Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...
Recent Pictures (List All)

Rating: (None)
Views: 34
Comments (0)

Views: 37
Comments (0)

Views: 35
Comments (4)

Views: 25
Comments (0)

Author Topic: Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 14 April 2012  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Member

• Fishing Guide
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
  • Liked: 1
  • Sweetwater Fishing Fanatic
  • View Gallery
  • Favourite Fishing Spot is: Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Report. 14 April 2012
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »
Lake Jindabyne
Trout Fishing Report.
For 14th April 2012

By Steve Williamson. –
Lake Jindabyne Trout Fishing Adventures.
0408 024436                      Shop -02 64561551

NEWS
Well the snow came to Jindabyne last week and the temperatures dropped severely for a couple of days before returning to beautiful weather and HOT fishing. The snow certainly changed the mood of the rainbow trout with plenty of fish being caught.
The fish were on the surface for the boat trollers with some anglers catching their bag in just a couple of hours.
Bait and spin anglers also had some fantastic fishing and those fishing from the shore of the lake have been reporting brown trout to 5 lb plus.
If you want the most up to date information you need to call into my shop or check out our new facebook page with daily updates.
You can also WIN prizes http://www.facebook.com/pages/Steve-Williamsons-Lake-Jindabyne-Trout-Fishing-Adventures/286736598024666
Post your photos with a trout and a Tasmanian Devil or Rapala lure and win prizes in our weekly best fish competition.
RAPALA “DISCOVERY HOLIDAY PARKS FAMILY FISHING COMPETITION”
There WILL be a trout fishing competition on in early May. More details on my web site and facebook soon!
Friday 4th Registration, Saturday competition, Sunday competition till 11am. Presentation BBQ from 12pm.
Early registration is available and those that do register early will receive a $50 sponsors gift pack
Call into my shop or e-mail me for registration forms.
Accommodation bookings call Discovery Holiday Parks Jindabyne on – 02 64562099

LAKE LEVEL and TEMPERATURE
The lake level is at 91% and reasonably steady now. The temperature today was 14.5 degrees.
Best methods to catch a trout.
Best method – Boat trolling with surface lures has been fantastic.
Best lake lure –Spotted Dog and Perch patter Rapalas and Tasmanian Devil Holographic are now doing well.
Best lake area – Lion and Cub islands are fishing well.
Best fly method lake – Hamills Killer, Black Woolly Bugger and Williamson’s Goldfish.
Best River Fly Fishing–  Black nymphs on the Thredbo River.
Best River Lures – Thredbo River. Gillies Feathertails and Bendbacks and gold Rapalas.

Let’s have a look at what the fishing is going to be like over the next few weeks.

Trolling.
There is no doubt that the surface trolling is now very good, so start with at least 50 metres drop back and trolling close to the shore. As the sun gets higher try lead line at 2 to 3 colours. (20 to 30 metres of line out)
Best colour Tassies have been Holographic or Brown Bomber and Rapalas are ones with a touch of orange on them like the Brook Trout pattern of Perch pattern. Pink lures also now catching a few trout.
Still some downrigging in the middle of the day to scattered trout from 35 to 45 feet off Jindabyne Township.

Lake Bait Fishing 
(Primarily most rivers and streams in the Snowy Mountains Region are fly and lure only, We recommend that you first check with the Department of Industry and Investment NSW (NSW Fishing rules) as to which rivers in the area you can legally bait fish in. IF IN DOUBT DON’T BAIT FISH in the RIVERS!)
Shore based bait fishing continues to be good with local Scrubbies, bardi grubs and powerbait the best.
Artificial salmon eggs are still good on the lake in deeper water.
Shoreline access is difficult due to the high water level but that will change by next week, for the moment try The Claypits, Hatchery Bay, Town Centre near front of Banjo Patterson Park and The Snowy Arm.

Lake Spinning
Lure spinning has still been good and there are trout about and the best fishing is in the shallows early and deep water later in the middle of the day. The Tasmanian Devil Holographic, Y82 and Y48  have all been good and so is the Holographic.
Minnow lures like floating Rapalas, Stumpjumpers and other minnow style lure in either natural rainbow trout and brown trout patterns or gold colours to represent the Jindabyne goldfish that the trout love to chase and eat.
Don’t stay in one place too long and only put in a couple of casts in each area.
Shallow areas try Gillies Feathertails and Tailwalkers which are new products worth a look.
Some new lures to try in the dark are the new glow Blue Fox Vibrax spinners. Charge them up with a torch or camera flash and watching them spin through the water is incredible, trout are very inquisitive and often hit the lure hard.
Call into my shop and I will show you some of the better soft plastics that we are having great success on over the last week.

River Spinning
The Thredbo is flowing slowly now and the water is clear and the fish are spooky. I think if we can get some heavy rain we migt see more fish start on the spawning run.
Celtas, Gillies Bendbacks and Feathertails will be good but other lures working well are Vibrax Blue Fox, Wodens Rooster Tail sonics and Blue Fox Super Minnow in yellow or blue. Minnow lures like the Count Down brown and rainbow trout pattern Rapalas are also good.
In deeper and bigger pools try some of the metal blades hat we have in my shop. We will help out with the best colours and they best way to use them to get results.

Fly Fishing Lake
Fishing the small bays and inlets should get some results very early and late in the day if you’re careful not to spook the trout. Cast around the snags for best results. Woolley Buggers, Craig’s Night time and Williamson’s Goldfish have been the flies well worth using at dawn and dusk. The shallow bays on the lake are worth a try early before the sun rises but after that you had better be fishing deep.

Fly fishing Rivers and Streams
The Thredbo has been consistent, with the higher areas towards Thredbo fishing a little better.
Lots of autumn leaves on the water now, especially on windy days so that can make dry fly fishing difficult.
May be a little dry fly on sunny days in the deeper pools. Steams were running fast but a little easier to fish than last week. A couple of trout still being caught on Stimulators and Royal Humpies.
For visitors to the Snowy’s we have a full range of fishing tackle for hire at my shop and fishing tours are now available.

Have you any photos that you can e-mail me?
I can use the information to add into my own reports and your photo might not only end up in my report but might also go into a draw for the best fish of the month which will win you a $50 Tassie Devil Tackle Pack.

For more information on the latest fishing conditions, please call into –
STEVE WILLIAMSON’S TACKLE SHOP
             Shop 1 Snowline Centre, Kosciuszko Road Jindabyne 2627
Fishing Charters – Bait and Tackle Supplies- Marine Supplies

P.M.B. 5 Jindabyne NSW 2627             E-mail  swtrout@airlan.com.au     www.swtroutfishing.com.au  Shop – (02) 64 561551