very fine Japanese braids, 16lb Daiwa Bay Jigging Sensor in particular has a nasty habit of breaking during a cast.  It's not very forgiving and not very abrasion resistant either.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 11:07:34 PM »
Sorry to change course here a bit but Dale do those types of line have the habbit of breaking during a cast because they bite in on the spool or what ? please educate me a little.

Steve

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:40 AM »
Basser I have had the 20lb Daiwa stuff break on the cast from a spin rod as well so I dont think its a problem with braid digging in.It is very thin compared to other braids.
On the original topic if your spool isnt full then your drag cant work at its best.Particularly on startup.
Ever noticed how your drag seems to get worse as the spool empties over time?
Addit...sorry should have said this refers to baitcasters.Spin gear I would rather not fill the spool right up.Its only ever ended up in tears when I did.

Toddy

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:57:19 AM »
Not really line digging in on itself, but during a cast there are loose loops they you don't even know are forming and they tighten and loosen all through the cast.  Very fine braid will be more susceptible to this.  See if you can get hold of Harro's new Braid book.  AFN are selling it.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 08:36:35 AM »
I tend to take it closer than that, 3mm is a lot of the capacity of a baitcaster. I dont really measure it though, just "yep that looks about right, cut it off there". At a guess? probably less than a mm.

I dont use backing, unless I am short of braid and want to turn over the braid on the reel when it gets to low. Always took the old "you'll get slip if you dont back with mono" with a large spoon of salt, certainly never had it happen to me.

I've never given it a second thought since they started putting spools with holes in them on bait casters. Makes it nice and easy to tie the line on. Braid all the way.

I buy my braid in 1500yard spools from the states delivered to my door, for not much more than what a 125 yard spool costs here.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 10:07:29 AM »
The braid I put on is Toray billed as "Super Strong PE" it only comes in 100m spools so backing is required. I take the attitude than in Bass fishing, which is what this is going to be used for, if a fish can take 100m of string then you've just had one helluva time anyway. The heavier stuff I use can be spooled on by my local tackle shop and you only pay for the line they put on. Dale I've been a big fan of Harro's Bionic Braid for years, It's never let me down. Good stuff, I'll have to chase up the new one.
Cheers,
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 05:23:40 PM »
Have a bit of a practice first.  Some of the very fine Japanese braids, 16lb Daiwa Bay Jigging Sensor in particular has a nasty habit of breaking during a cast.  It's not very forgiving and not very abrasion resistant either.

So it's just not me...have had this happen with 33lb YGK Jigman Ultra throwing a 1/2oz lure. Lovely smooth braid to use and holds a knot well, just prone to random snapping when used on a baitcaster. No such problems with any of the other braids that I have used.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
Jigging braid is very fine, but it's for jigging, not casting.  It breaks bloody easily when casting.  I prefer either Bionic, Finns or Sunline Super PE (Green).  They may be a bit thicker but they are abrasion resistant.  Harro's book will tell you it's all about the "pick".

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 29
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Ever changing
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »
Great topic guys as it can be a minefield deciding on whose "opinions" are right without being biased. I only use spin gear as I've been more interested in my fly gear as an alternative rather than make the effort and try to get the handle on my baitcaster - slack b##tard I know. But since I recently broke my dislike for spinnerbaits getting a couple of bass there is still hope for me yet and I may make that effort using the caster for s/baits. I was going to post a thread about what braid(s) you like and use but this could be covered in this post so hoping you don't mind this is my experience. I have used Fireline in 4 & 6lb for nigh on 8 years I reckon and love (d) it only disliking the breaking in "plasticy" phase but have this year tried a few different braids. I have changed my light outfit to Super PE (flouro green) in 6 lb and reckon it casts a country mile but find any errant "wind knots" more difficult to unpick than Fireline. I bought some cheap Aldi braid just to experiment on a little heavier outfit for spinnerbaits and reckon it casts beautifully and really "quiet". I was a little late getting to the stores so ended with 17lb so I thought I could possibly use it for jacks. How it lasts - time will tell. I have used Fins braid as backing on a couple of fly reels  before and just updated my 10lb outfit for bass with yellow 10lb so will give this a run come Saturday. I always spool spin reels as close to the rim as poss. without it bulging out believing less friction on the spool lip when casting will make for smoother casting and better distance with less effort. Cheers Pat

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 06:50:43 PM »
Hi Pat, Firstly I love using baitcasters, I just reckong they place a lure a little better than spin gear, however in another direction You're one up on me 'cause I've never so much as dabbled with fly. I tend to spool my spin reels a little down from the lip to minimise wind knots. I also try to retrieve the first few metres under load so there's no loose line on the spool. In my experience wind knots are mostly caused by overloaded reels then compounded by loose line. Sorry but I can't share your enthusiasm for Fireline, it always seems to fluff up to quickly. I'm using a variety at the moment, including Power Pro, Berkely Whiplash, Bionic, Castaway and Suffix 823. The Power Pro works OK on baitcasters in the heavier calibers 20lb and up but not so great in the lighter stuff. The windknot problem with Super PE is fairly common and I've lost a couple of spools over time to that particular beast, so I went on experimenting.
It's a big subject, and will get lots of attention here I suppose, but as you say everyone has their own ideas, and you can't argue just because you don't like it. Like a lot of things it often gets down to your personal preferences.
Cheers mate,
John

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events