Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

General Category > General Discussion

Wyaralong Dam's Fishlift, was it worth the money??

(1/2) > >>

Novice:
While down at Wyaralong dam today, we decided to check out the spillway and the fishlift. As this fishlift impacts the stocking levels that are being negotiated , I couldn't help but wonder how much use/value it really is. The pond below the wall is virtually a brown stagnant pond with very little flow(just a trickle). I understand that the fishlift only operates during times of flow, but I can't help but think , the flow of fish in net terms will be in the downstream direction.

The end of the pond below the wall.

The road bridge below the wall.

Cheers,
Dave.

WayneD:
Did anyone see that episode of Monster fish that was on the Murray Cod? They had a fish lift in that episode that seemed to work great. The fish were attracted to the flow of water coming out of the bottom of the lift once inside the trap door was shut and the fish lifted out of the water and released up stream.

Not sure if this is the same type of lift though?

Brad H:
It does seem a waste on that dam though, considering the normal flows in the creek. Anything larger than a guppy would be hard pressed to make it upstream unless there was a rain event.
BUT... Thats one of the consequences of addressing the objections conservationists would have against the dam's construction I guess.

Brad

Junglefisher:
Looks like plenty of water in those photos to me for small fish migrating upstream, having been spawned downstream  / in the salt.
I've seen plenty of fish under torchlight in water so shallow they have to swim sideways.

drjfly:
In Australia most fish move upstream as juveniles and return downstream as adults so when a fish lift like this is operated correctly it will pass in pure numbers terms a great deal of fish upstream. See this link for more info http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/Forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item7

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version