Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Mary River Cod stocked in Lake Manchester  (Read 16767 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 180
  • -Receive: 470
  • Liked: 8
  • All Waters Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: The Brisbane River

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
Re: Mary River Cod stocked in Lake Manchester
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »
Good on BCC for supplying the funding.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
From QT

Andrew Korner | 8th Jan 2015

AN ENORMOUS lake on Ipswich's doorstep that was once off limits to all aquatic activity could soon become a fishing Mecca.

A review of recreational activities across south-east Queensland's dams has resulted in a decision to stock Lake Manchester with more than 1000 Mary River cod.

Although small, the fingerlings that will be set free in the dam this Saturday will be capable of growing over 1m in length.

The endangered native species is a prize among fresh water anglers, and the Brisbane Valley Anglers Fishstocking Association hopes to see them thrive in their new surroundings.

BVAFA treasurer Charlie Ladd said there was no way of knowing exactly how well the little swimmers would fare at Lake Manchester.

"There is no way to monitor survival except to regularly fish the area," Mr Ladd said.

"We conducted a survey with Seqwater in November last year and found a lot of bony bream, eels and turtles.

"There were some big fish coming up on the sounder, but we don't know exactly what they were. We have heard stories of people putting fish in there over the years.

"Before we stocked the dam, we wanted to make sure it wasn't crawling with tilapia and carp."

Once prevalent in the Brisbane River, Mary River Cod have been re-established in the river system above Mt Crosby Weir as a result of stocking by BVAFA over the last 20 years.

Australian Bass have also been stocked in the river during this time at an average of 10000 fingerlings per year, making this section of the river a productive recreational fishery.

BVAFA's long-term plan is for Lake Manchester to be added to the Stocked Impoundment Permit scheme to secure a more permanent funding source to continue annual stocking of both lakes.

"Our plan is to turn Lake Manchester into an excellent fresh water fishery," Mr Ladd said.

"We will be putting Australian Bass into Lake Manchester next year."

BVAFA members will tag and release any fish that they catch, in an effort to monitor survival rates among fingerlings.

Mr Ladd said larger Mary River Cod survived on a diet of smaller fish like the pest Tilapia, with some know to hunt bird life, including water hens and ducks.

Fishermen usually use lures to catch the species.

The Mary River Cod is a no take species, unless caught in a stocked impoundment, where a bag limit of one applies and the minimum size is 50cm.

Members of BVAFA will release the cod into Lake Manchester at 11.30am this Saturday.

The release was funded by a grant from the Brisbane City Council Lord Mayor's Suburban Initiative Fund and supported by local area Councillor Margaret de Wit.

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register:o

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 04:52:15 AM »
Why is it illegal, its not part of their natural range? - I thought it was only illegal to target them in the Mary river system.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 07:24:03 AM »
https://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/species-identification/freshwater-fish/mary-river-cod

•minimum size - 50 cm from listed stocked impoundments.
•bag limit - 1 from listed stocked impoundments below.
•NO TAKE SPECIES IN ALL OTHER WATERS. If accidentally caught, these species should immediately and carefully be returned to the water.

Stocked impoundments where Mary River cod can be taken;  Upstream of the walls of Cressbrook, Hinze, Maroon, Moogerah, North Pine, Somerset and Wivenhoe Dams and lakes Dyer (Bill Gunn dam) and Clarendon.

There are a few changes to these rules coming up, where there will be a closed season in the Stocked Impoundments during the breeding season.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 477
  • -Receive: 73
  • Liked: 13
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: lake wivenhoe
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 08:54:00 AM »
I will just practice catch and release here when its open to fishing.
Cheers joseph6

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
Why is it illegal, its not part of their natural range? - I thought it was only illegal to target them in the Mary river system.
Cant target MRCs in any river below any dam that they're stocked in and the entire Mary River system anywhere.

