Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Fish responsibly to protect endangered species  (Read 17750 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Re: Fish responsibly to protect endangered species
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 06:48:08 PM »
We're kicking a ball around inside a room. Fish restocking & recreational fishing ultimately are of little or no long term consequence regarding MRCs.
Until the reasons for MRCs decline are addressed, eg habitat removal, barriers, altered flows, thermal pollution etc Without these being addressed, we can stock MRCs until the cows come home and it will make little or no difference. Forcing restrictions on recreational anglers will ultimately make no difference either. So, IMHO & depending on the system, until these problems are fixed, we may as well stock them just for recreational fishing. As there has been a lot of money spent using recreational fishing enhancement funds to buy fingerlings in the past, why not let recreational anglers fish for them, even on a no take basis. Let's face it, lots already go fishing for MRCs, Easterns & Trout Cod, yet there are still fish there & the sky hasn't fallen down. At what point is enough MRCs restocked going to be enough? Do we keep pumping them in forever? To what end....??? At some point, in theory, if restocking is going to be the savior of the species, do we stop & let them continue on their own? I reckon if there is a point, we are pretty much there already, if they're going to make it they now will or they never will.

A recovery program of an endangered species should be let by, administered by & funded by the federal government. And always remember that fish restocking SHOULD ALWAYS BE THE LAST RESORT, yet here we are hard at it already.... We're really putting the cart before the horse by what we're doing. Fix the habitat, fix the flows, stop thermal pollution, get the livestock out of the beds & banks of waterways THEN we would probably find just a few cod would breed up on their own without the need of restocking. Isn't this where we should be focusing our efforts?

Don't get me wrong, I love our native fish & especially our true native bass (Cod) I'm not for one moment suggesting we don't do what we can. I'm about to hand over some coin to my local group (from Wivenhoe Convention) & ask if this can be spent on MRCs in the Bremer & Lockyer catchments. But by doing that aren't I/we just encouraging those bodies whose job it is to actually take a lead role in this, to do nothing at all & offer no further funding? That's what keeps sitting in the back of my mind......

Offline Member

• Lure Maker
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 414
  • -Receive: 233
  • Liked: 27
  • hunter
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: oh somewhere out near the border ranges ....
Re: Fish responsibly to protect endangered species
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
Small Proactive land holder on river and creek fronatge rewards ? In place of stocking fingerlings like you suggest encourage key areas assesd to be suitable for MRC breeding habbitat to be looked after in a way that looks after the cod ?

Just throwing it out there.... but do agree constant stocking wont save a species