Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

Special Interest > Fish Restocking / Acclimatisation and Environment

Mary River cod fingerlings.

<< < (6/6)

Editor:

--- Quote from: Novice on August 04, 2015, 10:42:35 PM ---Ray, I saw that thread you are talking about. It only lasted about half a day, you linked a news article about GC JPs.

--- End quote ---

There was no info in the post itself, it was just a link to another website which was about a Jungle Perch caught on the Gold Coast. Hold on the conspirancy theories, the post was removed because it had no content other than a link to a commercial website which doesn't have a return link to sweetwater, nothing more, nothing less.

Here's some pictures by Mick Horn the angler who caught the JP. We contacted Mick at the time & he shared the location for our database, but that info will not be shared here as we promised to keep it confidential.

rayke1938:

Considering the endangered status or MRC its is a hard decision whether to take broodstock for producing fingerlings or to leave them alone to maybe recruit naturally.
Seeing the apparent losing battle in the Mary catchment there is a very strong case to expand the production of more fingerlings and looking at the record of the 2 existing hatcheries there is a strong case or allowing more hatcheries to produce fingerlings.
My personal opinion is that similar to the JP program it that they should be reintroduced back into waters where they previously existed and once established then closed seasons re examined.
From memory both existing hatcheries have lost broodstock in the past and do not have a recent good record of producing fingerlings,
One of the existing hatcheries is a commercial operation so why the opposition to the allowing new producers?
Fisheries already regulate the number of broodstock of the new operator is allowed to possess
Nothing to stop the existing hatcheries replacing their broodstock from dodgy locations.
 Definitely a case for fisheries to at least oversee and tag broodstock and electrofishing would be the least invasive method
. I know of at least one pair that were electrofished and released in an area where they would have had very little chance to recruit and 99% chance of ending up in a white bucket.
Should the broodstock collected out of the Mary catchment be DNA tested to ensure that they have not been contaminated with murray bloodlines .
I think that most existing stocking groups are very conservative  with allocating where their monies are spent, and the only group that are actively wishing to heavily stock marys is the LAFMA who at present do not receive any sip monies. With wyaralong being only a new dam they have a vision of this dam becoming a premier mary dam in the future and have a heavy fundraising program but are frustrated by lack or a reliable reasonably priced source of fingerings.

Sweetwater:

--- Quote from: rayke1938 on August 05, 2015, 09:14:36 AM ---Considering the endangered status or MRC its is a hard decision whether to take broodstock for producing fingerlings or to leave them alone to maybe recruit naturally.
Seeing the apparent losing battle in the Mary catchment there is a very strong case to expand the production of more fingerlings and looking at the record of the 2 existing hatcheries there is a strong case or allowing more hatcheries to produce fingerlings.
My personal opinion is that similar to the JP program it that they should be reintroduced back into waters where they previously existed and once established then closed seasons re examined.
From memory both existing hatcheries have lost broodstock in the past and do not have a recent good record of producing fingerlings,
One of the existing hatcheries is a commercial operation so why the opposition to the allowing new producers?
Fisheries already regulate the number of broodstock of the new operator is allowed to possess
Nothing to stop the existing hatcheries replacing their broodstock from dodgy locations.
 Definitely a case for fisheries to at least oversee and tag broodstock and electrofishing would be the least invasive method
. I know of at least one pair that were electrofished and released in an area where they would have had very little chance to recruit and 99% chance of ending up in a white bucket.
Should the broodstock collected out of the Mary catchment be DNA tested to ensure that they have not been contaminated with murray bloodlines .
I think that most existing stocking groups are very conservative  with allocating where their monies are spent, and the only group that are actively wishing to heavily stock marys is the LAFMA who at present do not receive any sip monies. With wyaralong being only a new dam they have a vision of this dam becoming a premier mary dam in the future and have a heavy fundraising program but are frustrated by lack or a reliable reasonably priced source of fingerings.

--- End quote ---

Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

elops:
If anyone is interested and would like all the many questions asked in this thread answered then come up to the hatchery for a visit. I am very busy here currently 24/7 by myself, happy to talk while I work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version