Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

General Category > General Discussion

Barra and Estuary Fishing - Gladstone

(1/5) > >>

toyota254:
Hi All

I've just started getting into Barra fishing and have been reading a number of articles and a book by Johnny Mitchell on barra fishing.

The more I read and the more people I talk to the more questions I have. I am also looking at doing one of Johnny Mitchells Awoonga charters.

I  am also looking at fishing the many estuaries Gladstone has to offer.

I have  4.2m tinny with a 30hp 2 stroke, should I be looking at getting an eletric outboard for it for trolling??

I am going to buy a new sounder, what would be better and best suited out of  a Lowrance HDS or the elite DSI?

I have some low end Abu Garcia bait casters and was thinking of also getting a spin combo, I was thinking of a stradic 4000 on a shimano raider fire rod. Would this combo be suited to barra and estuary fishing?

Any info or advice you can offer would be appriciated

Binder:
Certainly your combo would be the goods for larger fish.With the rod I'd be looking at something in the 5 to 8kg range.
The Abu's may cut it, depending on size and line you've got on them. They are tough reels.
Apart from Awoonga the Barrage at Gladstone is also good fishing, as the outlet of the power station. (assuming there are some fish left that have not died during the recent disease outbreak)
Guides are always good to find out what the current lure pattern and technique are working and to show you the ropes. From what I have heard none of the guides at Awoonga are reporting much of a catch at the moment, albeit word is they are getting a few and keeping it quiet.

Earl:
Welcome aboard

Firstly, you’re on the right track with the Johnny Mitchell information, plus his first two barra dvd are a great source of information.

Johnny would be my number one choice for a barra charter and will significantly cut the learning curve.

Not having an electric motor is not insurmountable, but it definitely helps when trying to be stealthy.  I use the electric to approach an area and then lower a silent anchor, large motor coupling with no chain to hold position. Until you get an electric, you can use the wind and current to approach an area.

As for the sounders, it like the old Ford and Holden argument, Lowrance / Humminbird, personally I would get the HDS as you can add the Structure Scan later. I’ve had a Lowrance hds structure scan for 2 years and I’m very happy with the performance, just wish I could have afforded a bigger screen at the time.

Nothing wrong with the Abu gear, its a bit agricultural like an old Fergie Tractor, but it’s damn reliable. 

Spot on with the Stradic and Raider rod, I have the 4000 on a raider bass rod, which I use for barra.  I prefer a whippier rod for barra fishing.  Firstly, the main purpose of the rod is to deliver lures to the target zone and the whippier rod makes a great shock absorber for the jumps and head shakes.

That’s my two cents worth
Earl

toyota254:
Binder,

Thanks for your info on the rods, the Abus seem pretty good and I have 30lb on one and 20lb braid on the other.

Have tried Awoonga but not overly seriously yet, we dropped a few claw pots on the weekend and got a 22cm one. I have tried the hot water outlet a few times but got nothing but sand fly bites. What are you referring to as the Barrage??

I have also been to Callemondah (both salt and fresh) and have had a number of hits and spat lures.

Earl,

I'd say a sounder is first on the to buy list at the moment, I did like the looks of the down scan pictures on the lowrance website but I'm not sure that's how good it will look in actual use. The HDS as a sounder looks good, and when I can afford it I can upgrade to side scan latter on.

So the stradic handles barra fairly well? It has a pretty decent drag rating on it.

I'll have a look at the raider bass rod, cheers for that.

Simon

aussiebasser:
Your first investment should be in a sounder/gps combo.  I prefer Humminbird, but yeah it is a Holden/Ford thing.  Your 2 stroke 30 will get you by for trolling as long as it will idle smoothly at around 4kph.  There is some argument for a rougher idling 2 stroke as a fish attactractant.  A charter with either Johnny or Harro would be money well spent.  If this is your home water it could save you a couple of years of toughing it out on your own.  If you're mainly trolling, the old Abus should serve you well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version