Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Tethering fish  (Read 19646 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
  • Liked: 2
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Tethering fish
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »
Exactly Brian,
Unfortunately there are a group of people who have a derogatory term for everyone except themselves.  My question is, why would you want to tether a Golden Perch or Silver Perch.  If you want to kill it to eat it, then kill it humanely and keep it, if you want to release it, release it straight away.  Most people who tether do so for reasons of circumventing fisheries rules.  (I want to keep this one, but I might get a bigger one later, or I've already got my bag limit, but I don't want to waste this fish.)
There is really no plausible reason to tether a fish and leave it to slowly die tied to a tree, it doesn't help the eating qualities at all.  I've seen a few big dead cod that were tethered and forgotten or lost over the years.

why is it if someone talks about keeping a fish for dinner there called meatos??? i release all of the freshwater fish i catch. if im after a feed i head to the salt because whitting vs yellowbelly just doesnt cut it!

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »
Fitzy, boofheads doing the freezer run are still in possession of the fish be they in the boat or in the freezer! Suppose they might claim ones in the freezer belong to the wife though... Hardly worth the trip for a few fillets.

Brian, such terms are usually reserved for greenies mascarading as fishermen, generally can be picked because they will pick on other fisho's who are fishing legally, critising them for not meeting their particular shade of green, albeit they are not breaking any law.
Boarslayer, opposite side of the fence to the catch and release nazi is the kill and grill insult.

Like a lot of language, the original term gets changed in use, yes it would be insulting to those who suffered at the hands of Nazi's in WW2 to have it used for someone of a much much lesser form of low life -  but the dilution started almost immediately after the war -  plenty of Germans got called Nazi's whom were not. Its basically become a derogatory term for people with excessive views on a topic. Usually of a polar opposite to the one doing the name calling!

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 11
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Diamond(JB)
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 08:11:52 AM »
Yeah. Extremeists on both sides of the fence. On one hand there are those that release everything and on the other there are those whose conversations revolve around terms such as a fish being 'legal', bag out,  fill the esky, freezer full. We all use these terms occasionally but there are those whose fishing life revolves around them. If your one of these then wake up to yourself. As for tethering I personally don't agree with it. Use a net or take an esky. If you don't have room for an esky then you bought the wrong yak.

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 89
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: water
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
It is not that hard to get a cheap fish stowing bag, be it from Ebay. I got one for my uncle for his bday, 20 bucks and it can fit up to an 80cm whole fish in it. It is insulated and you can take the fish (lined) compartment out to wash it?
I think tethering sounds kinda cruel. I am no means a green, but hey I wouldn't like to be tied to a tree for a few hours until I died.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Eucumbene
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »
Yea, I must be one of these 'meat bags' so Im going to say something.
I fish fun, the challenge, the friends I make AND a feed. I pay my fees and I fish by the rules. I have never taken an undersized fish or gone over a bag limit or possesion limit, nor have I ever teathered a fish (the concept never crossed my mind, and im shocked by it) or 'upgraded' a fish that has been captive for a period of time or taken more fish than I need.

I get a bit PO reading all this stuff about meet bags, quite frankly knock it off.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2011, 07:06:09 PM »
Daniel if your not an offender dont be offended.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 08:27:32 PM »
Yea, I must be one of these 'meat bags' so Im going to say something.
I fish fun, the challenge, the friends I make AND a feed. I pay my fees and I fish by the rules. I have never taken an undersized fish or gone over a bag limit or possesion limit, nor have I ever teathered a fish (the concept never crossed my mind, and im shocked by it) or 'upgraded' a fish that has been captive for a period of time or taken more fish than I need.

I get a bit PO reading all this stuff about meet bags, quite frankly knock it off.
Daniel, as far as I'm concerned there are a lot more of you than there are of any other fisherman.  If it wasn't for guys like you we wouldn't have a SIP scheme.  If it ever comes down to us defending our sport to PETA or anyone else, it is guys like you who can talk the loudest. :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »
After a few enquiries got this answer from Tony Ham, it is legal to tether fish as long as you stick to the size and possession limit or relevent regulations.
It is however illegal to upgrade tethered fish. In freshwater I C&R ONLY outside of stocked impoundments. In stocked impoundments will keep the odd fish for others as dont eat them myself this why they are stocked, to be taken. Will admit to some hypocrisy though with non indiginous natives outside of or entrained from stocked impoundments, remove every one that I catch with the exception of Toga.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 07:18:48 PM »
Thats an interesting interpretation, as Qld has only possession limits.

IE theoretically if I am shark phobic, I can legally catchem, killem and tossem back all day long, as long as I dont have more than one in my possession at any one time. So tossing back a dead or sick one to take a bigger shouldn't be illegal (not that I am advocating that, I consider it a hole in the law), as your immediately rectifying the fact your over your possession limit.

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 11:55:37 PM »
After a few enquiries got this answer from Tony Ham, it is legal to tether fish as long as you stick to the size and possession limit or relevent regulations.
It is however illegal to upgrade tethered fish. In freshwater I C&R ONLY outside of stocked impoundments. In stocked impoundments will keep the odd fish for others as dont eat them myself this why they are stocked, to be taken. Will admit to some hypocrisy though with non indiginous natives outside of or entrained from stocked impoundments, remove every one that I catch with the exception of Toga.

Steve, did HamBone say that a tethered fish is deemed to be in possession?

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2011, 07:09:34 AM »
Where does the law stand regarding "in possession" as against daily bag limits? In the various comps that mainly fish the dams, keeping fish in a live well then upgrading is considered to be OK. I must admit that I have never come across this business of tieing fish up then coming back for it later. Perhaps it's a Queensland thing. Before live wells and in the absence of an ice box we used to put them in something like an onion bag tied to the side of the boat/canoe. I have a problem with extremes in anything whether it be meat hunters or "catch and release nazi's" (quaint term) These days I only take the odd fish for a feed, and see no reason to take a bag limit just because the law says I can. But try very hard not to take the moral high ground. Sometimes with success.
John

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
Steve, did HamBone say that a tethered fish is deemed to be in possession?
That was my understanding Fitz. As it should be, you have caught it and it is clearly in your possession with the intent to take it.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 09:39:25 AM »
Interesting discussion.

I wonder if Fisheries regard thethering  to be the same as holdingin a well or tank?

It is however illegal to upgrade tethered fish

Puts tournament style comps in some difficulties...... First 2 caught as opposed to biggest 2 caught....

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 10:53:26 AM »
Interesting discussion.

I wonder if Fisheries regard thethering  to be the same as holdingin a well or tank?

Puts tournament style comps in some difficulties...... First 2 caught as opposed to biggest 2 caught....
My point exactly Fitzy. I don't fish comps but don't have any problem with those who do. I just wonder how many fish die as a result of being in a live well, particularly one that's not well set up or faulty.
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2011, 11:17:33 AM »
Never ever seen a clear and concise answer to the question of having 2 Bass in possession in a "livewell"(sic) in tournaments in QLD, seems it is tolerated.
NSW has a daily bag limit of 2 and a possession limit of 4 in impoundments so is it legal ?. Rivers with the limit of only 1 over 35 cm would make a live weigh situation unworkable you would think.
Always cringe when I see pics of tournament anglers proudly holding their 2 big fat gravid fish up by the bottom jaw in the US Pro fashion.
Particularly when they have obvious cutaneous haemorrhaging from ammonia poisoning in the "livewell"(sic)  :walkplank