Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Finally a Cod trip 5 1

Author Topic: Finally a Cod trip  (Read 10045 times)

Offline Member

• Serial kayak seller and buyer
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 114
  • Liked: 18
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Finally a Cod trip
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:07:50 PM »
Bushwacker, SquareBear, Novice and myself headed out west Friday afternoon to camp over night and be ready for a long awaited cod session first thing this morning. A bit of a walk Friday night in the hope of a surface cod came up donuts for us all so it was off to bed. About 1:30am the sound of raindrops on the tent roof had me worried. Not as worried as when the drops started to drop inside my tent. Don't know what happened there but ended up spending the rest of the night in my car. Magically the rain stopped at 5am. Bit more of a sleep and everyone was up at 6am and we took our time getting ready and were on the water by 7am.

I'll just give my rundown of what I caught and the other guys can add theirs if they like. First up for me was a little yella up near the big cod's hole. Next up was a nice cod pulled from under a willow tree in fast flowing water, was also my first on the Emmrod. Next was my PB cod at 68cm  ;D this thing had a head fatter than Fishbrain's. Didn't put up much of a fight and was caught on my favourite black/gold spinnerbait.

Dave was having success on a Green Jeni that he had on so I decided to try and catch a cod on a hardbody (something I have struggled with in the past). So I tied on a Green lure with black stripes and it immediately produced result with another nice 65cm model. This one put up a great fight and had me struggling to handle it in the fast flowing water. Luckily Steve grabbed my kayak and pulled me up the rapids so I could get out and deal with it. That lure struck once again quickly after but unfortunately that cod did some damage and it ended up missing a treble so it was retired for the day.

I followed Dave's lead again and tied on a purple lure as he had had some success on it. He was up to about 6 fish by now. So on went one of StevenM's shrimp looking lures. It took a few casts but I eventually managed to get a cod on it. Got it in the net but then it gave a flick off the side of the yak and bounced out of the net and back to the depths. The lure had caught in the net and come out of the fish, bugger. Sorry Steve!

I made up for it not long after as that lure accounted for another 3 cod over the remainder of the day. My hardbody curse well and truly broken this trip. Hope it can continue!

Anyway there were lots of pics taken so I'll post up what's on my camera and the others can add theirs.

Mantra Kayak Pro-Staffer

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 6
  • Kayak fishing nut.
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Dumaresq River
Re: Finally a Cod trip
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:00:34 AM »
Sounds like a great trip. I'm not surprised given how long the river has been unfishable for.
Well done on the HB captures.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 04:57:48 AM »
Go the Saggii R's

Still have some unpainted from that sh!t wood.

Well done anyway lads.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 08:36:38 AM »
Sounds like a great trip mate, too bad about the leaky tent. The river looks like it has cleaned up a fair bit so I may get out there myself very soon. Also glad to see you got rid of the hardbody hoodoo. By the way that's an interesting rod, look like someones radio aerial. Does it work well?
Cheers,
John

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 09:29:42 AM »
By the way that's an interesting rod, look like someones radio aerial. Does it work well?
Cheers,
John

Works great and managed to get the 68cm on it. It's called an Emmrod and is perfect for this type of bush bashing. There is no hope of breaking it and it tucks away easily. Only downside is that it's casting ability is only about 15m but that's plenty for codding.

It also breaks in two with the wire coming out of the butt section so it will fit in your glove box for those sneaky sessions. This si the heaviest model and is called the PackRod Casting 4 coil and can handle fish up to 25lbs. I have thrown everything from a Feathercrank to Steve's Saggii (Which weighs about the same as a house brick!) on it.

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »
JD he forgot to mention by no means to these Emmrods float... He forgot to mention that little mishap

Ill add my share in a day or 2 when im home

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 12:46:40 PM »
Didn't think it would float, but at least in wouldn't break. In fact I don't recall seeing any rods that float,the water wings get in the way when you cast
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • Kayak Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 07:18:59 PM »
Yes the Emmrod went overboard in deep water after I brushed it against a snag as I was squeezing past. I jumped out of the yak and couldn't touch the bottom. Swam over to the snag and found it was bigger underwater than above and luckily the emmrod was laying about a metre below the surface on the tangle of branches below the water and I managed to get it back. Phew!!

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »
You did well to get it back Wayne. Don't suppose you came head to head with a big Cod on that snag?
John

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
Yes the Emmrod went overboard in deep water after I brushed it against a snag as I was squeezing past. I jumped out of the yak and couldn't touch the bottom. Swam over to the snag and found it was bigger underwater than above and luckily the emmrod was laying about a metre below the surface on the tangle of branches below the water and I managed to get it back. Phew!!

:Clap)

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 69
  • Liked: 29
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 11:06:13 PM »
Sounds like one of your Fishing Tales Dunkley if had a melon as big as mine it would be a lot bigger that ,you sure it wasn't one Dave caught for u 2 hold up .hehehe

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 108
  • -Receive: 102
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Wivenhoe Dam
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 09:16:29 AM »
Great trip. Thanks for the report. Will be looking for somewhere to go to catch my first cod in my holidays this coming May. I hope I can get your kind of success.
Great news on the rod recovery. My rod went overboard in 34 meters of water on Wivenhoe. That's the end of THAT story :(

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2013, 01:26:48 PM »
Here is some more photo's .. ignore the time and date stamps..

Dont qoute me but i am sure there was around 20 fish landed on saturday, Novice and Wayne D accounted for most of them.
Never seen so many shrimp out there but suppose its the first trip in warmer months for me.

Novices 3 strikes on surface with a fould up diver was a bit of a highlight aswell as another he caught but ill let him share that one, Also witnessed Squarebear land a quad spinnerbait in a nice cods open mouth.

The current was tricky at times you kinda had to have your stuff in a pile for lack of better words

Steve

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2013, 11:26:26 PM »
It was an awesome day of fishing, great to get out after all the bad weather. Final tally of fish caught was 19 Cod and 3 Golden Perch between the 4 of us. Here are a few pics.

Wayne and his 68

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
a few more..

The highlight for me was hooking my left ankle under a snag as an anchor, casting upstream to another snag but stuffing the cast, retrieving the lure quickly in disgust and as it came past the snag my ankle was hooked under , a cod violently came up from underneath me to smash the lure off the surface. It made my day :)

cheers,
Dave.