Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Mid Brisbane River report  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Member

• Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • Administrator
  • Legend Member
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2751
  • -Receive: 1294
  • Liked: 88
  • Sweetwater Fishing Australia
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Connors River
Mid Brisbane River report
« on: August 13, 2011, 08:27:10 PM »
Took the son down the Mid Brisbane River for some kayak lessons today. I've got to say it was an awesome day to be on the water. The river is looking great with nice water color.

I pegged a timber lure while the lad shot a set of rapids then I'd drag his kayak back up for him to do it again & again; practice makes perfect for him & he was having a ball shooting the fast water over and over.

Scored two yellowbelly on a wide action hard body, two of them around 50cm (& fat) off a back water snag at the not far below the rapids.

Then the lad wanted to go further downstream through some faster flowing shallows with a worrying bend & horizontal snag right at the surface that the water was pushing into. I went first with the boy close behind. I thought he was going to stack it on the snag but his light weight allowed him to glide over the snag nicely. Don't think he realised how worried I was.

On the homeward run I caught a mid 40s bass on a double colorado spinnerbait which I released next to the kayak without picking it up.

Spent the long run back to the car throwing a tennis ball into the water out in front & racing the lad to get it. Very good practice for him at controlling the kayak accurately & turning sharply.

All in all, a great day out. I probably only had 50 casts all up & was stoked to get a couple of yellas on the Garra lure.

Of concern was seeing a 45-48cm ± bass almost dead & wallowing around on the surface close to death. It has some serious sores & infection on it, obviously an ex lake fish. For the life of me I don't see the reason the escapee bass are protected by a closed season when there is alot that are just going to die downstream from either lack of food, stress or from injuries sustained in the great escape.

I know of several submissions are being put in to get this rediculous regulation changed to allow fishing for bass in waters upstream of weirs year round, in particular the mid Brisbane River.

Cheers,

Fitz..