Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Poll

Are Fishing Licences a Good or Bad idea?

Yes - definately a good idea
The idea has potential
I don't really like
No - absolutely not good
Other - I will post a reply

Author Topic: Are Fishing Licences a Good or Bad idea?  (Read 21966 times)

Offline Member

• Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 369
  • Liked: 70
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
« on: December 22, 2010, 11:46:28 PM »
With recent discussions of the Pros and Cons of Fishing Licences we've put a poll up for you to have your say.

You will need to vote to be able to see the results.

Feel free to post a reply to this topic with your own thoughts.

Sweetwater Fishing Home http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
Re: Are Fishing Licences a Good of Bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 11:58:07 PM »
A well manged licence scheme with funds going into a trust .... works 

NSW are into around its 10th year and a hell of a lot of good has come out of it.

The SIP scheme up here has been a resounding success too

Queenslanders just need reassurance that it is not a cash grab and will be managed by the the right people 

Chris

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Sandy Straights
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 05:58:41 AM »
Agree with Chris, with the most critical proviso being that a varst majority of the funds go towards such things as targeted commercial licences buyout, artifical reefs, habitat rehabiltation, possibly restocking.  There also needs to be geniune and equitable dispersal of benefits across the state - not just the SE QLD. A small % will need to used for the administration, but this needs to be auditable, so a trust (financial) system would cover that.

Unfortunately, most of the anglers that live here in QLD have become increasingly distrustful of the current government motives and ability to appropriately charge, manage or target funds.

Steve

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 09:31:19 AM »
I feel we should follow NSW.  If the system has worked there for 10 years then it has proven itself.  As for the management of the funds we should have a change at the top before long.

Surely it would be setup with some public (interested parties) being consulted.

Gordon   

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »
I believe that a lot of good could come out of a well managed licence system, however the current managers of this great state have demonstrated a severe lack of management skills :thumbdown
The majority of people are allready struggling with ever increasing taxes & utility bills.
A fishing licence introduced at the moment would be seen as just another money grab from a govenment that has lost the plot.

As has been said before the rec angling population requires a strong unified voice conversing with a govenment that the people can believe in. The other option could be a national licence system so you are not impacted when traveling between states, however a change of govenment  is required at a federal level for the same reasons, at the moment they would be hard pressed to organise a sh!t fight at a sewerage farm.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 10:04:36 AM »
The Queensland Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme is the envy of the world as far as providing a recreational fishery on a user pays system.  I would hate to see it amalgamated into a general, state wide fishing license.  Volunteer stocking groups would close down, because it would be too hard to raise funds for small groups to continue stocking.  We already pay taxes to support the infrastructure of running our Country and our States, this includes law enforcement.  Current and past governments, both state and federal have squandered vast amounts of money without regard to the long term benefit of the people.  To give them access to the monies raised from the SIP scheme to do with as they wish, would see an immediate decline in fish stocks in Dams supported by volunteer groups.  Yes bring in a license if you must, but leave the SIP scheme as it is please.  Use the money from this new license to buy out all river netters, give them a redundancy package similar to a person working in the private sector, and give them reasonable market value for their equipment.  Return the rivers to recreational anglers only, and you won't need a Snapper closed season, because the nursery won't be getting it's guts netted out every day.

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 5
  • So Many Fish - So Little Time !
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Florida Keys USA
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 11:25:20 AM »
A blanket question/poll like this will not provide true sentiment - although I already see the few that have voted suggest the idea has potential ..........

I believe we need to suggest the frame work of what a general rec licence "could be " ......................

What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

If In Favour I suggest we would model it on the NSW example along the lines of :-

1) ALL money raised goes into two transparent Trust accounts – One for Freshwater ( taking over from the current SIPS program – This would be kicked off with a minimum of the average funds raised under the current SIPS over the last 3 years as a starting guide for allocation ) Plus a New Saltwater Trust – where All remaining fund would be held. No funds can be spent without written approval from the management committees.

2) Administration costs to manage the program would be capped at 10% from License contributions – This employs government staff to administer & manage the program.

3) The 1st priority would be to establish a selection of Recreation Fishing havens ( RFH's ) throughout Queensland in Key recreational angling areas IE: Great Sandy Straights – where ALL commercial fishing would be brought out of the designated areas– with no exceptions.

4) All remaining funds would be managed by a selection of committees consisting of recreational anglers from ALL zones with-in the state IE – Freshwater Committee – Saltwater Committee & a Head Committee – consisting of recreational anglers with expertise with in their areas.

5) What are your thoughts on costs ie:-

3 Days = $6.00
1 Month = $12.00
1 Year = $30.00
3 Years = $75.00

6) More back ground can be viewed @ http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/licence-fee

Some light reading on this result can be found @ http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=154653&highlight=General+recreational+Fishing+Licence

Regards Scotto

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 29
  • Liked: 4
  • View Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:09:55 PM »
mmmm,

A tax by any other name ie. Lisence, Permit etc utilised effectively could certainly benefit the future of  recreational fishing.  However am I wrong to assume that I pay a 10% tax (GST) every time I buy something fishing/boating related?  Would it be wrong of me to assume that the funds collected from this tax are therefore not being distributed to the relevant governmental departments to help ensure the sustainability of fishing into the future or is it unfeasible to expect that this could occur.  I have no problem with the SIP scheme as the monies paid are directly applied to the sport in which I participate hence creating a sustainable future going forward.   

I understand that the NSW system has had obvious positive results to the rec and pro fishing industry and that can only be a good thing for everyone.  My concern is that this will turn into another bureacracy that needs to be funded to exist and that the money collected will be absorbed by salaries and office leases consequently directly reducing the very funds required to effectively manage the crisis it was set up to fix.

