Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Mail order  (Read 5532 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Re: Mail order
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
If you think the supplier covers the freight, I can pretty much guarantee you've never worked in the Aussie tackle industry.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »
Dale, you're not paying attention mate, in a previous post I made the point that I have spent thousands of dollars locally! I love being able to go into my local tackle shop and buy stuff. The amount I buy from overseas is minimal compared to what I buy locally. I would be the last one to advocate dumping the locals. But if I can't get it here, I will get it, one way or another. And that's human nature. I also cut out one tackle store because I didn't like his attitude, that's called free enterprise and it works both ways.
Cheers,
John

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 309
  • Liked: 34
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Baroon Pocket Dam
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »
Freight from overseas is well and truly more than the GST pittance. Mark ups are usually around the 100% mark.

But these days I find myself buying high end gear mail order from many Oz Suppliers down south, still lots cheaper than local tackle outfits.

As for supporting local business, I'll give them just as much support as they give Australian lure makers.......

Wish I had heard about your motor deal earlier. My Kotta has been in with BLA for 5 weeks. Supposedly getting fixed. Took nearly 3 weeks just to get the quote. Authorised the work 2 weeks ago, got a call yesterday, bloke wants to know why my motor is in there, the other bloke has apparently gone on holidays or something, leaving my motor sitting on the bench half done and no info on what is happening.

Wont bother getting one fixed again.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »
A lot of our local retailers are only just waking up to the fact that service is of vital importance given that they have trouble competing on price. Too often you hear the same story; a customer will very often buy locally even if they have to pay more, provided they know that they'll get service backup and the sales people actually take an interest. Binders situation is a case in point. As to freight, most sharp business people will order in bulk whenever possible to minimise freight costs. If the customer wants it out side that time he has to pay extra. As long as it's explained properly most people will be OK with it. As to stocking locally made lures, a lot of that has to come from the lure makers themselves. Perhaps they could organise themselves into an association and market their product as Garra Lures do on a site like this. There are a lot of options.
JD   

Upcoming Events, Fishing Competitions, Shows, Expos etc.....

Upcoming Events