Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

General Category > General Discussion

Double Or Single

(1/3) > >>

tednted:
G'day Fellas,
Following on from the other thread on leaders !   I'm just wondering , how many of you guys use double braid to your leader ???  Is it a must ??? Does it strengthen your join to the leader ???? 
I have been doing the double on most of my gear , but I seem to be a minority down here amongst the cod fishos .
What are your thoughts ??????
cheers AL

aussiebasser:
If you learn to tie a Slim Beauty you can do away with the double.  You'll get a knot that's easier to cast too.  My brother is a Codger from around Mulwala.  He refuses to use a leader, and runs 35lb Spiderwire straight to the lure.  My other brother up here runs 50lb Finns or Bionic straight to his Barra lures.  They've both landed bigger cod and bigger barra than I have so I can't tell them they're doing it wrong.

tednted:
Thanks Dale ,
I use to run the braid straight to the lure aswell , untill I done a trip to Morgan in SA chasing big deepwater cod !! After 2 days the last 10-15ft  of braid was knackered from where it had been rubbing over all the rock ledges ! so ever since I've been using leader
cheers AL

RandallG:

--- Quote from: aussiebasser on September 21, 2010, 07:17:21 AM ---If you learn to tie a Slim Beauty you can do away with the double.  You'll get a knot that's easier to cast too.  My brother is a Codger from around Mulwala.  He refuses to use a leader, and runs 35lb Spiderwire straight to the lure.  My other brother up here runs 50lb Finns or Bionic straight to his Barra lures.  They've both landed bigger cod and bigger barra than I have so I can't tell them they're doing it wrong.

--- End quote ---

Not running a leader flys in the face of everything we come to take for gospel hey Dale!! I know they catch fish. It seems to work for them. go figure. :)
I know Paul Dolan put me onto 150lb braid for a leader for Barra. That works. But I lost confidence in it when I lost a fish.
Randall

PMC:
Harro is the best to respond to this thread
 Braid straight to the hook is fine as long as there is no abrasive in the water.
 Big logs like you have on the Murray dont damage braid like rocks do.
 The main reason you tie a double to join mono to braid, is the braid is sharp and cuts mono, the double spreads the load over more area in the knot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version