Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Preparing for New Guinea trip  (Read 31146 times)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
Preparing for New Guinea trip
« on: September 22, 2010, 08:04:24 AM »
Pam and I are off in 2 1/2 weeks for a fortnight in Papua New Guinea, New Britain to be precise.  I thought I'd share the packing experience with you.  I've got almost all the lures ready to go.  It's a different trip this year, as we are exploring four rivers to the west of Kimbe before heading to Baia which is 100 nautical miles east.  There are supposed to be some very big fish in the Kulu, and the other new rivers.  No lodge has been built there yet, so we'll be mother shipping on the Break Free, a 10 metre Steber, and hiring a couple of local long boats for the rivers.  The Black and Spot Tail Bass are suckers for surface poppers so there are plenty of them packed.  We also fish offshore while travelling so there are a few skirted lures as well as some blade jigs and some surface lures for GT's.  There is also a box of Flies.  Here's some piccies.  The boxes are the double depth Planos.  Next we'll go through the rods and reels.

Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 9
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
Re: Preparing for New Guinea trip
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 06:12:10 PM »
It's a hard life for some eh!
Hope you have a great trip and am looking forward to seeing your pic's when you get back.

Cheers

CCFISHER

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 12
  • Liked: 2
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »
Hey Dale, can you take the same pics when you get back so we can see what and how many are missing?  ;D

SB8

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »
Yeah, the baggage is always a bit lighter on the return trip.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:59:52 AM »
Looking forward to the pics can ya put up the pic of the destroyed lures?

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 93
  • View Gallery
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:00:47 AM »
What tackle are you using? Line classes? I know this style and other heavy handed short leash types of fishing require well thought tactical approaches to get the best out of the gear and the angler. The boat driver, or well anchored boat is another part that needs fine tuning. This type of angling isn't an individual pursuit, all on the boat need to be honed and tuned into the game play, otherwise lost fish will be the trend.
Have you put as much time into tactics as you have gear selection?
Cast angles, cast length, rod position, boat position, boat propulsion at time of retrieve, where you stand on the boat in relation to the the anchor pivot or motor pivot point? An inch is a mile in these types of games. A good boat skipper catches 50% of these fish; the angler doing the other 50%.
What are your thoughts?
Johnny

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 11:44:47 AM »
Good points Johnny, most don't consider tactics.
With regards to tackle.  I'll post up pics tonight.  There are 12 or 13 varied outfits making the trip.  Mostly spooled with 30 and 50 Bionic or Sunline Super PE.  All the leaders a Black Magic Flourocarbon in 30, 60 and 80.  I've also spent a bit of time twisting up some piano wire traces in 80 and 120.  The first part of the trip will be fishing rivers that have not seen lures for many years, if at all.  There, we'll be fishing out of very basic long boats with just a local driver.  This trip is mainly to study the rivers and see if a new lodge will be sustainable.  We'll be training our own guide or controlling the boat ourselves.  This will be different to Baia where the guides are very knowledgable about the importance of boat driving and positioning.  Normal tactics for us sees Pam using a Skitter Pop as she has really learnt how to get good action from them, and me using swim baits, or diving lures working the deeper sections.  Riccard tells me we won't need to do anything smart to hook them, getting them to the boat will be the difficult bit.  For these fish, I've found that casts perpendicular to the bank have a better success rate of getting the fish out of the structure.  As Harro said in his old video, one short, one to the middle and one lo...ooomph.  One thing I'm looking forward to doing is spending some time on the Langalanga when we get to Baia.  I've asked if we can take his 4.2 Explorer on our own for a day.  This river doesn't really have much dead timber.  The banks are lined with Sago Palms and it's reasonably wide and slow flowing.  More esturine than a river.  My plan is to slow troll the edges for a day.  You may notice some Stump Jumpers and some of Jamie Flett's lures in the boxes, this will be where they come out to play.  It'll be very similar to Murray Cod trolling in the rivers down south.  Short line, heavy drag, hand to hand combat.  One reel is set up with 125lb braid for this.  I want lures thumping along the bottom.  I lost two very big fish in this river last year, one on live bait and one on a lure and I have a bit of a score to settle with them. 

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 481
  • -Receive: 175
  • Liked: 6
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Severn River at Sundown
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 01:04:02 PM »
Looking foward to the report & photos when you get back Dale.
Have fun & stay safe.
May your reels scream for mercy ;D

