Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Rating: ****
Views: 37
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Sponsorship extremes.  (Read 21612 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Sponsorship extremes.
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 07:54:03 PM »
Wow, how long has Harry been designing Jackalls?

I was talking to Paul recently about the Exmouth episode.  It wasn't his idea, and the action was dictated by the sponsor.  It did achieve the aim of having the sponsor's product talked about though.  He is with Suzuki this year.  I did find that he's a pretty down to earth bloke with a refreshing sense of humour and I look forward to fishing with him in the future.  He's a guy I'd gladly share a boat with. 

Without sponsorship we wouldn't have fishing shows on TV so I guess informed viewers can just ignore the ads and enjoy the action.

He has the Hank tuned range of Squirrels & Squad minnows ( designed for barra)  ....... but that wasn't the point
Harry is not only the face of Jackall in Australia but the sole distributor - 

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
Thats exactly right.This morning I watched the ET episode in PNG with your mate Basser.Its was great I must say.Good fish caught and had me dreaming of an exotic,untouched,wild location and I loved every bit of it.It did for me what the articles in mags 30 years ago about the Territory and Kimberly did for me back then.They made me dream.
ET probably has more cr@p to shove down everybody's throat than any other fishing program that we see in Australia but I still enjoyed it.
In the end its more about the personalities on the screen and the truth is even if I dont like them I will watch it anyway.With the exception of Fishing WA.(If I see another spanish mac caught the plasma is going to have a remote thrown at it!!)
With regards to Rex....Nothing bad can be said about him.He brought fishing to mainstream TV in the 80s.He preached catch and release well before it was fashionable and he made the kids that fished like me dream about exotic locations.
I can put up with hearing about the Rex Hunt combos for that.

Toddy

rex was easy to ignore  -   the brand placement  was fairly limited ........ even the first couple of series of I Fish were limited to the tacklerat segment  -   but now the likes of I fish & ET would devote 30-40% of the show to adds & infomercials ......... its just over the top.

Chris

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 08:06:26 PM »

Harry is not only the face of Jackall in Australia but the sole distributor - 

Chris

Are you sure about that?

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 3
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2011, 08:39:41 PM »
rex was easy to ignore  -   the brand placement  was fairly limited ........ even the first couple of series of I Fish were limited to the tacklerat segment  -   but now the likes of I fish & ET would devote 30-40% of the show to adds & infomercials ......... its just over the top.

Chris

I'm having the last word. ;D

Toddy

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
ET got a pretty good Spot Tail on his trip, but that was nearly 4 years ago.  I think iFish will be there within the next 12 months, and Robson Green has been.  I understand what you're saying Toddy.  Its all about the dreams.  I watched Harro's videos when I was younger, and read everything he wrote.  I used to think he was immortal.  He lived the life I wanted to live.  Filming for TV is pretty tedious, and expensive.  We took a day to film a 7 or 8 minute segment for Creek to Coast once, without landing a fish.

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 10:37:55 AM »
Rob Whathisnamus was in town about a month ago, wondered what he was up to.  Last night the episode was shown.  He sat on the mouth of Bindoola Creek and The Pentecost River for a couple of days trying to catch a saw shark.  For those who are not aware, it's illegal to target them being an endangered species.  He does mention that up front and points out the segment was about release techniques if anglers come across one.  As his guide is a TO and therefore able to catch them as a food source he slips by on a technicality. 

He ends up with a croc he caught using a tuna head as bait (how a saw shark was going to swallow that has got me stuffed ::)) a threadfin, cattie and finally a saw shark reeled in by the guide and then chucked back in because it was not the right time of year for them. 

Go figure that ??? ??? ??? 

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 6
  • View Gallery
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
Are you sure about that?

"Harry is the Australian Distributor for “Jackall Brothers”, and his ZX190 Skeeter, wrapped in Lowrance and Jackalls, certainly stands out in the crowd."

According to the Skeeter website he is Fitzy,
Paulo

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2011, 08:29:07 PM »
Last Jackall I bought locally was ages ago, a "Hank tuned" Squirrel, changed the hooks though, sank like a stone.
Swapped some aquarium fish for some Chubby's at my local tackle shop 6 months ago.
Find the internet to be be the most cost effective distributor of Jackalls myself.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
Harry showed me some of his Barra lures at the Tackle Show last year.  He was keen on trying some in PNG.  They didn't seem to have the hooks to handle a Barra, let alone a Black Bass.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2011, 10:01:40 PM »
Harry showed me some of his Barra lures at the Tackle Show last year.  He was keen on trying some in PNG.  They didn't seem to have the hooks to handle a Barra, let alone a Black Bass.

As far as I know - Harry is it in OZ

As for the Hank tuned range

They look like Owner ST56s to me  .......  so capable unless you get a top and bottom jaw hook up   :)
Hang on Dale ..... Are you not the guy that fishes with fine gauge hooks fitted to highly tuned Japanese lures  for Awoonga barra  :Oops)    -   
   Chris

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
Not Jackalls Chris, I've never used them for Barra.  The Doozers I use in PNG now have VMC's on them.  I've not seen a Jackall yet that could handle a Barra out of the box, but maybe they've changed since this time last year.  Most hooks on the TN's are less than suitable for Bass. 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 10:54:06 PM »
Yep "Hank Tuned" Squirrel 79 SP came with Owner ST 56 trebles, size 2 on front and 4 on rear, like I said sank like a stone, killed the action IMO
Used to use TN 60 and 70 and Doozers for Jacks, Jew, Snapper and other rustwater beasties with 40/ 50 lb rings and the biggest ST 66TN they would carry, never had one come apart surprisingly strong lures. Gets expensive though  :(

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 11:02:47 PM »
The only origional idea harry ever had was that hair cut and snoger nose in one nonchalont package.

He has just taken sponsors for a ride for ages and is not the soul distributor of jackals in aus, I reckon you would have to be nuts to spend what they are asking for them anyway but thats another arguement.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »
Just watched an IFish where Paul was after Snapper in Arno Bay. Apparently someone had called him a tool, so he went to the nearest hardware store and bought an 8mm ring spanner, got some big split rings and a couple spanner hooks and proceded to catch 3 BIG Snapper. THAT'S how you answer your critics.
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 05:26:20 PM »
Not Jackalls Chris, I've never used them for Barra.  The Doozers I use in PNG now have VMC's on them.  I've not seen a Jackall yet that could handle a Barra out of the box, but maybe they've changed since this time last year.  Most hooks on the TN's are less than suitable for Bass.

no ... not Jackalls but some other Japanese lure with fine wire hooks .
The Hank tuned ones work .. as do do the trans-ams  ( though I still prefer to change them to the Decoy WY(YW)s -  the wide gape ones

but back on topic ........... sponsorship overkill   -  too much IMO   ...... watch it ,read it  ( its everywhere) 

Chris

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events