Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Bremer River  (Read 6783 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 30
  • Liked: 5
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Bremer River
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:43:17 AM »
With work needing to be done it had been a few weeks since I had fished the Bremer so I decided to do a Saturday morning fish. I packed the ute Friday night with the thought I would get up early but when I woke up I decided to have an extra 15 minutes which turned out to be an hour. With the early start gone I had a cuppa with the wife before she went to work and then headed off for that long 5 minute trip to the river.

Once on the water decided to head up stream and started casting to places I had picked up bass before and after 30 minutes was starting to worry they had moved on. I was not too concerned as I had plenty of time to explore and apart from the odd train, the place was pretty quiet as I drifted along casting to anywhere I thought a bass might live. Then I realised I had fished the river mostly in afternoons so decided to cast to the other bank where it was a bit shallower but still had shade on it. So I cast my lure into a nice little dark pocket and sure enough I was on, he put up a great fight and I soon had my first bass for the morning in the net. At 34cm he wasn’t big but he certainly pulled me around a bit and woke me up.  Now I had caught my first one and thought I had worked out where they were I started casting with a bit more effort. After another half an hour I started to think he was just unlucky so I decided to change my black lure to a green one and head back.

I started casting to any dark pockets where there was some sort of structure and if I got the lure right in the spot first try (need more practice) I was rewarded with a bass. Four of the five bass I caught over the next hour played nice by hitting the lure out from the snag which even though they put up a fight did help me. My fourth bass and biggest for the day at 42cm (fork) was a little bit different. There was a nice tree laying in the water with plenty of shade so I cast my lure right to the back and before I got to even click the bail arm the lure was smashed while it sat there. Needless to say it took a few seconds for the shock to register then some frantic rod work and a very unlucky bass as he had dragged me into the snag as well. I finally got her into the net and my heart was still pounding. That is what makes kayaks/canoes so much fun as you are fighting a fish, the kayak being pulled around and you have to work that much harder. Thank you to all the people involved in stocking and looking after our rivers as you have certainly given us and our kids (fingers crossed) great places to fish.

On the way back I met another kayaker and we started to talk when a third kayaker turned up so we sat there talking for about thirty minutes about fishing, kayaking, etc. What a fantastic way to spend a few hours, a quite paddle, bass and meeting new people. Plus all my bass were caught on my home made lures which just adds to it. My black one is starting look a bit roughed up but the green one caught four today.

Hobie Outback
Old Town Vapor 10 Angler

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 339
  • -Receive: 135
  • Liked: 7
  • View Gallery
Re: Bremer River
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
Good report Gav!

:youbeauty

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 03:29:54 PM »
Thanks for the report Gav. That's a good session mate, thanks for sharing.  :youbeauty

What does the water look like at the moment?

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 30
  • Liked: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 04:02:48 PM »
Thanks for the report Gav. That's a good session mate, thanks for sharing.  :youbeauty

What does the water look like at the moment?

It is a bit brown milky looking but the river apears reasonbly clean if that makes sense. A couple of the bass had some red sores on them but looked ok.

Cheers

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 26
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Brisbane River
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
I never considered the bremer river before, but after reading this and doing some research i realise that I only live around the corner in sadliers crossing for the launch point! I can literally roll down the hill and be there!  :o Who would have known? Cheers for the report! I'm inspired to give it a go now!   :youbeauty