Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

Special Interest > Fly Fishing

Last night I learnt that....................

(1/3) > >>

Dick Pasfield:
You never play a fish off the reel unless you can keep the line from tangling and clear of things like handles etc

Fly line burns are something else again.  No cuts, just blisters

Backing cuts

Reel handles hurt when they hit and fingers get tangled if you get them too close.

Palming a reel is cool, even when it also leaves track marks on your hand.

A fly line resonates like crazy when held under load across current.

That was a first and definitely want to do that again :)

dougout:
sounds like an enjoyable and steep learning curve Dick. Nice work on the wand.  8)

Bracey:
What an awesome fish caught on fly.

If my memory serves me well and correct me if I'm wrong, was it only last year that you thought of picking up a fly rod again after a long spell?

Looking at the size of the fish, I reckon it would have taken you to hell and back before you got the upper hand.

Well done Dick! :youbeauty

Dick Pasfield:

--- Quote from: Bracey on March 05, 2011, 06:22:22 PM ---What an awesome fish caught on fly.

If my memory serves me well and correct me if I'm wrong, was it only last year that you thought of picking up a fly rod again after a long spell?

Looking at the size of the fish, I reckon it would have taken you to hell and back before you got the upper hand.

Well done Dick! :youbeauty

--- End quote ---

I first took up the wand about two years ago, stealing my son's gear.  Last year about this time (sooty time) I decided to break out my Grandfathers rod, buying a reel for it (I did think of him last night as I held the fish). The thing is 50 years old, near enough about a nine weight. It handled the fish pretty well once I sorted out what you don't do with fish over 2kg.

Cant get over the the mechanics of a fly reel when its unloading line at speed. OH&S mob would have safety guards all over it ;D.  So opposite to the usual run of gizmo's  8)     

bushwacker:
great fish Dick i could only imagine how the fight was just picking up a fly rod myself.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version