Politics by its nature is a very touchy subject and the views and opinions expressed by all on this forum show that we are all passionate about our sport and we all seek the best outcomes for its future.  Much debate and consultation will need to be sought to ensure the balance is met.  It does however concern me that future of this sport could be left in the hands of Peter Garret who I can assure would not be burning the Midnight Oil to ensure the best outcome for everyone.

This debate will rage on in earnest for many years to come and I will continue to voice my concerns which are not against a tax in principle just by whom it benefits and how and where it is collected from.  The rec and pro sectors pay healthy sums of tax to exist and or participate in this recreation.  A recreation that creates thousands if not hundreds of thousands of jobs.

My hope is that the consultation process on this proposal encompasses the very people that help it to exist.  My old man always said measure twice........cut once.  Lets just hope it can be applied in this instance.

Just my thoughts and happy to be corrected if I am wrong. I just want to go fishing!!!

Regards
Colin Linton 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 35
  • Liked: 3
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Any small streams, rivers or estuaries
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:05:39 PM »
Just a sideline while this is under discussion folks.

A lot of us are not happy to see too much funds in the hands of our pollies and govt departments
I am a voter and I dislike them as much as anybody, some a little more, but over the past few decades I feel there has been a move to a little more honesty and transparency.

Heads have been rolling, look at the number of whistle blowers that have put their hands up in the last few years.  Transparency is a busword that must be in the front of their minds in the years ahead.

You can bet they will be tightening their systems, or becoming transparent, in case there is a minor Wickleaks on the local scene.

No more do we have to drive 10 or 100k to go to a meeting then send the local member a copy of the minutes and hope they read it.

They will be aware of your discussion and should be taking it on board, we hope.

Good luck
Gordon

Offline Member

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 148
  • Liked: 14
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 03:41:48 PM »
One thing a licence does is buy a seat at the negotiating table, many would wonder why that would be necessary since we are all tax payers. Does that wash with the commercial fishers who pay taxes, who pay for a licence to fish?  A licence can buy a portion of the TAC for recreational anglers.  Negotiations can carried out between the fishery sectors and the Gov and seen to be on an equal footing.

Another thing a licence does is buy the user the right to fish, within the laws.  If you think that you inherit the right to fish and therefore a licence is irrelevant think again, times change.  It may have been everybody's right to take a roo for tucker once.  When was the last open season, may well have been in the Great Depression? 

A licence is more about ownership and being able to demonstrate it from my point of view than anything else.

What do you do with the money, who controls it etc are details that often condemned the whole idea to the rubbish bin for a decade or so.  It's a matter of the tail wagging the dog while other interests look on with bemusement wondering if that mob will ever get their sh!t together, meanwhile lets have another marine park over there because the water is such a pretty shade of blue.

WA has just adopted a recreational boating licence, this exempts shore based anglers so the very casual angler, pensioners, kids etc can do their thing from the shore without the need for one.

To date from a regional point of view Kununurra has it's first Fisheries compliance officer since 'ever', number one priority for angler groups up here since year dot.  We now have a funded Recfishwest.  We will be restocking Lake Kununurra with barra, that Monduran sucker will be nothing but live bait when that kicks off ;)

A lot of good can come from a licence, a lot of bad came come from not properly preparing for the fact that the fishery is a diminishing resource and there are interest groups dead keen to see rec fishing reduced to fishing a few cake crumbs out of your latte while watching documentaries on how to gain further insights from one's navel       

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 08:43:20 PM »
Love your posts Dick, always to the point and with just a hint of bush humour. I believe that as long as the SIP is left alone a properly managed rec license can do nothing but positive things for us. All the Qld mob have to do is ask NSW for a copy of the way the southern thing is run and try hard not to Balls it up. Then we DO have a seat at the table and a solid bargaining chip as well as a quantifiable figure on the number of participants.
JD

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • Liked: 5
  • So Many Fish - So Little Time !
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Florida Keys USA
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »
Here are some figure on the what the NSW general license system raises over the previous few years  :-

06/07 - $10.6MIL
07/08 - $10.7MIL
08/09 - $13.4MIL

Remember that this is ON TOP OF RENEW PROVIDED FROM PUBLIC REVENEW TO RUN THE DEPARTMENT - AND IS MANAGED BY THE LICENCE EXPEDITURE COMMITEES as previously disclosed.

The break down on NSW License sales periods is :-

10% (3yr)
30% (1r)
20% (1mth)
40% (3day)
*These % do not change much year to year.

Some more good reading to be had @ http://www.recfish.com.au/projects/p...ary%202009.pdf

"Apparently" 8.75 million is allocated to Qld DPI&F from public revenue currently - with an additional 2.75 million from taxes on rego etc 

Imagine if we could raise an additional $8+ million from a general recreational angling licences - AND have a say in exactly how it is spent via a similar system as NSW as "proposed" 

Regards Scotto

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 20
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Sandy Straights
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 10:30:06 AM »
Interesting read Scott.  I was suprised that on the breakdown of the licences bought as to their duration.  Indicated that there is a lot of tourist or once a year type fisherman.  Kind of puts to ley the arguement that a licence will deter fishing tourism.

Good thread with some pros and cons being discussed.

Steve

Offline Member

• Hunter
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 12:33:18 AM »
Understand the posts above, however I just don't like paying for something that we've been doing for free since we climbed down out of the trees. Fish breed on their own, we are hunter / gatherers, we hunt them & eat them. Why should they be taxed?

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 05:18:12 AM »
2dogs, one could be cynical and say if the government thought there was a buck in it, they would be more keen to see it preserved, therefore a  "tax" might not be such a bad idea.

Do you think fags would still be on the shelf at the local supermarket if the government wasn't getting a huge whack of tax out of them?   ::)