Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: RIS on proposed changes to SIP Scheme.  (Read 14297 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 604
  • -Receive: 413
  • Liked: 28
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: north pine dam
RIS on proposed changes to SIP Scheme.
« on: December 06, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »

fishing ethics are the things that we do when we are unobserved by others!!

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: RIS on proposed changes to SIP Scheme.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »
I fully support the inclusion of stocked "impoundments" be they dams or weirs. I would however question the inclusion of Beehive Dam, Greenup Weir, Sunny Girl Weir, and Mt Crosby Weir. To the best of my knowledge none of these have public access to any part of the impounded waters. I'm happy to be corrected if someone knows there is in fact public access to those locations mentioned above.
Then again, if there's little or no access to a location, that location will receive little or no angler preferences.

I would encourage everyone with a thought on this to respond to DAFF.

HERE IS WHERE YOU CAN SUBMIT YOUR FEEDBACK https://www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/gi/consultation/2211/view.html

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 07:44:56 PM »
With Mount Crosby that would fall to BVA wouldn't it not and they can then stock anywhere between that and Big W wall?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
I notice that FFSAQ want to get their sticky fingers on $50,000 of the SIP funds.  A disgusting and greedy grab for cash by a biased and superfluous body.

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:58:49 PM »
I notice that FFSAQ want to get their sticky fingers on $50,000 of the SIP funds.  A disgusting and greedy grab for cash by a biased and superfluous body.

If there is a fish stocking group in all areas, what purpose do they serve?

I  agree with the proposal, the addition of the other fishing impoundments will be tremendous for groups that are not currently funded by the SIP. In the future I will be able to tick Wyaralong Dam to  get my dollars, happy days, :youbeauty

I also like the addition that all people over 18 need to have a license, in a way it stops the likes of those people who take the missus along just so they can keep more fish. If they intend to do this they should have to pay for the extra catch.

The rise in fees every 5 years is good too.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 244
  • -Receive: 694
  • Liked: 129
  • Unicorn Hunter
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 12:24:08 AM »
This whole motion in regards to the smaller impoundments and rivers is a direct result of the current state Liberal National Party's removal of the RFEP grant that was the mainstay of funding for the stocking groups which stocked the smaller impoundments and rivers.

Would we be having this discussion if the Newman state government had not removed the grant? That $5500 which all the stocking groups used to apply for kept most of the small groups happy. Since it's been gone, it's become almost a mad scramble to get on the SIP.

This 'problem' is all of the state governments making.

Offline Member

• Slider
  • Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 248
  • -Receive: 159
  • Liked: 15
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: South East Qld
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 06:10:53 AM »
$5500 come on mate, imagine the Wivy Group on $5500 without the SIP...new Dams should mean automatic inclusion to the SIP scheme.

So you are suggesting LAFMA and other similar groups, could survive on that plus proceeds of raffles and the like.

I think this whole proposal is the most positive news I've heard in years.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 105
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 06:56:32 AM »
With Mount Crosby that would fall to BVA wouldn't it not and they can then stock anywhere between that and Big W wall?

Steven, BVA did have stocking responsibility for the river above Mt Crosby, back when I was with them. Not sure if anything has changed as such. While the waters below Kholo bridge are closed, there are numerous access points above there for the public.

