Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Brisbane River-Harpeng Road Wivenhoe Pocket 5 1

Author Topic: Brisbane River-Harpeng Road Wivenhoe Pocket  (Read 10122 times)

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
Brisbane River-Harpeng Road Wivenhoe Pocket
« on: September 01, 2012, 08:46:29 PM »
A good number of us launched from Harpeng Road at Wivenhoe Pocket this morning in order to celebrate the opening of the Bass season. In the pre-dawn light the weather was cool with just the hint of frost on the grass.

Still conditions greeted us as we made our way down to the water.

The bank here is a little soft but luckily there are some wooden sleepers that are handy for launching the yaks.

The action fish wise was a little slow overall but it didn't stop Doug from landing a nice Bass for his first time ever fishing in the Brisbane River. The Bass went 55cm and a new pb for him.

Looks like the big girls are still there, things are looking sweet for the Wivy Comp/Bass Classic in a few weeks time. http://www.bigfishkayak.com.au  Heard of a few Yellas that were landed from down there today too.

Cheers,
Dave.

Wilderness Systems Tarpon100
Wilderness Systems Aspire105 x3
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 105
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
Wilderness Systems Pamlico 135T

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
Re: Brisbane River-Harpeng Road Wivenhoe Pocket
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »
Good Report and nice kayak

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Clair Hall Dam
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »
Hi Guys

Well I got in the water really early!! It was just getting light and I thought I would launch at heartbreak hill!

I am too stuffed to write a full report but second cast I hooked a 52cm on 4lb!! I lost count at about 10, the revalation of the day for me, weedless rigged sliders.........they work really well.

Great fishing and scoping mission before the comp! I swung past Harpeng road on the way home. I have to work out how to get my PA12 back up that hill.....any idea???? Shall I ask the farmer if I can lend his tractor, atv, cow, dog, wife?? bwahahah!

Nice to see lots of yaks on the river!

No rubbish was left and the gate was closed!

Bryan

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:18:29 PM »
Did you use your Vapor? Is this BATMAN Bryan???

If so, are you happy with it...

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 39
  • Fly Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba Dam
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
First sweet water excursion for me. Didn't realize frost covered grass could hurt bare feet so much when rigging up ( bloody towny).  Finally put some faces to names and got some more info on Harpeng Rd from Fitzy. First Bass for a while, mostly rats with one 43cm late in morning on green/black vampire fly.

Cheers and looking forward to see you guys around sometime

Norm

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »
Hi Sel

My main reason for buying the Vapor 10 was weight, it is very easy to handle and getting it up Heartbreak hill although quite tough it was managable (I am just bloody unfit!)

On the water I was VERY surprised, its stable yet paddles really well. I have heard that the Tarbon 100 isn't a great paddler (maybe you could tell us) but the Vapor tracks really well. I used my Hobie paddle as it is a nice fibregalss model compared to the ali one I got with the yak.

The seat could be better, it looks comfy but I will be building up the lumbar support on the back rest and seat. The cockpit is very roomy and I actually kept both my rods out the front with te butts in the yak, its did not inhibit by paddeling. Adding some rod holders for trolling would be good as is side mounting the rods with the Hobie tip protectors.

I paddeled up Locky creek and it was excellent to handle in the super skinny water. I recommend any paddle yakker to make or buy a backwater paddle. I am making my own as I am into woodwork, it will help back out of tight situations or get back in position, especially when you have a rod in your hand.

There was a guy in a bass boat, he knows the farmer at the top, anyway he mad a comment that got me thinking. Because he was standing higher than I and the water was quite clear he could see the fallen trees in the water. As I was sitting so low I couldn't as the glare off the water was impeeding me spotting the said trees. I had a fair idea where they were and I still did well but I though if I was in my PA12 I could raise the seat or even stand.

I am not comparing because getting a PA12 down and then up Harpeng road is going to be a challenge!! but I am going to try! lol!

Back to the Vapor 10, all up for the price I rate it very highly!! For true skinny water and those heartbreak hill scenarios its going to be me who is smiling! :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 11:16:36 AM »
Certainly a nice morning to go for a paddle, did not get a lot of fish though. One yella on a spinner bait a power tail that must have been asleep under laydown that tea bagged it and 2 30 ish Bass trolling back saving me from a Bass donut. Catch of the day for me was a Bassman spinner bait that had some very light leader and braid attached  :thumbsup Good to meet a few people too.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 12:04:43 PM »

I walked down and then up the Harpeng Rd track assessing how I would go getting my PA12 back up the hill, I reckon with two blokes you could do it but I sussed out a better idea. Aldi sell a 4x4 winch for about $300, after doing some forum surfing people actually rate them quite highly. I won't be using it for 4x4'ing but I reckon if you pulled out the cable half way down the hill you could winch old fatty back up without any issues.

Any thoughts?

I am sure there would be a few Revo, Viking and Ocean Kayak owners that would be begging me to load up their yaks for the trip up!  ;D :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 12:27:20 PM »
If you've ever been to Shines Road, I can tell you that it is possible to tie two Old Town Guide 147's and a Vapour 12 together and tow them from the water to the carpark with a length of Telstra rope tied to the towbar of a SS ute.  All with Paul Worsterling watching on.
Have also towed a Pack angler, a Loon 11 and the Vapour 12 up the same hill with the Telstra rope.
Harpeng road should be a walk in the park.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »
Aussie! That is a crack up!!!! ahahaha!

I dragged my Vapor up Shines on Saturday and it was tough by do'able! but that is hilarious....Worsling must have thought these crazy Queenslanders are MAD! LOL!

I reckon I just drive away whilst my mate steers her up........