Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: State dams stocked to the brim  (Read 8671 times)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
State dams stocked to the brim
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:10:44 PM »
 State dams stocked to the brim - Qld Fisheries Dept - Catch publication

Anglers will be able to reap the benefits of an excellent fishing season, with more than $720,000 worth of fingerlings soon to be stocked in Queensland dams.

With over $90,000 more funding for fingerlings than last year, this is the best year we have ever had.

This funding, coupled with the fact that most dams are currently at high capacity, means there will be more fish to catch than ever before.

Fishers can catch big barramundi or sooty grunter in North Queensland, or a world-record size barra in central and southern Queensland.

The southeast dams are home to some of the best Australian bass fishing in the country, and Murray cod fishing is outstanding in SIPS dams that are fed from the Murray Darling basin.

Fishing at a SIPS dam means you will be helping to sustain native fish stocks, with 75 per cent of the funds from your permit going back into restocking the dams.

Sale of permits from the 2011-2012 financial year brought in $723,000 for fish stocking and was divided between all 32 dams on the scheme, based on angler preference and surface area.

View the full breakdown of the 2011-2012 financial summary on the Fisheries Queensland website

Permits to fish at any of the 32 dams on the scheme can be purchased online or by calling 13 25 23.

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: State dams stocked to the brim
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:36:45 PM »
lying bastards.......

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 06:16:25 AM »
lying bastards.......

Where is the lie?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
To my mind it is more lie by omission.
 No mention of withdrawal of funding to non SIP dams but to give some credit I see that they are going to fund 18 kids fishing days.
 Do not know how this compares with other years.
Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »
Since the reshuffle at Fisheries, all Binder seems to have is insulting comments for them.  I don't see any lies in that release.  If you want to go to lies by ommission, then have a shot at every person who doesn't put up a fishing report because they didn't catch fish.  I know a lot of people in Fisheries, and I don't know any that are "bloody liars" and painting them all with a wide brush really won't help matters.  I hope there does not come a time when Binder or the groups he belongs to need a favour from these "bloody liars". 

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
 :OffTopic)

Until something is done to re-ignite the RFEP in Qld, the whole re-stocking program of rivers and weirs is going to rely on escapee fish from SIP lakes, or like we did in the old days, chook raffles, art unions and fishing comps.

Some smart person may be able to read thru other legislation & discover that in the absence of community restocking happening, there may be a requirement for the weir /dam owner to restock..... not to mention water quality issues eg blue green algae & noxious fish. Given some time, watch the blue green algae blooms come back with an imbalanced eco-system in regulated rivers/creeks as middle and apex predators die off or get caught by anglers.

I also wonder if there's any money in the Noxious/Pest Fish Control or Bio Security coffers for restocking to control introduced pests??

Anyone keen to do some light reading? Recon this is where the likes of Sunfish & FFSAQ should be working...

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 8
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Central Qld
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 01:52:52 PM »
:OffTopic)

Until something is done to re-ignite the RFEP in Qld, the whole re-stocking program of rivers and weirs is going to rely on escapee fish from SIP lakes, or like we did in the old days, chook raffles, art unions and fishing comps.

Some smart person may be able to read thru other legislation & discover that in the absence of community restocking happening, there may be a requirement for the weir /dam owner to restock..... not to mention water quality issues eg blue green algae & noxious fish. Given some time, watch the blue green algae blooms come back with an imbalanced eco-system in regulated rivers/creeks as middle and apex predators die off or get caught by anglers.

I also wonder if there's any money in the Noxious/Pest Fish Control or Bio Security coffers for restocking to control introduced pests??

Anyone keen to do some light reading? Recon this is where the likes of Sunfish & FFSAQ should be working...

I think only new dams will have to either provide fish passage and/or offset...

And Pest Fish budget has been decimated (from what was a very small base anyway!!) and certainly no monies for restocking for pest control.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
Since the reshuffle at Fisheries, all Binder seems to have is insulting comments for them.  I don't see any lies in that release.  If you want to go to lies by ommission, then have a shot at every person who doesn't put up a fishing report because they didn't catch fish.  I know a lot of people in Fisheries, and I don't know any that are "bloody liars" and painting them all with a wide brush really won't help matters.  I hope there does not come a time when Binder or the groups he belongs to need a favour from these "bloody liars".

Its straight up a lie. They cut $160k funding when they killed the Rec funding scheme, only $90k more SIP money, therefor $70K less money for fish stocking this year.

Therefore they are lying bastards as I said.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »
I would think that even your mates in Fisheries will admit that this is nothing more than spin rehashing info most of which is already in the public domain.
Obviously the minister or his minions have given instructions to post some positive spin to try and stop people talking about the cut backs and this is all they can come up with.
 It is an old scheme initiated by previous governments and so far I have not seen one new initiative introduced by the current government.
 The world is in a poor state of affairs if everyone is not game to criticize for fear of retribution.
I also take exception to your reference about lies by omission .
 Although I do not post fishing reports on this forum I go freshwater fishing on average 3 times a week and post a report elsewhere every time I go fishing no matter what the result.
Where are all your reports? or do you not fish?
 Cheers
Ray

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 04:05:42 PM »
Dale, those whom may have been able to do me or the groups I'm a member of, favours, are all gone. Just like their honesty.