Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Rods  (Read 6698 times)

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 0
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: in the water
Rods
« on: December 20, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
Hey guys im after a bit of info on some rods
Im thinking about buying the Samurai reaction 351 Bass & Barra rod to chase Barra, cod and toga
I already own a 3-6kg shimano catana I use for Bass so im wondering if im better off just using that for toga and getting the Samurai 451 incase i happen to hook a real fish?
Im yet to hook a decent cod or a Barra so i dont really know what im in for yet
does anyone have experience with these rods?
I think the main reason I was leaning towards the 351 is the fact its a single piece and i dont want to over do it on the heavy gear

cheers

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
Re: Rods
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »
Mate that's a big jump going from a Catana to the Samurai. The only thing they have in common really is the japanese names. You didn't say what the line/lure rating was on the Samurai but you might do well to look at the Shimano Raider. If your budget will stretch to the Samurai fine they're a great rod, but a lot of Barra have been caught on Barra Raiders with Curado reels. You don't say whether you are fishing in rivers or impoundments either. In the impoundments the chances of a really big Barra are much greater than in a wild river. Also are you casting or trolling?
JD

Offline Member

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 17
  • Liked: 0
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: in the water
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 10:09:58 PM »
ok cheers takrat
iv seen them a few times in mags but the price is why im asking I dont want to be stung getting a rod for that price!
the catana does me fine for bass in the river but i thought id pay a bit more for a bigger rod
just dont know what to go with
i prefer casting to trolling and would probably use it for both impoundment and rivers id prefer to fish rivers but the closest barra are impoundment fish but id love to hook some of them and some toga, I do have some cod streams fairly close though and would love to chase barra in the rivers 
and was thinking about the curado reels though im not sure what lb line, i prefer mono to braid
the samurai have a choice of (351) 10-17lb and the (451) 12-20lb
I have seen the raider rods before but as i only have bass to play with down here iv never looked into barra gear but next time im in the toy shop I'll have a look
are there any sizes/ models that I should be looking for or does the raider range have only 1 barra rod?

cheers

Offline Member

• Fish Restocker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 420
  • -Receive: 1212
  • Liked: 104
  • Sweetwater Fishing Larrikan
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Wivenhoe, where else
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:47:50 AM »
Hi Josh, welcome to the site.  The best way to choose a rod is to get it in your hand, with your reel fitted and try it out.  If you're casting lures, you want to try the rod with the lure weight you'll be using.  Don't worry too much about the fish fighting abilities, you'll be spending more time casting than landing fish, and rod strength can be compensated for by lower rod angles.  You want a rod that is comfortable to cast all day.

Offline Member

• Contributor
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 236
  • Liked: 27
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Upper Clarence River above the Gorge
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »
Dale's right Josh, You don't have to spend a fortune on a Barra/Cod rod and I reckon too many people put too much emphasis on heavy gear. The Curado's a great reel and well suited to a lighter rod, but as Dale says put your reel on the rod and try it for balance and general "feel". If you go too heavy you won't be able to make the longer casts that are often required. Generally a stiffer rod is great for tolling but if you prefer casting, go a little lighter. Just make sure the balance is right. You can spool the Surado with either 20 or 30lb braid (my preference) and it will cast well with the right rod.
Cheers mate,
John