Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: From the Fishers Mouth - 29 November  (Read 5332 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
From the Fishers Mouth - 29 November
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:26:27 AM »
From the Fishers Mouth 29th November 2010

With a few weeks remaining until Christmas, the task of acquiring presents for friends and family begins in earnest. Choosing the right present for someone can be a very difficult decision, made all the more complicated if that individual is a fisherman.

A fisherman can easily purchase for another fisherman by knowing what style of fishing the recipient prefers. Armed with this information and a budget, the gift giver can browse through a tackle store and come up with an appropriate gift that will be welcomed on Christmas morning. However, if you don’t fish, but still want to buy your fisherman a gift, the options can be daunting.

To make the choices easier, a few of my favourite gifts (to give and receive) are listed below:

•   Spinnerbaits: At around $15 each, a handful of spinnerbaits are always appreciated. They come in every colour of the rainbow, but if I had to choose, I like purple, dark green, or red mixed with black. Mudguts Spinnerbaits (mudgutsspinnerbaits.com.au) are my preferred brand (and are a Wagga based company).

•   Hard Body Lures: Wagga is the home of the hard body lure for freshwater fishing. We have AC Lures, Custom Crafted Lures, Legend Lures, Oar Gee Lures, Muldoon Lures, and other manufacturers. I favour the 70mm and 90mm AC Invader and also the Custom Crafted Extractor and Hammerhead Series of lures. Green/black and yellow/black combinations are my favourite colours. These lures also retail around the $15 price point.

•   Books: Reference materials are always an option as a Christmas gift. In your selection you should buy according to what style of fishing the recipient prefers. For example, cod fishermen probably won’t enjoy a book on English fly fishing, yet will appreciate a book on river access points or any book that shows how to catch cod. Fishing books are generally priced between $15 and $40.

•   Fishing Trips: Purchasing a gift voucher for a fishing tour is always appreciated. The recipient(s) gains a day of education, experience and knowledge from a professional fishing guide that will enable them to fish better in the future. Fishing Charters are a more expensive gift, but the cost can be reduced by combining resources so that the one voucher can accommodate multiple fishermen.

Fishing rods, reels and other tackle are tricky purchases to give as gifts. Most fisherman are choosy about what equipment they like to use, and given that there are so many options available, this is a decision best left to the individual. A gift voucher from a tackle shop will be warmly received as the angler can purchase exactly the equipment they want.

Picture: Glen Graham learnt to fish the Murrumbidgee with spinnerbaits using a Riverina Sport Fishing gift voucher