That includes the whole of the Caboolture river, mid & lower Brisbane River, the entire of the Bremer (except in Moogerah Dam), the entire Albert (except Maroon Dam), Logan, South Pine and Coomera rivers, the Nerang River below Hinze Dam and the North Pine below Lake Samsonvale.

Basically we can't target MRCs anywhere at any time all with the few exceptions AB listed above.

I'd like to see the rivers above lakes be non-target waters as well, eg upper Brisbane River upstream of O'Sheas Crossing, the Stanley River upstream of Villenueve Bridge and the North Pine River upstream of Apex Park.

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 01:09:01 PM »
 8)
I will just practice catch and release here whennitsopen to fishing.
Cheers joseph

Technically, if you go to Lake Manchester with the intention of catching and releasing Mary River Cod, you're breaking the law.

Oh, and its open to fishing now. Good luck with the eels....  :-X

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:40:59 PM »
Is there any other fish we can target like perch?  I wouldn't want to target mrc if its illegal . maybe there will be more bass there in future.
Cheers joseph

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 01:48:14 PM »
I seen what happened last time people put post up about catching mrc in rivers . everyone got up them . I even commented on their page . what it says in fishery's web site.  If its not leagal to fish for cod in lake manchester . i would not use big lures or target them in specific. Sorry I didn't know till u siad its illegal in Manchester. Now I do.
Cheers joseph

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:17:10 PM »
Don't worry too much Joseph, it'll be a few years before they're worth targeting in Manchester.  DAFF have basically said that they will look at the laws when a dam is put on the SIP Scheme, and there is a viable fishery.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 497
  • -Receive: 405
  • Liked: 22
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »

DAFF have basically said that they will look at the laws when a dam is put on the SIP Scheme, and there is a viable fishery.

Above is the lead into it all.

Its all chicken and egg stuff. However the rules will change and their will be amendments to these to allow the practice.

Could also change the rules to say say that you can legally target MRC in Tinnaroo. or Teressa CreeK Dam. Non in there but that is my chicken and egg statement

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 02:56:26 PM »

I'd like to see the rivers above lakes be non-target waters as well, eg upper Brisbane River upstream of O'Sheas Crossing, the Stanley River upstream of Villenueve Bridge and the North Pine River upstream of Apex Park.

Agreed

thankfully we now have a no target and no take in both dams and rivers in Qld from Feb 1. A bit more lobbying and we can hopefully get these changes placed into the system.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 03:03:34 PM »
The Mary River cod is listed as an endangered species under the Commonwealth Government Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). Currently a closed season is in place to protect the species during its spawning season. An exception to this is closure is currently provided in nine listed impoundments where the species has been stocked.

It has recently been discovered however that Mary River cod are breeding in the waters within and upstream of these impoundments. In order to provide increased protection to individuals breeding in these areas, a three month spawning closure from 1 September to 30 November each year has been introduced for all non-tidal waters, including those impoundments that are stocked. Taking Mary River cod in all other waters will still be prohibited at all times.

It is also evident that fishing for other species results in incidental capture of Mary River cod at some locations, putting them and their ability to breed at risk. For this reason there is currently a permanent line fishing closure in place on Obi Obi Creek. There is now evidence of new breeding sites downstream of the existing closure boundary. To enhance the recovery of this endangered species it is proposed to extend the existing line fishing closure on Obi Obi Creek downstream for an additional 5 kilometres to Crossing 4 Bridge.

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?topic=7362.0

It's not a full "No take No target" SteveM, it's only a 3 month closure.  If it was a full "No Take, No Target" we'd be wasting SIP, and Rec Fishing funds to stock them.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • Show me the Unicorn
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 06:10:41 PM »
 :NoSpam)
It's not a full "No take No target" SteveM, it's only a 3 month closure.  If it was a full "No Take, No Target" we'd be wasting SIP, and Rec Fishing funds to stock them.

Yeah sorry, forgot to mention dates, my brain thinking everyone knowing what I'm on about. Once again it's a start. Let them reproduce people. Go chase some flathead or something