Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

Special Interest > Electronics chat

Canoe Fish Finders

<< < (2/3) > >>

Binder:
No they are sealed. You can immerse them totally with no real issues. What I have found is that you have to protect the battery from yourself!

I dropped an aeroguard tin on top of mine in the box I keep it all in in the back of the car. It arced, burnt a hole right through the tin, but did not ignite it (or I wouldn't be typing this now!). I keep my battery in a kids plastic lunch box now, with holes drilled through for the wires to go.

dougout:
here's another variation ...... this set-up works well for my sit-in yak
 ...... would also work in any single skin canoe.

I've made a pick-up and drop-in, all in one, centre console, from a plastic container.
Holds the sounder & it's transducer, the 7amp. battery plus extras in one easy to carry/simple to install, package. No external wiring and bits to foul with weed or snag lures etc.
Transducer shoots through a water filled rubber glove which is in contact with the inside of the hull.
I have several photos that explain the build if you think it might work for you, just let me know.

Capitan Morgan:
Interesting concept working through the hull...I think I will try it, just because I like seeing how stuff works. Do you have to tweak you sounder when you do it compared to just when it is in the water?

My hull is epoxy-4mm ply-fiberglass/epoxy. I do imagine some signal loss for sure is going to occur and in the end will most likely just hang it over the side, but I love seeing stuff like that.. :thumbsup

Sweetwater:

--- Quote from: Capitan Morgan on January 06, 2011, 11:48:38 AM ---
My hull is epoxy-4mm ply-fiberglass/epoxy. I do imagine some signal loss for sure is going to occur and in the end will most likely just hang it over the side, but I love seeing stuff like that.. :thumbsup

--- End quote ---

Transducer should shoot through  your hull no problem. Only thing you need to ensure is that there's no air between the transducer & the hull. There's alot of way to do it.

Epoxy, glue or silicones all work of you want to fix it inside or for a wet box arrangement grease, oil, water or glycol all work.
** NOTE** Never use acid cure silicones on transducers as they will react with the transducer. If it smells like vinegar its probably an acid cure. Use a neutral cure with high adhesive properties & marine rated like FixTech or Sikaflex.

Humminbird do a kit for inhull mounting of transducers. You put the self adhesive rubber boot onto the inside of the hull > put the supplied grease into the boot > put transducer into boot on top of grease > use the velco zip tie to secure it. See pic below

Cheers,

fitzy..

Capitan Morgan:
Oh cool.. I do think It would be better for not tangling lines... and not to mention for paddling!!! Thanks for the tips guys!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version