Members can see more Boards, Topics, Picture Galleries, Videos, Games and more. Register NOW...

General Category > Polls

Lake Kurwongbah access - POLL

<< < (2/7) > >>

BrisBassMan:
Fishing:  Kurwongbah needs more time to be established. 

Boating access:  Try to find a happy medium between the existing groups that use it and the canoe/kayaks/electrics.

Shayned:
Historical users need to be considered, I think the skiers have been there for approx 50 years and the rowers have been there for a long time too, the challenge from the start has been to find a way for everyone to co-exist peacefully and safely. That said it still looks like a great place to paddle a yak. Unfortunately the biggest hurdle for access and long term usage at the moment is the damn cabomba weed, when I found the first plant, my heart sunk at a million miles an hour, I was hoping that I screwed up the ID and that the rangers would get a good laugh at my expense, but no such luck.

As to putting a SIP scheme in place, this would be a waste in my opinion. Not only does it place up a barrier to families and the once or twice year fishos, it would also reduce the overall funding that exists for Lake Kurwongbah.

Councillor Dwyer and Mayor Sutherland have committed funds for the next 5 years to increase stocking levels for the lake to benefit residents and visitors to the region, part of the discussions I had to achieve this funding related to barriers to usage not being employed whilst rate payers money makes up roughly 2/3's of stocking funds.

The rest of the funds come from Deedi, rec fishery enhancement program, when combined with council funding the local fish stocking group has the ability to stock at around 80% of maximum allowable capacity. SIP funding would at best produce only a quarter of the current funding and cause the loss Deedi funding and quite probably council funds as well.

Sweetwater:
Cabomba being present is will make electric motors are hard case to get over the line, but while noise boats still run props there's some grounds for being persuant.

In reality, I recon a kayak or two having a quiet paddle or flicking a lure does little or no harm to anyone; and I feel that most agencies would be of a similar oppinion. IMHO a gently gently approach in the first instance is best, then keep a simple but to the point approach (not waffling on with bullshit) is probably a better way to respond when the opportunity for input is there.

One thing is that with a consultation process, anyone who gives a rat's clanger can & often does get their "thing" some attention. That's can be better or worse for those not of the same oppinion.

The trick is knowing that one vote, in some cases does not always equal another. Sell your "thing" to the right person & it can make all the difference. Likewise, annoy the wrong person & you're up a certain creek.

Then you can get false representation as was evident in the Wyralong Dam Fishing Fiasco.

Agree with SD on the funding for Kurowngbah. The SIP process is easy to do & that is a decision that needs to be made by the man committee (PRFMA) to apply. Presently the Fisheries have some coin to splash around each year, Kurwongbah should be a coupla grand for fish each year. BUT the DEEDI dudget could change tomorrow, same with council. Long term (as in 5+ years) there is no gurantee of funding.

But lets keep this in persective, we're talking about Kurwongbah. Its an up & down, small fishery. Some would describe it as having marginal long term prospects for a good fishery due to high frequency of low water events. Its never going to be a Lake Mulwala, a Somerset, a 'Juck or an Awoonga. If the odd local kid can go catch a fish avery now & then, then I'll be happy how it all turned out.  :youbeauty

Cheers,

fitz..

maverick76:
Shayned,

Thanks for the info  :thanks  I obviously was not aware of the current arrangements in relation to funding for stocking etc.  Sorry to read about the Cabomba weed infestation  :thumbdown I am guessing it is going to be a difficult thing to get rid of.  Have I interpreted it correctly by thinking that "no usage being employed" meaning no access to other recreational craft other than those already approved?  I understand and respect that fact if thats a part of the funding arrangements.  I am happy to see the casual shore based anglers given free access to the lake so maybe a Boating Access Scheme would be better suited in this instance.  I guess there is a lot of factors to take in when these decisions are made and there a people better educated than I who make them.  Maybe I can convince one of the ski boats that he needs to test out my new 3" bibbed ski which works best when run at a couple of knots  :P

Regards and Thanks
Colin

Shayned:
Never say never, one day SIPS may be the only option, but it is a tiny pond with a massive population just a short drive away so hopefully a larger source of funds remains available into the future so the lake has a chance to be a good fishery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version