Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Mulwala Cod Classic report  (Read 7545 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Lake Mulwala Cod Classic report
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:37:52 PM »
Just landed back home from going to the Lake Mulwala Cod Classic.

Was some attrocious rain on the day before the comp, part of the rain band that has seen roads cut in Vic & NSW.

The lake shows as being 93% full but it looked full & there was some big flows coming in from upstream from the Ovens River & some good water being released from the Yarrawonga Weir into the Murray.

I was fortunate to get invited to jump in with Neil Slater for a fish which I took the offer up for a morning session. Neil had one one 4th cast of the morning on a Garra Lure but dropped it before the boat. I'd borrowed a rod n reel & a box of lures from the Barefoot Fisherman Dave Hodge. Was pretty impressed with the combo, a Quantum I think. I scored a big hit on a spinnerbait but no hookup unfortunately,,,,,,,

then distaster . . . . . . .

While backing up between snags the motorguide electric hit a stump & snapped the mounting bracket clean off. Since the fish were a bit slow we took off to the ramp to go looking for an engineering mob in town. Unfortunately we couldn't find one open to weld the bracket.
So I opted to go see what sort of motor I could sort out in town & let Neil get back to the fishing with his other mates.

Thanks to some help from Tony & Vanessa Bennett from Mulwala Fish Camp & Ski, I managed to score him another electric motor in town & drove it around the lake to Keffins Reserve (spelling??) close to where they were fishing. On the bank I could spot Neil's boat, KNOAF. Zooming in with the camera I could see some action on board, a phone call confirmed that Neil was onto a cod & I was informed they'd just caught another before that.
Replacement motor on KNOAF & they boys were happier than a dog with 2 bones.

I drove back around the lake & dropped into a couple of the other marshalls stations around the lake. I saw a couple of 70+ cm cod measured & released, it looked like the cod were coming on the chew for the arvo session.

At the comp site, the rain of previous days had turned the footy oval a big boggy, but everyone took it in their stride & either sucked it up or just went bare footed; this gave the mossies plenty of skin to bite.

An awesome feed was put on by the organisers (I could only eat half of mine on the night), all meals were the same; you didn't go hungry.

Sunday saw much better weather so the competitors were back out in force, so were the lake lice.

More coming......

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Lake Mulwala Cod Classic report
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »
here's some more!
great weekend with great company. Had a ball, but not too many fish boated. The water was fairly cloudy, but not terrible. Anglers fishing the river found it hard at Bundalong with 6 knot currents and very dirty water while down stream below the weir, although the current was up there, the water was a little clearer and a fair few golden perch were measured in.
Largest Murray cod for the weekend went to A. Steven that went 108cm and I think the longest GP was about 57 or 60cm.

When I busted the electric, it was like a scene from Bill Dance's videos (google tube it) - The electric was still on and not attached to the boat any more. As it bucked in and out of the water like a wild steer at a rodeo, I could do no more than increase the throttle making it worse! I ended up having to grab it around the shank like grabbing a cranky goose by the neck and haul it aboad which should have made for some amusing viewing from a distance.

Saturday's fishing was tough because Fitz made me stay up late and sip fizzy stuff which made getting up at 5am feel like I'd just shut my eyes. Spending the rest of the day on a mirror calm day in boat on a 34C day made me very thirsty!

Sunday night we headed for some shallow areas to try a few surface lures. We got into position and saw a few boofs but could not get them to bite. Thankfully, we had enough bites from mozzies to keep us entertained.

Monday, the Ballarat lads and I fished under the weir. Whitey had a fair bit of line stripped while drifting and jigging a spinnerbait and I caught a 43cm GP jigging a bibbless rattling lure in an eddy in about 3m of water which was nice.

splattered plenty of locusts on the car on the way home too.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 01:59:54 PM »
Fitz has a habit of keeping people up late.  Would love to see a video of you roping in your Electric mate.  That'd be classic.  I'm surprised at the number of fish caught.  Most of the locals down there won't bother fishing until the rivers drop and the waters clear.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 02:39:26 PM »
Seriously, it was just like this....  ;D

Small | Large

Slates did a great job to hang onto it....  :youbeauty

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 74
  • Liked: 12
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 06:10:45 PM »
that's the video I was thinking of! ;D

when it fell, off, it caused me to wind on the throttle further! I had to grasb it around the neck like an emu

classic!

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 07:37:40 AM »
Good report Fitzy and Slates, a great mix of fishing and an even better comedy routine. You gotta stop watching those blooper things Slates.
JD