Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Just scraped a last minute cod session in.  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Member

• Store Customer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 8
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Just scraped a last minute cod session in.
« on: September 09, 2012, 11:14:08 PM »
Last  tuesday Wayne and I threw around the idea of a last minute cod session before the closed season rolled round. I mulled it over as I desperately needed a fish and to escape from life for abit. So after a quick call to my beautiful parents asking if they would be able to baby sit my granddaughter for the next 24hrs the plan was in put in place.
Loaded the Luxy up with baby and fishing gear and after dropping bub off on the way out we arrived at the reserve around midnight. Tent up and my swag down it was off to bed for a few hours sleep. Someone woke me at the wee small hour of 5.30 and after a quick set up of the yaks and gear we dragged the yaks down to the water’s edge. Wayne popped our drinks in the fridge for our return later in the day and we set off upstream first.
Fished the first pool quite solidly before the first of many drags through the various pools in search of the elusive cod. Wayne was ever the gentleman guide allowing me first cast into the various snags and I found even after so many long weeks away from fishing my casting accuracy with the Alphas wasn’t far off. I have been forcing myself to use it solely when out freshwater fishing for this very reason.
It wasn’t long till Wayne hooked his first of 3 cod for the day and sadly I was trailing.
After a return back to our starting point, I quickly ducked up to the car for a change in spinnerbait colours before we headed down stream.
With not as much hauling of the yaks over the stones this time (thank god) we slowly made our way along fishing so many definite cod holding snags. It was getting towards the end of our time before we had to head back to camp to pack up and make the long drive home. I was starting to think I would have to wait till open season again for another crack at them when I was finally rewarded with a hook up and a quick run before he came into the net. Finally I had another tick off the list with my first Murray Cod. Seeing them in pictures doesn’t do these beautiful fish true justice. Seeing them in the flesh and marvelling at their intense colours has me hooked!!!
Thanks again Wayne for helping me “escape” and for a great 24 hrs!!!!
Looking forward to open season rolling around now!

Toni

Ocean Kayak Pro Staff

http://www.ocean-kayak.com.au

Offline Member

• Serial kayak seller and buyer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 114
  • Liked: 18
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Just scraped a last minute cod session in.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:51:18 PM »
Took you long enough to get the report up!

Happy that you got one in the end. Can't wait to go back....it's like bass season all over again!

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Just scraped a last minute cod session in.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
Looks like another one to line up for Cod Counselling for the next few months.
JD