Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)
Currently:
  • Maroon Bass 22/04 5 1

Author Topic: Maroon Bass 22/04  (Read 3158 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 59
  • Liked: 7
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Freshwater
Maroon Bass 22/04
« on: April 22, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »
Wife working, son back to school, daughter off to child care..and I'm on leave...fishing time!!

Dropped my youngest at daycare and made my way out to Maroon Dam for a later session. Weather was simply perfect, little to no wind, and no traffic on the dam either.

Launched and trolling by 9.30am, I headed right from the ramp to follow the edge. I trolled a couple of deep diver lures figuring with the sun on the water he bass would move a bit deeper looking for a feed. Trolling past the first point the sounder was showing a lot of active fish. I dropped a soft plastic on them and had a couple of his but no hook up.

I decided to keep trolling just to see what was around, made my way right up to around the back of the dam into the trees. Saw a lot of fish on the sounder but no takers at this stage. Figuring I was doing things right but wasn't in the right location I turned around and started to troll back over the way I had come. This time I went wider and deeper again. A lot of the time I was in over 50ft of water but was marking up fish at around 20-30feet, with my lures working around the 20ft mark.

Suddenly one of my rods jumped in the holder and then went slack...I figured it was a missed bite and then I jerked again. Okay, bring in the other rod quickly, then start to wind the "bite" in. It felt like I had hooked a lump of weed, there was no real action to it at all, however when I got it close to the boat, it started to give me some curry. Turns out it was a tiddler bass that I had foul hooked, eyes bigger than it's mouth :) Measured 19cm to the fork.

A quick snap and a quick release to grow another day. I was happy, one on board and my first bass from the Kayak :)

Lines set again I trolled towards the next point. On my first run past this I knew there were fish active here and I stayed a bit wide to avoid the weed an bam the other rod took off this time. Wound in the other and started working the fish. This one felt better and gave me a fun fight all the way back to the yak. Yep, this one wasn't going anywhere with both hooks in it's mouth. Released the trebbles, took a quick measure, went 27cm to the fork, released to grow another day.

Trolled my way back towards the ramp, no more hits but I was satisfied and happy, check out these conditions :)

I've got a wetmount setup now for my Garmin Echo 300c sounder now and it works flawlessly, I love the images and its such a nice screen even in bright daylight.

That was it, called it quits, and my most successfuly trip to Maroon in a long time. The other fisho's I came across were all having very good success using shrimp, one couple bagged out in 30minutes. Mid week is ideal up here, was only one ski boat and they were thoughtful staying well away.