Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

General Category > Polls

Lake Kurwongbah access - POLL

(1/7) > >>

Editor:
What do you thing should happen with regard to public access to Lake Kurwongbah at Petrie?

You can select upto 2 options to get the best outcome for your preference.

rayke1938:
The only way I would support any extension to the current access is if the lake were to become part of the SIPS scheme.
I believe that the lake was stocked as a joint venture by the Moreton Regional council and the PRFMA and the original vision was for it to be a shore based fishery with open fishing access (free) to the general public.
 The council and Prfma only have limited funds to continue stocking and additional funding would be required if a lot of additional fishing pressure was put onto the lake.
Possibly a cap on the number of users that are on the lake at any one time similar to Baroon pocket would have to exist.
Maybe a boating access charge?
The water skiers have a lease on a large area of land and it would be unfair to just chuck them off but there would have to be seperate areas designated for the skiers and the other recreational users.
There is also the existing rowing club to consider.
Just a few things to think about.
Cheers
Ray

Binder:
Be interesting to see SEQ's response to the discovery of Cabomba weed on the lake, they have closed boating access to some lakes in the past with the weed present, but continued to allow access to others.

As stated elsewhere, I reckon the go is to open up the bottom end of North Pine Dam to the public for canoe / yak access. The dams are virtually a stones throw apart - Kurwongbah is to small to take on much water traffic, and has pre existing users with a long history that would not blend well with general public access.

Lovely looking dam for lure casting though!

Sweetwater:

--- Quote from: rayke1938 on October 06, 2010, 04:12:53 AM ---I believe that the lake was stocked as a joint venture by the Moreton Regional council and the PRFMA and the original vision was for it to be a shore based fishery with open fishing access (free) to the general public.
Cheers
Ray

--- End quote ---
G'Day Ray,

I wrote the original management plan for Kurowngbah & took it to PRFMA for consideration as I was going to start a 2nd stocking group if they again decided not to stock Kurwongbah. (luckily the was a more moderated group there on the night)

The local council was required as a signatory being the land owner at the lake, but that was as far as their involvement was required to get the stocking program running. If they engage further after the fact, then that's great.

The vision I had in mind when working towards getting a Rec Fishery at Kurwongbah was to see some access for paddlecraft. While access & a Fishery Management Plan are not symbiotic, they can & do reflect/impact on the other & should be considered.

Joining the SIP in the future is quite an easy process if that's what the management group wishes. Takes 2 years (roughly) from application to getting funds through the pipeline.

Cheers,

fitz..

maverick76:
G'day

I see no reason to stop the skiers at all.  Shore based fishing with in the dam for the plastic/wood/feather chuckers is difficult however due to the weed infestation on the banks adjoining Torrens Rd, Petrie.  I agree that it needs to be run under the SIP scheme and understand resources may well already be thin in relation to volunteers and stocking.  I do however see value in allowing others access to the lake as an alternative to NPD. 

Regards
Colin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version