Cheers Andrew

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:57:57 PM »
Next installment is the Rods and Reels that are squeezing into the bazooka.  From your right to left.
Egrell Custom Grizzly with a Daiwa Saltiga 4500 S Extreme with 60lb Sunline
Egrell S4 with a Daiwa Certate 4000 Hyper Custom with 50lb Daiwa Braid
Daiwa Steez Power Junkie with a Daiwa Morethan Branzino with 30lb Bionic.
Smith Ltd. Magnum Huskie MH-72XH/KOZ (PE 8 - 12) with Abu 6500C Snakehead with 50lb Finns (Spare 125lb Platypus)
Daiwa Heartland 74HXHFB reel swapped around with below (Pam's trolling rod)
Daiwa Blue Backer 601 XHFB with a Daiwa Blue Backer 200 and 50lb Bionic
Egrell B10 with Daiwa Blue Backer 300 and 50lb Bionic
Smith Ltd. Technical Jerk AMJ52M with a Daiwa Pluton and 50lb Daiwa Jigging Braid
Smith Ltd. Technical Jerk AMJ54L with a Daiwa Black Sheep 250 and 50lb Bionic. (Pam's Jig rod) (these rods are awesome)
Egrell B8-5 fitted with Daiwa Z2020 with 30lb Sunline or Daiwa Zillion PE with 50lb Finns.
Egrell B6-5 fitted with Daiwa Zillion PE with 30lb Sunline Super PE (Pam's casting rod)
Egrell B6-6 Bear with Daiwa Zillion Crazy Cranker and 50lb Bionic
Egrell B4-6 (Modified) with a Daiwa Zillion and 50lb Daiwa Braid
Sage Xi 2 12wt with a Tibor Gulfstream and Rio Tropical Clouser inter or Abel Super 11 and Rio Tarpon Sink Tip(Spare SA Sharksin floater)

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 06:59:10 PM »
Close ups

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 82
  • Liked: 18
  • View Gallery
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 09:51:11 PM »
Good to see you not taking Knives to a Gun fight ;)
The weapon of my choice would definatly be the Fly rod for a day or more I'd love to do a few rounds with those Black or Spot Tail Bass on fly.

Hope ya have a great trip,gotta come over with ya one day.

Paul

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 10:10:54 PM »
Paul, the wish list for this trip are a Black Bass and a Yellowfin on fly and a Beakie and a Mahi Mahi on Threadline.  Anything else doesn't really matter.  I still have that Tango Dancer you gave me, and it may not come home.  I bought the Tarpon line cheap, so I can really put some muscle, Dolan/Voicey style, on the Black Bass and not worry too much about breaking the line.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 06:35:14 AM »
REMEMBER BASSER ONE THING ALLAH GEORGE VOISEY STOPEM OR POPEM BUDDY.

The Bomber

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • View Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 07:37:39 AM »
Johnny, with regard to boat positioning and fighting tactics. I'll tell you a story of one that got away.  I wanted a big fish, and Riccard told me the best way we could do it.  I caught a 1kg Mangrove Jack to which we attached two 8/0 hooks on 80lb trace.  The rod was the Smith Koz with a Daiwa Pluton and 50lb Braid.  Jackie was deployed 6' below a red party balloon.  Pam was using little Sleepy Cod we'd caught in a lagoon and had a couple of half hearted takes.  We were drifting a slow river and saw a huge fish about 50 metres away take something off the surface with great gusto.  We gently motored down and I let Jackie out to play.  The drag on the Pluton was done up as tight as I could get it, and my thumb was locked down on the spool with my other thumb locked down on it.  I had about 2 metres of line from the rod tip to the ballon, so all up there was 5 metres of braid and 1 metre of 80lb mono.  In about the same time as it takes to type the word Geeeezzzzusss, Jackie got eaten, the Balloon popped off, the hooks came flying out of the water, I lost about half a square inch of skin from my right thumb, and I lost control of my sphincter.  That fish never had a hook in him, otherwise I'd have lost more layers of skin.  The only real preparations I've done for this type of encounter is a 3 month extensive sphincter strengthening regime.  I honestly believe that some fish over there are truely uncatchable, but they're the ones that get me back each year.  Yes, there have been 40+ pounders caught, some by ladies, with much lighter gear.  Lady Luck is a very important factor.  It's all about the locality of where you hook the fish.  There is a river we visited last year that is crystal clear and reasonably deep.  We stopped the boat and let it idle for a while and I watched a school of Bass swim up over a drop off to nose around the motor.  One of the fish, according to Riccard, was over 60lb.  It was bloody massive.  I sat a fly on it's nose and it wouldn't eat it.  We cast as many lures as we could find but they wouldn't eat them.  Ric has never caught a fish in that river, but he has got them just out from the mouth trolling for Mackeral.  They were spewing up Sand Crabs when boated.  I've got a couple of crab pattern flies this year, and also a tube of superglue to glue an 8/0 to the back of a live crab.  Honestly to hook one of these monsters is a very special experience, to land one, one must be truely blessed.  But, that's why we go there.

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • View Gallery
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 09:53:31 AM »
Check out this for PNG,  The anglers are Norio Tanabe, Reiko Kojima (Nories/Marukyu), and Kazz (onebiteonefishe).  They are using Deps Sidewinder and Nories Roadrunner rods.  Also some good photos of Awoonga etc.

http://www.onebiteonefishe.com/photo/papua/papua08_day1.html

Cheers

Cowboy