Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Currently:
  • Would you like to see Jungle Perch Stocked into Lakes in the future?? 5 2

General Category > Polls

Would you like to see Jungle Perch Stocked into Lakes in the future??

(1/1)

Editor:
Would you like to be able to catch Jungle Perch in our dams / lakes??

HAVE YOUR SAY TODAY  :tick

** You need to be logged in & vote to see the results **

! No longer available Small | Large

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Highlander:
Hell YES to jungle perch already. Bring it on  :thumb  :Clap) :youbeauty  :thumbsup  :GoodPost)

cee bee:
Seems like a great idea but one would have to consider the natural area and range of these fish in the wild. I believe that at one time they were as far south as the maroochy river area even though they are now considered more a northern species. As far as south east qld goes we already have a good thing going with a world class bass fishery,yellowbelly,saratoga,cod and so on. A few releases into our more pristine coastal streams makes a lot more sense to me.

Sweetwater:

--- Quote from: cee bee on November 07, 2016, 08:36:38 AM ---Seems like a great idea but one would have to consider the natural area and range of these fish in the wild. I believe that at one time they were as far south as the maroochy river area even though they are now considered more a northern species. As far as south east qld goes we already have a good thing going with a world class bass fishery,yellowbelly,saratoga,cod and so on. A few releases into our more pristine coastal streams makes a lot more sense to me.

--- End quote ---

JPs natural range once extended well into NSW; Richmond & Clarence systems. Some small specimens were recently recorded in the Richmond R. A large JP was caught recently in one of the Gold Coast rivers.

I could go today and find JPs well south of the Maroochy River, but sorry I wont be saying where as these few isolated pockets need to be left alone.

I think they would only be permitted to be stocked into coastal systems where they are / were found.

Golden Perch are not endemic to coastal systems (except for Fitzroy strain GPs), so should not be stocked anyway. I see JPs as a more nautral speciies for stocking over the Murray / Darling species now commonly stocked outside their natural range (ie into SE Qld lakes)

cee bee:
I remember many years ago seeing what I thought were jungle perch in some streams of the Conondale ranges but it was a long time
ago and I was not as actively fishing then as much as what I am now. I do seem to remember the flagtail colouration on them though. Not many people fished these areas 40 odd years ago like they do now as we have quite a few stocked species now and dam escapees replenishing these rivers as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version