Brad

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 06:58:58 AM »
The negatives that I see are, as Fitz has posted, waters with no public access getting SIP monies so that closed groups can fish them; honestly, I've tried to find Connolly Dam near Warwick and it's almost impossible to find yet it's on the SIP.  Why would Mt Crosby Weir be included?  Isn't it a no fishing or access zone up to Kholo Bridge?  Isn't it already stocked via the BVA and even moreso by the flooding events of the last few years? 
FFSAQ want $50,000 of SIP funds which would mean 200,000 less fish stocked, just so they can pay someone to write their emails and post their letters.  All the Stocking groups are volunteer groups, some choose to pay a fee to FFSAQ to be a supporter, SWFSA Inc choose not to, for many reasons, the main one being the fact that unpaid volunteers have to raise funds to pay to a body to pay a wage for a person to do what should be volunteer work.  The fact that they are trying to get their hands on that money reeks of an inside deal with someone in Fisheries.  Everyone who pays for a SIP should fight the theft of those fingerlings.  1666 SIPs will have to be sold to hand this money over to this group.  $50,000 is more than most VOLUNTEER Stocking Groups receive to buy fingerlings, and those VOUNTEER groups must account for every cent of their money, will FFSAQ have to do the same? 
If the $50,000 comes out of 25% of Administration funds, it will mean that DAFF loose funding for the control of the scheme, or maybe even enforcement of the rules, it makes no sense to give this large amount of money over to a small group.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Borumba dam
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:46 AM »
" The fact that they are trying to get their hands on that money reeks of an inside deal with someone in Fisheries. "

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?topic=7358.0

So if it's an inside deal, why is it included in the RIS....I'll tell you why, so that people can have their say about the issue...if it was an "inside" deal we wouldn't have bothered asking the question...There is no commitment to allocate the funds unless it is fully supported by stakeholders.

As for Connolly Dam, there is a big sign on the highway out of Warwick (heading towards Stanthorpe) that takes you there.....

Please don't make statements that are not supported by fact, it's hard enough to deal with real issues without having to fight imaginary battles.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
Sorry Tony, I followed the sign from the Highway and couldn't find another one anywhere to direct me to the lake. 
As for FFSAQ, would the money they want come from the 75% of funds that Stocking Groups have to account for or the 25% of funds that DAFF have to account for?  Have they advised "Government" what they need the funds for, and how they would spend the funds?  Isn't $50,000 more than most Volunteer Stocking Groups receive from the SIP Scheme?  Do FFSAQ actually stock any areas?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 09:33:43 AM »
Tony, with regard the RIS, as President of SWFSA the first I knew of this was when Ray posted it here.  I suppose our Secretary has received notification.  With the short amount of time between this announcement and closure of input, you will get a very limited response from most groups.  SWFSA do not have a December meeting, similar to a lot of other groups.  We will not have the opportunity to assemble the executive and make a considered response to this RIS, and yet we are the largest recipient of funds from the SIP, and likely to be the most affected.  Do you consider the amount of time given, considering it is over the Christmas period, is sufficient to receive meaningful input from the Volunteer Stocking Groups currently on the SIP Scheme?

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
Steven, BVA did have stocking responsibility for the river above Mt Crosby, back when I was with them. Not sure if anything has changed as such. While the waters below Kholo bridge are closed, there are numerous access points above there for the public.

Brad

Yep, BVA stock the Mt Crosby Weir,  Mid Brisbane R. The river isn't an impoundment, the weir is.

Mt Crosby weir backs up to almost Kholo Bridge. All access from Kholo Bridge to Mt Crosby Weir is restricted.

To include the waters above the impounded waters opens a can of worms. Imagine including the rivers upstream of impoundments eg Burdekin Dam or Lake Maraboon? May as well run with a full state licence and be done with it.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 09:48:17 AM »
A small problem that I have encountered is that I have completed the RIS as myself, with my personal views, however it will now not let me go back and complete the RIS as President of SWFSA on behalf of SWFSA.  (And yes I can separate my views from the views of the group.)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
I strongly believe that the simple solution to funding shortfall is to include cray fishing as requiring a SIP AND require all people to have their own SIP, no more sliding in upder the "de-facto / partner" radar.
That would see a significant increase in income and more than cover the shortfall from the vacuum left by the RFEP. Will be more than enough to go around.

Received a letter from state member around this saying that crayfish aren't restocked. Well they have been at Tinaroo and I believe there is an application for another stocking of redclaw there. Who is to say crayfish cant be restocked going forward should the need arise?
 AND, spangled perch, tandans, forkies (nor to mention pest fish) etc aren't restocked, but a SIP is required to fish for them in participating impoundments. Flawed reasoning IMHO
Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.